Fat Lad Wants a MTB - Carrera Fury Take The Weight?

jonabonospen
jonabonospen Posts: 3
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys n gals,

I am in the process of a health kick trying to lose some serious weight and am wanting a bike which i can start by taking on canal tow paths and easy rides with the kids, but then can also once i get a bit fitter, cope with starting to try my hand at some more serious stuff.

I have had a couple of good bikes in the past (13 years or so ago) like a good Carrera and then a Scott. So i like to have reasonable quality components on a bike even though im not totally aware of their technical abilities.

I have therefore been looking at various reviews on here and see that maybe the Carrera Fury is the bike for. I wanted to know though if there is a weight limit which these bikes are designed for? I am 18 stone. Is there something else i should get instead?

Cheers.

Comments

• jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    Any quality MTB will take 18 stone, I was 18 stone in december when I got back into MTbing and now weigh 15.5 stone, my trek took everything I chucked at it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i wouldnt imagine you will have any trouble with your weight on a bike, the only consideration is tht if you have a coil spring in your fork, it will probably need to be uprated as it will come with a standard spring fitted which invariably is only suitable for around 11-12 stones.
  • Da Mighty Chicken
    Da Mighty Chicken Posts: 1,200
    edited April 2009
    I agree with Sheepsteeth, I have just bought a Carrera Fury for my wife and obviously have taken it for a test spin, it handled my weight fine (i'm currently 18.5stone) no creaks or moans so far, but the Tora coil sprung shocks are too soft for me, they really dive under my weight but they are ok for my wife, so you'd want to change the springs.

HTH's :D
  • sionydwi
    sionydwi Posts: 30
    Thought it might be useful to say that the xtra firm srping for my rockshox recons cost about £20 + labour.
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    You'll be fine at 18st on any bike really. I'm about that and have no problems on my two bikes.
  • Cheers for the responses guys its put my mind at ease.

Just bought myself a nice seocnd hand one from ebay with some panaracer fire xc pro tyres on for £238 which i feel is quite a bargain considering they are still £500 in Halfords. So we will see how i get on. Sure i will be posting on here again and using it for help.

Cheers again guys.