Replacement black clippy thing for crankset?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2009 in Workshop
Hi.

Sorry for the odd title, I dont know what it is called, but on the Shimano cranksets you have that little hook clippy thing with a pin in it, well I took my 175mm crankset I am going to sell off my bike today and I notice the black thing was broke, pin bent and black plastic cracked, so I would like to know if replacements are available before I sell it.

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    The part numeber is: Y-1GE98050

You can buy it here.

Pedro

Edit: Check here for yourself to see if I have understood which part you are talking about.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Anonymous
    Would I be able to sell the crankset for the same price with the broken one and inform then where to buy this or would I get more money buy buying this plate and selling the crankset with it?
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    For the sake of a quid, I think you would be better buying a new one.

You could throw in the old one as a spare.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    For the sake of a quid, I think you would be better buying a new one.

You could throw in the old one as a spare.

Pedro

He can't afford it. He's spent all his money on pills and potions for his knee. :wink:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    willhub wrote:
    Would I be able to sell the crankset for the same price with the broken one and inform then where to buy this or would I get more money buy buying this plate and selling the crankset with it?

So let me get this straight, you're asking if you'll get the same amount of cash selling something that's broken and requires repair (albeit incredibly minor), or something that's in perfect working order?

Spend the one pound and a penny on the little plastic thingy. Simple as that.

Of course, another issue, and more pertinent to you, is why did it break? Has the crank been overtightened? Or did you break it by just trying to prise it out using some keys as a makeshift jemmy or something?
  • Anonymous
    For your bloody information it wasent me who broke it, I do not know how it broke, I havent done anything with this bike untill now.

I simply unscrewed the alan bolts, I then unscrewed the black bearing preload, I then took the clip out, and noticed it was bent and wondered how this happened? Maybe it was done at the factory or something? I've heard people saying the cranks have been overtightened at the factory before.

Anyway I've put another R700 now by MYSELF, and I have not damaged anything, working fine, went for a ride, lovely and my legs really apprechiate that 5mm less difference.
  • Ash_
    Two things:
    willhub wrote:
    For your bloody information it wasent me who broke it.

1) Calm down. I wasn't really insinuating that you broke it, hence the use of the antiquated and seldom-used word 'jemmy'.
    willhub wrote:
    it wasent me who broke it, [...] I havent done anything with this bike untill now.

2) This one may be of more use. Seeing as this came off your new bike, and you haven't touched it. Why not go back to that shop and ask them for a replacement 'widget'. I mean, you've just spent the best part of a grand with them, the least they can do is give you a little one-pound plastic spacer gratis.

Oh, and good to hear it appears to have alleviated you knee trouble (that was a long thread on Cake Stop, wasn't it?).
  • Anonymous
    Well anything that goes wrong with my bike and I post on these forums there is always someone that jumps up and blames me for it, all the time, so you can hardly expect me to not react to that.

I would have gone to the shop, but I am in Manchester atm, I bought it in Haxby, York.

I havent got rid of my knee troubles, I just went for a steady easy 14 mile ride, averaged 17mph despite taking it really easy and it been windy.

Anyway my right knee which is the one that had the problems I felt nothing from it so that was good, but my left knee is abit bad now, not due to cycling however, more due to cycling accident, I fell off and my knee hit the road at about 18mph and bruised under the knee cap, the bruising has gone away mostly but it hurts putting pressure on it sometimes, not all the time and if I try to stretch my leg out as much as I possibly can it hurts a little.

I'm annoyed about my left knee as now I really cannot cycle unless essential (going to college), on the 14 miles today I found even though I've hardly done any cycling for like 1 and a half weeks my fitness has not dropped at all, infact I think I'm faster now.
  • Ash_
    willhub wrote:
    my left knee is abit bad now, not due to cycling however, more due to cycling accident, I fell off and my knee hit the road at about 18mph and bruised under the knee cap

Ah, but look on the bright side. The mysterious problems of your right knee appear to have cleared up. At least you know what the problem is with your left knee, and it's sure to heal soon enough. And if not, at least you can identify the root of the problem and get it swiftly seen to.
  • Anonymous
    Well I cant say for sure if the problems have cleared up on my right knee, I only took it steady, 14 miles, doctors are requesting an MR scan or whatever it is, I'll get em to do it on my left leg and hand too as I've damaged something in my hand when I crashed.