afix to the bike Vs carry

big_scot_nanny
big_scot_nanny Posts: 99
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Hello folks,

I have been out the MTB scene for about 10 years, but a recent move to CH prompted a new bike purchse (Stumpy FSR) and easy access to nice trails and good buddies.

But, I would like to canvas you guys on where you carry your extra stuff, e.g. pump, tube, mini tool.

I have a wee saddle pack with mini tool and tube + tyre levers and puncture repair kit, and a mini pump affixed to my bottle bosses on the downtube.

I also have bar ends to allow hand shifting comfort. :oops:

I do not have mudgaurds, but frankly it appears that all I need to complete the sad out of date look would be that. :wink:

Where do you all carry the repair stuff, given that i wouldn't leave without it.

Always backpack? shirt back pocket.

Kev

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    backpack for me.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    backpack for me.

+1

With camelbak.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Where do you all carry the repair stuff, given that i wouldn't leave without it.
    I used to put everything on the bike until I got another bike and then a pack was the only way to switch between the two. I think a bike feels bad when it's loaded up esp. off-road.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have a small seat pack for tube, patches, multitool. However, I carry everything else in my camelbak.

I don't really like the look of water bottles or pumps stuck on my bike. As for mudguards - I'm happy with the way the 09 CrudCatcher looks on my bike but have never liked rear mudguards.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • +1 all bunged in the camel back.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    All in the bag, nothing strapped to the bike!
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    all in the camelbak

slainte 8) rob
  • Wow, thanks for al the responses. I have a larger Dueter cycling backpack that I stick a reservoir in for longer trips, but will look into a really small camelback just to fit the essentials.

I will search as well, but if anyone fancied dropping a couple of hints on a teeny tiny camelback that I can fit the sapre tube and tools in, that would be great. BTW, I am large AND fat so it's gotta have some decent sized shoulder straps and I guess waistband (although if really small I guess waistband not so impartant?)

Thanks!

BTW, should I stop looking for a padded triangular bag to fit between top and seat tube now? It was a bugger to find one for a full sus frame... :wink:
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    i picked up a camelbak chaos from leisure lakes - compact backpack with a 2L bladder and more than enough room for a topeak alien multitool / a leatherman-esque tool / tyre levers / mini pump with room left for some snacks and / or a waterproof

slainte 8) rob
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'll 2nd the Chaos, big enough for lengthy rides but compact enough not to get in the way.

Plently of clips and straps for pads too :)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Tube/tiny pump/exactly the tools I need & no more goes under the saddle (where it can't be forgotten!) and a bottle in the rear cage (for better weight distribution, natch), then a small Karrimoor bag if I'm out long enough to need the bladder/more clothes/compass/first aid kit/foil blankets/energy bars...

Really dislike having stuff on me if I can possibly avoid it though.

Actually, two energy bars & my tiny waterproof fit in back pockets neatly for most trips, then any repairs could be dealt with by fashioning rope from plaited grass stems into rope & tying things back into place...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Hello all, many thanks again for the advice.

Update from me: I bought a Camelback Rogue, 2L juice 2L storage. Perfect size, I think, as I already have a larger back for big trips. Went out today for 1.5 hour blast round the local hill/woods on my jack jones (was working fro home, fabulous to get a spin in at lunchtime :D ). 3 main observations:

1) Bike did feel a little different without the saddle bag bouncing around (never could get a really secure fit), pump filling up with mud, or the water bottle mouthpiece getting covered in sh*t. :evil:

2) Not having a bottle actually gave 1 major benefit that I had just 'got used to'. The design of the 08 stumpy FSR is such that with a bottle in the cage, on about 2/3rds to full compression of the rear sus, the position is such that the bottle would hit the shock, and hence the pro-pedal lever, normally flicking it to lock. Now, as this is normally on some awful rooty/rocky bit of terrain, it is somewhat ironic that the stuff that really compresses the shock is the stuff that flicks it to full lock. Cue panic and back wheel suddenly bouncing all over the place. Design flaw by Specialized? :? (I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but surely it can't just be me?). Anyhoo, cured by no bottle.

3) The pack is really invisible on your back. I was amazed that with the straps done up tight, and the wee chest strap on, I rode about completely forgetting about it till I needed some liquid. Fabulous. Only got a bit sweaty on a newly discovered bit of trail that turned out to be 15 minute uphill bounce fest on mud and rocks. lovely. :lol:

So, many thanks folks, if anyone happens to read this that has an 08 Stumpjumper FSR, i'd love to know if your bottle knocks your lever, so to speak.

Kev
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    big_scot_nanny

I think you'll be the only one - everyone else uses a Camelback, or equivelent.

It's a bit out-dated to use bottle cages on off-road bikes!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • TOP TIP: it's a good idea to especially keep your mobile phone in your backpack rather than in a saddlebag so if you come off and find yourself in a bad way then you can access your phone to call help rather than trying to make it to your bike with b roken legs which went 20yds the opposite direction !! :lol:
  • big_scot_nanny

I think you'll be the only one - everyone else uses a Camelback, or equivelent.

It's a bit out-dated to use bottle cages on off-road bikes!

Yeah, thanks for that :)

Geordiefreerider, good point. Hadn't considered that as another potential advantage. Charming thought! :D

Kev
  • I still keep my bottle holder as well as a camelbak I know loads who do the same, its handy if you want to keep a can of stella in for post trail hero celebrations ha ha !! :wink:
  • I still have a bottle holder and minipump mount for bombing around uni , along with a seat post mount for my cable lock. however, normally I stick the pump and lock in a backpack with other bits if i'm planning to head out for a real ride.

Also am I the only person who carries bottles and a platypus?
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    I still keep my bottle holder as well as a camelbak I know loads who do the same, its handy if you want to keep a can of stella in for post trail hero celebrations ha ha !! :wink:

Geordie, if I ever see you about to crack open a stella I'll be running for cover before it explodes!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world