Here Halfords go again...

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited May 2009 in MTB general
WIth their 'half price' budget bikes. Take a look at this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Sorry, but that was never a £320 bike, even if the store had it that price for 28 days or whatever the ridiculous law is that allows people to get away with this. It has been 10 years since a 320 quid bike came with a fork made from pressed steel, 7 speed and a threaded headset.

I have a lot of respect for the Boardman and Carreras, but this is shameful.

Please don't fall for the trap.

Comments

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Sadly people do fall for it on a daily basis :(
  • That's a behemoth. I bet it weighs more than the rider. I love terms like making out that the tyres are perfect for any off road condition too!
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • supersonic
    Aye.

From the Raleigh website, the RRP of this bike with a very similar spec (and afront disc!) is £195:

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?id=595

£350 rrp get you dual discs, adjustable fork, 24 speed, Aheadset:

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?id=34
  • That is an utterly hideous heap of junk.

This is the sort of crap that we rip into fleabay sellers for trying to pass off as Mountain Bikes when they clearly are no such thing. Frankly, I think it would be dangerous taking that *thing* offroad.

I just feel so sorry for the poor sod who buys this piece of 5h!t instead of saving for a bit longer to buy something worthwhile.
  • tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    don't forget the accessories that glow like broad daylight neither, its shocking however on a serious note and the amount of people who will buy it thinking that its a great deal will be a high count.
  • supersonic
    It is more of a MTB/hybrid really. Might be ok for flat paths and bridleways, but a 320 quid MTB it just never was.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I think "sales" like these also devalue the brand name too. People think they're buying an expensive bike but they ride it once and realise its not up to the job. Not saying Raleigh is super massively prestigious brand but its not at the bottom of the pile which is what people might think when they buy it.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    That's a behemoth. !
    :lol::lol::lol:

Nope, THIS is a Behmoth..... and very very nice it is too! 8)
    http://www.lenzsport.com/behemoth.html

Can Halfords not be done under trade acts at all? Seems an awful shady thing to be doing...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    supersonic wrote:
    It is more of a MTB/hybrid really. Might be ok for flat paths and bridleways, but a 320 quid MTB it just never was.

It's not even that really is it. A halfway decent hybrid would have rigid forks and an aheadset stem, would be lighter and handle more predictably without those forks.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bigboned
    bigboned Posts: 151
    Was in a halfrauds today and the guys there at least were offering this as a trail bike rather than MTB, hope they all do that!
    For the muddy - Boardman comp frame ( to match the roadie) running saint/ fox
    For the blacktop - Boardman Pro Carbon

'Currently listening to Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls'
  • ...they can't even use the correct version of 'there' in THEIR adverts...

:roll:
  • supersonic
    Maybe someone would like to ask a question in the section they have for the bike? Be the first?!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    supersonic wrote:
    Maybe someone would like to ask a question in the section they have for the bike? Be the first?!

Done, but somehow I don't think this will get shown as it's pending approval at the mo.

Why are you claiming that this bike has sold for £320 when the RRP from Raleigh is £195? Do your customers not realise what a rip-off Halfrauds are?
    :oops: :roll:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • supersonic
    Hehe, straight to the point!

It isn't exactly the same bike at the raleigh site, but a similar one.

I really think the law should be changed. Instead of 28 days at a price to claim 'was', 6 months minimum. If challenged over an RRP, they should have to prove similar goods at that RRP are available. Of course the devil is in the detail, 'recommended' is a term that can be abused.
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    sometime wish Raleigh should start selling their "Real" mountain bikes here like they do in the states . Some of the rigs there are comparable to anything kona, carrera or Trek bring out here
  • Just seen the advert on TV, how bad... :roll:
  • supersonic
    Not seen the ad yet.

I have seen Raleigh USA bikes, not sure how they are related to the UK arm. I knew they started concentrating on low end and kids bikes, but have recently relaunched the MTrax range.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    ...they can't even use the correct version of 'there' in THEIR adverts...

:roll:
    Idiots.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • you're all forgetting that the reason the bike is worth £320 is because it has 'Shimano Revoshift shifters' :lol::lol::lol:
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ratty2k wrote:
    Can Halfords not be done under trade acts at all? Seems an awful shady thing to be doing...
    No it's all legal. All they have to do is have the bike for sale at the inflated price at a small number of their stores nation wide for something like 28 days. They can then mark all the bikes as discounted across all their stores quoting the inflated price as the starting point.

This loophole could do with closing if at all possible.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Unfortunately, Halfords are not the only retailer to do this. Most of the online shops are guilty. It has now reached the point where it is difficult to say who is giving the correct retail price.
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    jairaj wrote:
    I think "sales" like these also devalue the brand name too. People think they're buying an expensive bike but they ride it once and realise its not up to the job. Not saying Raleigh is super massively prestigious brand but its not at the bottom of the pile which is what people might think when they buy it.

Yeah i agree Raleigh should step up in the market and start producing top bikes as its shame to see bikes like that at that so called price 300+ is rubbish no way that price compared what can get for that price, so they should get their name back up in the world, how ever i would buy a cheap bike like that or what ever for a run about to town or work etc thats it but not at that price ill pay 100 thats it or less.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Raleigh are currently doing the exact same thing on their website with a view to a summer 'promotion' to try and compete with halfords at the bottom end of the market. I hate retailing tactics as these, just puts them in the same league as Halfords, Toys'r'us and the like and makes a mockery of their desire to move back into the higher end of the market. [/quote]
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    They haven't posted my question :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • supersonic
    I wonder if there is anything we can do to stop this practice? Some group action, petition, maybe a few of us contact watchdog?

While it is legal it will keep happening.
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    I'd say if you're wanting to complain I'd maybe try BBC's watchdog as they're quite happy to run with stories that are legally fine but morally not (which this falls into) and "rip-off Britain" stories are quite popular
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

Paul, as forum moderator and topic starter, I think you should be the one to do the deed :D

Could be good to set up an online petition here > http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ to go with the complaint. would show watchdog how many people it has annoyed..
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I would dearly love to see Raleigh start producing top range bikes again. hell I'd settle for middle range. The first bike that was bought for me (as opposed to inherited from my brother) was a Raliegh.

I'd sign that petition. It's one shady law sideways from being an outright scam.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Mickey Eye wrote:
    I would dearly love to see Raleigh start producing top range bikes again. hell I'd settle for middle range. The first bike that was bought for me (as opposed to inherited from my brother) was a Raliegh.

What, like THIS?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic