Force needed to remove square-taper cranks?

jrab
jrab Posts: 99
edited April 2009 in Workshop
Campag Mirage chainset on Campag square-taper BB. Removed retaining bolt, screwed-in extractor tool, gave it a couple of big-ish heaves. Nothing - no sign of any sign of movement....

Never done this before, don't want to strip threads or do other damage. If you believe the tutorials on the web this is not a brute-force job, but chances are they're nicely pre-loosened. Mine has not been off for ~14 years so may be a bit tight!

Am I likely to have to get physical with it, maybe tap the extractor arm with a mallet etc, or is this risky?

Cheers
Richard.

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    make sure your extractor is fully screwed in before you start winding. You should have no problems then, but yes, you may have to give it a bit of welly.

Don't do what I did once and apply the extractor without removing the crankbolt first, that creates a mess.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    A bit of heat from a hairdryer, or heat gun can work wonders. Just take care, particularly with a heat gun on any lacquered or painted surfaces.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • dvh798
    dvh798 Posts: 16
    Whilst its under tension I pour boiling water over the crank arm, the alloy arm expands quicker than the steel axle and pops off
  • jrab
    jrab Posts: 99
    Thanks guys. Good tips, especially the point about thermal expansion of aluminium V steel.

One crankset now safely removed and replaced.

Cheers
    Richard