Do you like sealed cartridge bearings ?

volvicspar
volvicspar Posts: 208
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Just wondering what people think of them personally I hate them but I am sure the must be some who worship them :wink:

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    personally, I like them - but I couldn't eat more than two in one sitting....

wierd question....
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Where?

In bottom brackets - yes. In headsets - yes. In wheels - no.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    No I do not like them, I prefer bearings that can be serviced properly.
    It is cheaper to replace beraings and race than entire unit.
    Manufacturers after our money again :D
    I do not think the sealed units are of the same quality as they are in industry, I have gone through a wheel bearing and BB so far and had to replace.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I like them, but I would never buy them from hope etc......that would cost a fortune....

Much cheaper is to go to a local engineering firm that has bearing services...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I prefer them, fuss free and long lasting.

Cycles are the only vehicles that don't use them exclusively.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Cartridge bearings are a cheap solution to a complex problem. They will always last shorter than properly adjusted cup-and-cone bearings (the balls are much smaller) and they have no capacity for resisting side loads and lack of alignment, which is a problem in hubs.

That's why Campag stick with cup and cone for their top stuff (hubs at least) and Shimano stick with cup and cone throughout.

Of course, to make good cup and cone bearings is a skill that takes experience and resources, and the machine shop specials can't do that, so they buy whatever fits at the local bearing supply store for about 2 quid. And ask you for 10 times that.

And, of course, setting up cup and cone bearings does take a little skill, which, well......
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    modern headset bearings are angular contact bearings that take the 'side' loading - otherwise your forks would come loose after one ride.

i'm a fan of cartridge bearings - much easier to adjust.
    regards,
    dbb