Any aspiring framebuilders out there?

Fred Steele
Fred Steele Posts: 81
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I've just completed my first frame build, and I was wondering if there are any like-minded people out there who might want to share some kind of workspace to do this kind of thing.

I've been on a welding & metalwork course, built my own jigs, have Cytech 1 (woo), etc. Currently working as a courier, I live in Hackney, and braze.

Matt

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fred.

You can't say you've just built your first frame and not post pictures of it!

What sort of sicko are you?!?

I'd love to build a frame but I have not the talent, equipment or tools. I have the time though!

I look forward to you correcting the lack of pictures issue!
  • Some ropey pics via the link below.
    You'll see that my current setup is rather "Fred Flintstone".

She'll be painted soon, so I'll get some more pics taken.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matts_bike_stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cool, look forward to it.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I've been looking into building things using carbon fibre... Had a little play around recently trying to make a carbon rim at my mate's workshop.

I'm miles off being able to do a whole frame though!
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Hats off to you. Nice looking lugs and neat brazing, what tubing is it? This is on my to do one day list i.e. probably when I retire and really need a wheelchair...
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd love to be able to build frames but talking to people who have done it including a guy in our club who used to do it for a living it would have to be as a hobby rather than a living - one of those things for another life I think.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I'm planning to build myself a touring frame and fork over the summer.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    I built myself a nice audax frame and fork at Harry Quinn's farm back in the 80's - a week's residential course. Very satisfying too.

This link may be of interest to budding frame builders:

http://www.frameforum.org/forum3/index.php
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Nice job, I've built four tandems and two solos, careful it's addictive, unfortunately 5 hours North of Hackney.
  • I made it from Reynolds 853 (main tubes) and 725 for the stays.

I think I want to do this forever.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    edited April 2009
    Double post sorry
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Chapeau!

I dream of going on one of Dave Yates framebuilding courses.

Next year maybe..

There may be a niche making bespoke fixed frames for fellow messengers, it could be quite culty if it caught on.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    robbarker wrote:
    Chapeau!

Who exactly are you calling a cheapo??

:lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • little wiser
    little wiser Posts: 662
    hi i used to do this for a living made hundreds :D mtb, road, time trail, tandems, well every thing really and used to love it would like to get back into it but dont think that will ever happen . used to build from scratch to full bike ace to see finished product and be proud of it only think is i dont have any of my frames!!!!!