Handlebar Width

iainmoss
iainmoss Posts: 88
edited May 2009 in Workshop
A few months ago I converted a flat bar to drops. I estimate I've cycled at least 1000 miles since. (150 miles per week of what I'd describe as a fast commute)

Although I don't have any obvious problems with my current set-up it is 'officially' incorrect. I'm using 42cm bars but since conversion I've been measured by my LBS as needing a 38cm or less! (I'm a slim chappy, crease-to-crease of my shoulders is about 32cm)

Would I benefit from reducing my bar width? Your opinions please!

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Would be a more comfortable and aerodynamic ride for you. Not 100% necessary to change the bars though.
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Interesting....I'm thinking that I could do with wider bars on my road bike - I'm fairly broad but relatively short - not the slight italian Bianchi probably had in mind for a 53cm frame!

How do you actually determine what size you should be using?

Cheers,
    Steve
  • Coincidentally I've just been looking into bar sizing and found this helpful guide.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    42cm are fairly narrow by modern standards - I would just stick with them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    If they are comfortable then that's all that matters.
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Thanks for the replies, guide looks handy.

With regard to comfort - I agree, by enlarge, except with my cross bike where I want to get plenty of leverage and not have the front end too twitchy. However, my road bike currently has (I think) a 38cm bar. I'm getting some aches when riding that I think are possibly due to the width. Also, bit close together when my hands are on the tops.

I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
    Steve