Falcon Oxford

Flenser
Flenser Posts: 372
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Picked up an old racer from Freecycle last night and I was wondering if it's worth doing up or if it's a scrapper...

It's an old (I think) Falcon Oxford.

The tyres are flat and perished, the wheels have broken spokes, the chain is, err... rust and the peddles are seized.

It would make a nice little project but I think the parts are going to cost waaaay more than the end product will be worth (monetarily and otherwise).

What do you reckon?
Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)

Comments

• Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    Go on then give me a clue.

Does no-one know? Is it because I'm new here? Isn't it a fashionable enough bike? What?
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • Teuchter
    Teuchter Posts: 102
    Did you ever find out anything about this bike?

I picked one up on ebay last year in not bad condition for a mere £30. Rode it as a second commuting bike for six months before deciding to convert it to a fixie. That project's been my "work on it when I don't have any other projects going" project. So far I've resprayed the frame in British Racing Green, handpainted the lugs in gold and bought a replacement single crank for it (the old double, bottom bracket and derailleur are now on my main commuting bike - a Falcon Team Banana). I've finally ordered a pair of fixed gear wheels this week.

Would at least like to know how old the original bike is! Guessing early 80s but not sure.

Pete.
  • I bought a 23" frame (the largest you could get I think) one of these new around 1987. Still have it. Love it. Solid bike ... just getting new wheels for it for the first time. It's otherwise all original. I have paniers etc. front and back. Good bike. I find a full size racing tourer perfect for me (1.86m in height)