KMC Chain

gene_poole
gene_poole Posts: 20
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
My new bike has a KMC Z7 chain (8 speed).

I think they have used GLUE for lubricant, but that's not my question.

Why on earth didn't they fit a KMC Missing Link on the chain?

Anyway I'd now like to fit one but it says in tiny letters on the chain links, the word "Narrow"

What is "Narrow"? Will any 8 speed KMC link or a SRAM link fit my "Narrow" chain?

All it says on the KMC site is that the Z7 chain is silver/brown, is for 8 speeds and is 1/2" × 3/32"

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes any 8spd link will work.

Oh and the lube on the chain should be left on there.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    Factory Lube

New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.

This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.

Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!

The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    QUOTE: This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
    This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.

I have always wondered this, thanks nicklouse.

But can you buy this grease? You must be able to somewere, if its the best stuff in the world for bike chains then why not market it.

Thanks
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    I think that you find that the factory lube is actually applied during the manufacturing process either during assembly or under extremely high pressure once the the chain is assembled. The factory lube is much more viscous than any after market product. If you just smeared the factory lubricant onto the chain I presume you would not be able to get it between the rollers and end up with a very sticky mess.