Layback seatpost

hoochylala
hoochylala Posts: 987
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Recently as my riding has what I hope to call progressed, I started to feel that I need to shift my weight more over the back of the bike. With this is mind I started playing around with my seat rail position on the seat post and have found a position that is comfortable. The position means that the seat is really far forward on it's rails and this makes me a little big unsure as to whether this is safe/acceptable?

Starting to look at my options to resolve this and am thinking that a layback seatpost might be the answer? What are my options here? Done a bit of a search but seems of could be a bit of a mine field! :)

Currently running a 31.6 easton ea30 seatpost if that helps which already seems to have a slight layback to it where the saddles sits, is something like the Thompson kinked seatpost what I'm after? Thoughts and ideas please guys :)

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The rail on the seat is there to be used so if you have found a good position, I'd just leave it.

You might need to ride a lot of miles to confirm if the new seat position is ok for you though. I know from my own experience that having my seat too far back causes pain in the rear of my knee.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    do you mean the seat is pushed far back and the clamp is near the front of the seat?
  • hoochylala
    Cheers daz, maybe I need to give it a few more miles before deciding!
    do you mean the seat is pushed far back and the clamp is near the front of the seat?

Yeah sheep, the nose of the seat is closest to the clamp/seatpost
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    as mentioned already, the saddle can be mounted all along the rails so will be fine i would imagine but a lay back post might well stretch the cockpit out if that is what you are after.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    hoochylala wrote:
    With this is mind I started playing around with my seat rail position on the seat post and have found a position that is comfortable. The position means that the seat is really far forward on it's rails and this makes me a little big unsure as to whether this is safe/acceptable?
    That's what the rails are for. Although a layback post can improved a cramped cockpit, it can also compromise your pedalling action. It may be worth experimenting with an inexpensive layback post before getting a Thomson.
  • hoochylala
    Thanks for the quick responses and help chaps, put my mind at rest a bit, I wouldn't mind seeing what it feels like to have the cockpit stretched out a bit more and try out a cheaper variety of layback post first as suggested - any ideas on a brand or particular post this might be? :)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    A longer stem will also stretch you out more, as will rotating your bars forward - assuming your bars have a sweep to them).
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.