Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

hope mini help

roscopeco2000roscopeco2000 Posts: 135
edited April 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
i got a hope mini one of the older ones off ebay silver caliper i just fitted as upgrade to my deores, what a disappointment!!there weaker then my deore the lever!!i cant lock up the front wheel the lever is nearly back to the bars to get any bite,also ive noticed that one of the pads is closer to disc then the other is this normal?the wheel spins ok and it does work just not well.please help

• supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    edited May 2009
    One of the most over rated brakes out there. When WMB tested them on the dyno against old Deore, Deore offered more braking power, didn't overheat as quickly and weighed just 12g more.

However they may need bleeding, new pads and certainly sounds like the caliper needs centralising.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    adjusted the lever reach?

let them bed in?

reset the pistons?

cleaned the pistons on such an old brake?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • roscopeco2000roscopeco2000 Posts: 135
    wow really super i thought they were the best around!ok nick have you got a link to how to do all that stuff ive done none of it!!has lever got adjustment on it?reset the pistons!ive just looked and its 30 quid for a bleed kit i could have bought some of these tektro auriga prs mbuk are raving about for that!!what a bummer!
    can i bleed these without a hope bleed kit?i used to be car mechanic we would un do the resvoir un do the bleed nipple and as long as resvior was kept constantly topped up no air would get in the system would this work on hope minis?
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
  • Tank-slapperTank-slapper Posts: 968
    The Mono Minis were lightweight brakes for lightweight use. They don't have much stopping power, but they do have lots of 'feel'. Some like this and some don't.

Bleeding is easy: put a ring spanner over the bleed nipple and push a length of plastic tube onto the nipple long enough to reach a container standing on the floor. Turn the handle round on the handlebars so that the reservoir top is level. Take the top off the reservoir. Fill it with fresh brake fluid. Turn the spanner on the bleed nipple to open it and squeeze the lever. Close the nipple. Refill the reservoir, open the nipple, squeeze the lever, close the nipple. Repeat this until no air bubbles come out of the nipple or all the fluid has been replaced.

Take care not to spill any brake fluid as it is not very nice stuff.
    yeah that was another way we did it when i was car mechanic,prop is that method needs two people. it also uses same brake fluid dot 5.1 as my feista , which is a tip for anyone actually cos the car stuff is alot cheaper!!so basically i dont need the flash 30 quid hope brake kit.
  • stevieboystevieboy Posts: 704
    Nope, i've not needed it on my Mini X2 Pro's or my Tech M4's and both have been bled. I use Tank-Slappers method.

As for the power, if anything I find with my X2 Pro's that they teach your to be smoother and look ahead more, and they do allow you to be more controlled. This makes them an ideal race brake where you dont really stop as such. However, in an emergency I feel like they still have enough power. Now whether this is because the X2 version does have the claimed increase in power, or because your's need a bit of TLC and setting up i'm not sure.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • Louis84Louis84 Posts: 135
    I have been wondering......when bleeding, how many lever pumps does it take on average until all the initial fluid should have passed through the system? My brakes are doing the same and im sure they need bleeding, although I didnt do the old diaphram trick so im sure thats not helping either.
    as many as needed until all the air has been removed.

if there is air still in there then they are not bled.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Louis84Louis84 Posts: 135
    well how do you know when enough is enough! also, can you re-use the brake fluid?
    enough is when no more air comes out.

No.
  • T1beriousT1berious Posts: 438
    Just like Tank Slapper said, you can do it without a hope bleed kit (I have one and have never used it) 8mm closed spanner, hose from bleed nipple to container and Dot 5.1 brake fluid.

I've used Hope Mini's for years and have always found that after a good bleed, a good wash and sintered pads they have enough stopping power for me :)

But then again I'm not doing the Alps or anything crazy :D