Fitting Black Snake Shifter Cables

hellsteeth54
hellsteeth54 Posts: 111
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've decided to change the gear cables for the first time, and have had a good look at all the related info on here and Park Tools.

The only thing I'm a bit confused about, the Transfil Black Snake cables that I bought come with a "waterproof tube", 1700mm of it. At first I thought it was to fit inside the outer case, to provide extra protection from the elements, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Is it to cover the sections of inner that would otherwise be exposed as the inner runs down the bike, ie. the bits not inside the outer casing?

Cheers peeps.

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    It should fit inside the outer cable, try trimming the end off at an angle so it would be like an old fashioned quill used for writing- makes it easier to thread through. It (the inner sheath) runs right from the gear shifters to virtually the point where you clamp the cable to the mech/s
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Yeah thats what I first thought, but it definitely doesnt fit inside the outer compressionless casing, which already has a liner (you can see at the end, there is a tube inside the wire bundles).

Plus with only 1700mm supplied, it would just about do the rear cable and thats it! And this is a full set, with 2x inners.

Wiggle's blurb said the pack came with installation instructions, but I've emailed them and they replied saying thats a mistake on their website.

All a bit strange really, I may just fit the inner and outer and use this "waterproof tubing" as a makeshift drinking straw. :?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Cut the outer cable to length and put the waterproof housing between where the cable stops are, ie cover the exposed inner cable parts. This ia all dependant on whether you need to use a continuous outer for the rear gears (on one scandal style).