Ouch...that double in Swinley Forest

nozzac
nozzac Posts: 408
edited April 2009 in MTB general
Regulars at Swinley will probably know the jump gully (aka Sandy Gully) and the double at the end of the jump section.

I did all the wrong things - tried jumping whilst it was wet and slippy, doing it alone, saying "just this last try" and looking at the gap between the mounds to see if I'd cleared it, instead of spotting the landing.

Next thing I knew I woke up lying in mud 10 foot down with broken ribs and stars literlly whizzing around my head. The 2 mile ride home was agony. Now I won't be able to ride for a couple of weeks I suspect since I can't take a full breath.

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Ooooops.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    If it's cracked ribs its more likely to be a couple of months before you can ride properly and with confidence that you are not going to be in agony each time you twist or breath-in too hard.

Hopefully you have just bruised them, in which case you'll feel better a lot more quickly.

Either way, good luck, and remember to tackle that double again as soon as possible! 8)
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ooo you donkey.

Must have cased it pretty bad then :(

Not a big fan of the double at the end, its not great (plus i'm not really into DJ's, enjoy DH/FR and drops a lot more).

BTW... get to A+E.
  • As a veteran of rib injuries, I really wouldn't bother with A&E, they can't do anything about your ribs whether they are broken or not.

If you do go, top tip, go to Heatherwood much much quicker.

I'm rubbish at that double, always get caught in 2 minds.

Get well soon.
  • depends... it might not be his ribs, you can never tell. something internal could be torn/bleeding etc etc.
    Don't know if you remember the advert, but one of the THINK adverts about driving showed that internal injuries can be missed very easily.
    Better to be safe than sorry.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i am currently sporting a busted toe.

my boss asked me if i had been to hospital to which i replied.....'why? so I can waste 3 hours of my life and be told to MTFU, tape it up and take paracetemol.'

I have always done the same with the ribs, but as bigbenj says....anything out of the ordinary then get yourself to the docs quickly smart
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • HarryX
    HarryX Posts: 36
    My mrs damaged a rib last weekend, went A&E and 9 hours later got told she'd bust a rib and punched a hole in her lung. Good job we went A&E as a pneumothorax is not something to be ignored.

I'd get the hospital if it's sore mate.