Which XTR for sram 32 cassete?

denispearl
denispearl Posts: 152
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello. JUst was about to upgrade my xt on xtr.
I have a problem here.
There are many different rear XTRs around? all this short/ long cages, rapid-rises. Just completely lost.
Which one should i get? Ive got sram 32 cassete.
I dont want Shadow tho.
Thanks

Comments

• jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    If you're running three rings at the front, you'd be best with a long cage. If you're fixed at the front then a short cage will do. There's a FAQ covering this in more detail. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12546123

Rapid rise means that the spring works the opposite way to normal. The result is that you use the opposite button on the shifter to shift up / down. Ie, small button, releasing tension in the cable moves the shifter to a lower gear (larger cog) at the rear with the assistance of the spring. I'd stick with what you're used to as it's mental pain to switch between the two (and I speak as a chap with two bikes using the different methods!)

As you've decided you don't want a shadow mech then the choices above should have narrowed it down somewhat.

Regards

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • denispearl
    denispearl Posts: 152
    jmj wrote:
    If you're running three rings at the front, you'd be best with a long cage. If you're fixed at the front then a short cage will do. There's a FAQ covering this in more detail. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12546123

Rapid rise means that the spring works the opposite way to normal. The result is that you use the opposite button on the shifter to shift up / down. Ie, small button, releasing tension in the cable moves the shifter to a lower gear (larger cog) at the rear with the assistance of the spring. I'd stick with what you're used to as it's mental pain to switch between the two (and I speak as a chap with two bikes using the different methods!)

As you've decided you don't want a shadow mech then the choices above should have narrowed it down somewhat.

Regards

J
    Thanks a lot. Will stick to a long cage