Is this really worth £54?

The Spiderman
The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Is this perhaps the most blatant example of us being ripped off?
:http://www.rutlandcycling.com/6498/Shimano-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Bleeding-Kit.html?referrer=froogle1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid6498I used an empty shampoo bottle,some windscreen washer tube and a syrigne from ebay for less than a fiver.
Any other good examples?
2006 Giant XTC
2010 Giant Defy Advanced
2016 Boardman Pro 29er
2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
2017 Canondale Supersix Evo

Comments

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    is that the top of an old coat hanger on a bottle with a shimano sticker and a peice of tubing? and i thought the avid kit was dear for £22
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Wouldn`t mind but there`s not one part of that kit you actually need to bleed shimano brakes.

I bought a length of tubing and mineral oil from local car parts shop £2 and £6, childs medicine syringe 79p from any pharmacy and a sandwich bag. Bit cheaper than £54 :lol:
  • The Spiderman
    Oh yes don`t get me started on mineral oil.Just bought 100ml of Bikehits own brand for £5.Shimano do 50ml for £13.
    :evil:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Shimano are awful at the moment for spares...totally overpriced.

I know they are not alone but I think some of them are using inflation/rising costs/crap currency rates as an excuse to chuck on a few more quid.

Only way to stop it is to not buy it. Trouble is there's enough muppets out there willing to buy it no matter what the cost.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • The Spiderman
    You`d think Shimano would support people who already have their products,by keeping spares prices low.There are also some weird prices.I still don`t understand why an XT 44t outer chainring is £80 and a 32t middle a much more reasonable £30,for example.
    Their replacement cleats are now £18 almost the same as a pair of m520s can be bought off the internet.

I understand the reasons for the price increases,due to currency but some of the prices seem to have been thought up by someone using a" think of a number and double it" strategy!

It interesting to see that a lot of online shops haven`t bothered stocking some of the smaller Shimano service items,now or have alternatives in place.

When I buy my next road bike I might actually choose Campag.For example a lot of Shimano STI shifters are around £200,for even 105 level stuff now.By comparision you can get Campag ergos for £100.

I also don`t understand how they have managed to up the prices of their clothing,helmets and shoes too.

I haven`t noticed Next and M and S putting their clothing prices up and I bet these garments are manufactured in the same sweat shops!
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    That is ridiculous. I built up XT brakes from scratch with nothing more than a piece of tubing, a jam jar and a syringe I found at work (not the hyperdermic sort).

As pdid said you don't need any of it and could actually buy all those parts for around £ 15 and for a bit of minor felting you could make your own kit.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    i was talking to the guy at my lbs and he recons the prices they are buying the stock at from shimano importers hasnt gone up much just the rrp shimano are asking for has so he is kocking money off some of his parts as there over priced
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    loads of stuff is blatantly over priced with mtb kit, and we are all suckers for it, i mean, just look at this rip off:

click me
  • stumpyjon
    Well I clicked it........

just as well that sort of thing doesn't offend me :lol: .

cause I ride a spesh

• Anonymous
    stumpyjon wrote:

cause I ride a spesh

that was a pretty low blow by me wasnt it, i might edit the link for something less inflamatory
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I could name quite a few things I think are rip offs hehe, but would upset a few people!
  • Anonymous
    a couple more include thomson posts, chris king headsets, both nic enough but there are better alternatives available for lots less money.
  • Anonymous
    thomson stems!!
  • stumpyjon
    that was a pretty low blow by me wasnt it, i might edit the link for something less inflamatory

What, like this :lol:

• stumpyjon
    loads of stuff is blatantly over priced with mtb kit, and we are all suckers for it, i mean, just look at this rip off:

click me

Preserved for posterity in case he changes it......

• acac
    acac Posts: 348
    i brought this kit about 6 mouths ago from rutland cycles i only paid 26.99 i think i thought that was dear then
    play hard ride hard
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065

click me

LOL, The Orange owners club aren`t biting as readily these days :lol:

I`m sure I can remember a thread you started regarding stems by the end of which you bought a Thomson!!! (I`m also guilty as charged but my bike came with a Thomson seatpost and they have to match)
  • Anonymous
    pdid wrote:

click me

LOL, The Orange owners club aren`t biting as readily these days :lol:

I`m sure I can remember a thread you started regarding stems by the end of which you bought a Thomson!!! (I`m also guilty as charged but my bike came with a Thomson seatpost and they have to match)

I have a thomson stem, true. I also have 2 posts they are deffo too expensive though. But I like to treat myself
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,985
    As an orange owner I am not bothered - esp as nothing on this page has got close to the wifes spending or kids shoes which they recommend you replace every six weeks!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    stumpyjon wrote:

cause I ride a spesh

Specialized - the clitoris of MTB.

Cos every c***ts got one... :lol:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • stumpyjon
    It is certainly is my pleasure centre when it comes to riding :lol:

• Anonymous
    all i ever want is one orange owner to bite and i feel my work is done, good work y'winner.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Small things... :lol:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic