what is it with some racing cyclists and etiquette?

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Went out yesterday, did 40 mile loop, not too fast as racing tonight.
As usual on last 5 miles to my home, I go up two climbs, Pedley Hill and Dunstable downs so I warm down in low gear.
Quite often people catch me and I have a chat and ride with them whilst warming down.
I also acknowledge riders on road and yesterday siad hi to a few oldies and racers alike.
I was half way up a 1 mile climb, Pedley hill, looked around and saw a guy closing in, looked fit, in racing kit, so I just eased not to make it look like I was racing away.
Well what laugh, about 30 seconds later, he was out of saddle, sprinting hard as he could, over on the right of road, exaclty as if atacking in a road race!!! Text book!!
Did not even say hi, or "sorry can't slow down, I am training" nothing, just a sprint past.
Red rag to a bull :D As I was on my Prince and in full red/black Prince kit, I looked the part, and I think he just did not want me near his Cannondale :D I changed from 36 x 19 to 50 16 and set off after his wheel.
To be fair he was very strong and obviously races, but after a concerted sprint managed to get to his wheel, and he could hear me gasping for air :D He stayed out of saddle to try to drop me, but I was now flying :D no word spoken :D
200m to go, and all of a sudden he slows down drastically and has to go on small ring, he's blown :D I just ride up alongside and sit in saddle, he never spoke at all :D
So if you are the guy on a Cannondale, in hoteldory kit who was riding up Pedley hill last night, it does not take much to say hi or acknowledge another rider, and it does not pay to try to sprint past them and look clever if you do not know whether your fit enoguh to do so, so either say hi next time, or get fitter to do the job properly :wink: ]
By the way, I was glad he turned off before the downs climb :D

Comments

• Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Have you thought he could have been doing hill intervals? And wasn't in a fit state to talk.

And you're just as much of a plonker chasing after him.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • oldwelshman
    Have you thought he could have been doing hill intervals? And wasn't in a fit state to talk.

Where's you sense of humour?
    Plomker for chasing him? I didn't chase as such, just went faster after he went past.
    If he was doing intervals then he would not have sprinted past on other side of road, and he was not going that fast behind me, anyway could still have just siad "Hi". Another thing if he was doing hill intervals he was not doing them very well as he would have misjudged the length as he blew before the top :D
    Maybe it is just me, but even when I train hard I acknowledge other cyclists even when gasping, not too difficult to raise a hand.
  • fraserq
    fraserq Posts: 14
    I did a 40 miler last weekend in East Lothian (Bonny Scotland). I must have passed at least 6 solitary cyclists kitted out and said hi to every one of them. Not a single reply, nothing, no nod, no wave. Some community eh?
    Very bitter!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323

Where's you sense of humour?
    Plomker for chasing him? I didn't chase as such, just went faster after he went past.
    If he was doing intervals then he would not have sprinted past on other side of road, and he was not going that fast behind me, anyway could still have just siad "Hi". Another thing if he was doing hill intervals he was not doing them very well as he would have misjudged the length as he blew before the top :D
    Maybe it is just me, but even when I train hard I acknowledge other cyclists even when gasping, not too difficult to raise a hand.

Some intervals are based on time i.e. 2 mins/ I min etc

BTW - sorry I didn't pick up on the humour in your post. I didn't realise there was any.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • oldwelshman
    The smiley faces may be a giveaway :wink:
    Yes your right it may have been a 2 minute interval, but unusual to complete the interval 200 m from the tp don't you think?
    In a race, misjudging the top like that would mean being dropped!! BUt then again I usually get dropped before then on climbs .
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    It was Chip
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I would've sent a telegram ahead to let you know i was coming,your highness! :lol:
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Sorry, I missed the bit where you said hi to him as you went past? ;)

This is of course when you werent chasing despite changing into your big ring - err righto so you were just carrying on as before then - I assume you just decided you'd been riding the rest of the hill in too easy a gear then...

how many times do we read the same old sh*t on here about acknowledging each other - anyone who can honestly say they never ever miss acknowledging somebody either lives in the ar*e end of nowhere with no traffic, is pootling along that slowly they have all the time in the world to take in all their surroundings or is a liar. I try to acknowledge other riders but sometimes because of traffic, looking at what's in front of me, thinking about something else or sometimes because I'm not in a good mood and simply cannot be ar*ed I miss the odd one... boo hoo, get over it

and if he was going hard up the hill yes he may have mistimed it - thats the point of doing it in training instead of in a race isnt it....??? :):):):):):):) (humour added...)
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Nah, he's just a git. There are loads of them round this way (I live near the old welsh chap). I always acknowledge other cyclists when I see them if we are not obscured from each other by traffic. I often got evil glares from roadies when I was on my MTB, with just the odd nod of the head or "hi" in passing from the less serious riders. In my experience from both riding and working in a shop it is always the ones who think of themselves as a "serious cyclist" who have an attitude problem..... the ones who do it simply for fun (again IME this includes 95% of MTBers) are friendly and chatty no matter whether they are on a training ride or just out to escape a crying baby/wife/husband/dog.

Nothing like showing up a show off!!!!! Well done OldWelshMan!!!
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I acknowledge all cyclists normally.
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Red rag to a bull As I was on my Prince and in full red/black Prince kit, I looked the part, and I think he just did not want me near his Cannondale

or did you not want to get over taken by a cannondale!

Only just started road riding, must say not as freindly as mtbing, nobody acknowledges me when i say hi or nod at them!

Either Roadies are miserable or i look worse than i thought in lycra :lol:
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • oldwelshman
    strodey wrote:
    Red rag to a bull As I was on my Prince and in full red/black Prince kit, I looked the part, and I think he just did not want me near his Cannondale

or did you not want to get over taken by a cannondale!

Only just started road riding, must say not as freindly as mtbing, nobody acknowledges me when i say hi or nod at them!

Either Roadies are miserable or i look worse than i thought in lycra :lol:

Aha I never though about the fact a Cannondale was passing a Prince :lol:
    To be honest, quite often I see MTB riders and casual riders and when they see me often most don't wave or say hi, but when when I wave or shout "morning" they wave back or say hi, it seems as if they were not really expecting me to acknowledge them. Perhaps thats what happens usually to them.
    I agree sometimes if commuting or on busy roads it must be a nightmare and almost impossible to acknowledge everyone and to be honest would not expect it, but on an open country road with no traffic either way it does not take much effort.
    4 days ago I met a chap going up the downs and he was new, nice bike, and I rode with him for chat and he wants to join a club so I said I would ride with him from Dunstable to Hemel to introduce him to the club run there as I ride to Hemel and ride from there with another group (not a club just a group of riders from different clubs).
    That did not take much effort and now they may have an extra member. Hope he does not get fit too fast as he does not live far from me so may be chaisng me up hills :lol:
  • oldwelshman
    Airwave wrote:
    I would've sent a telegram ahead to let you know i was coming,your highness! :lol:
    Why thank you :D Almost missed the joke "prince" :D
    You remember telegrams? you must be old as me 8)