New Freehub body?

Limpet
Limpet Posts: 27
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Hello anyone! Help! I have replaced cones and bearings on my stx rc rear hub and it spins lovely now with no friction. However when the wheel is in the frame and I spin it if I put my finger onto the cassette there is a 'lumpy' dragging action which doesn't feel too good. If I replace the freehub body (seems quite costly) for a new one is this likely to solve it? I am quite convinced it is not the new cones causing the problem. Any advice would be very welcome. . .Ta.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if the wheel spins freely when the freehub is also rotating, then the roughness must be the freehub, as you suggest.

You can blast the freehub with WD40/parafin and try and flush all the crud, then relube it by sitting it in oil, and so on. This can get a few more miles out of it. Check ebay for s/hand freehubs if you don't want to fork out for a new one.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I replaced the freehub on my R540 wheels. The inner race on the drive side is actually in hte freehub, and it was pitted. New one bought from Ultimate Pursuits for about 20 quid.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    If you are quite a competent mechanic you could strip it and clean it out inside.
    They have very thin shims which you can remove to take up any play in the bearings making it like a new freehub.
    You will need to fabricate a tool though to remove the freehub cone, its just a thick piece of metal bar you need really.
    If you try it watch for loads of small bearings too.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I dismantly my rear hub every time my bike gets serviced (by myself) right down to the free-hub, and then pack it with Dura-Ace grease. Not reccomended by anyone, but it works for me. Nice and silent too 8)

Silent.

Anyway, I have cartridge bearings, so it's not really a problem. Dunno about your hub, but it's worth a try. Get an old towel first though, so any loose bearings that may fall out, will land on the towel, so you don't loose them all.

What the worst that could happen?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If you want to dismantle your freehub body...
    http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/freehub.htm

Alternatively you can just buy a new one

Or maybe look out for a whole new hub - I bought a new Tiagra rear hub and took the freehub body off it for about half the price of a new freehub body for my R550's...
  • Limpet
    Limpet Posts: 27
    Many thanks to - maddog2, Themechanic,wappygixer,bigchazrocks and andywrx for your helpfull advice on freehub bodys. I will let you know how it goes. . .