do you choose the saddle, or does the saddle choose you?

bobpzero
bobpzero Posts: 1,431
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
ive had a fizik pave & gobi xm in the past. so wondering about the aliante/arione
or a prologo nago evo? how do you find out what saddle best suits you?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's largely a matter of trying and seeing I'm afraid. To find that elusive saddle which is comfortable for YOUR BUM!

Aliante for me but everyone's different.
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    You can get measured in a Specialized or Trek dealership. They have a special arse-o-meter you sit on that measures your sit bones and tells you the correct width saddle for you.

It's a good starter for ten, I have heard of redneck shops telling people to buy a Selle Italia Flite because they fit everybody.....

It can be trial and error, but with a little guidance like the measurement it can save both wallet and arse pain.
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I have a Selle Italia Flite Gel....and its an awesome seat.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Would echo the measurement thing. I reckon getting the width right is a big step in getting something comfortable. I'm a bit on the skinny side and both my 130mm saddles are really comfortable, my old (143) not so good.
  • bobpzero
    well nearest specialized lbs said no that because its specialized saddle specific to wouldnt help for any other saddle. so how do u get to try and test saddles?
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    Bontrager do a 30 day exchange policy, if it doesn't suit you can change it.....
  • giant_man
    You can get measured in a Specialized or Trek dealership. They have a special ars*-o-meter you sit on that measures your sit bones and tells you the correct width saddle for you.

It's a good starter for ten, I have heard of redneck shops telling people to buy a Selle Italia Flite because they fit everybody.....

It can be trial and error, but with a little guidance like the measurement it can save both wallet and ars* pain.

Yeah that's fine if you want a Spesh saddle. All other saddles will be totally different ...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You can get measured in a Specialized or Trek dealership. They have a special ars*-o-meter you sit on that measures your sit bones and tells you the correct width saddle for you.

It can be trial and error, but with a little guidance like the measurement it can save both wallet and ars* pain.

Yeah that's fine if you want a Spesh saddle. All other saddles will be totally different ...

Spanielsson has got the right idea, It'll give you a rough idea on the width of your sit bones, and the rough saddle width you need.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bobpzero
    so i think it wil be a choice between arione cx carbon and aliante twinflex carbon. if i could figure out why some would consider the arione to be more like a torture device even tho some pros would still use it.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I love my Arione, it's the only saddle that I can sit on both the nose and the back comfortably - most other saddles are fine on the back, but sitting on the nose is normally agony.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man

Spanielsson has got the right idea, It'll give you a rough idea on the width of your sit bones, and the rough saddle width you need.

I can see what you're saying but I don't agree totally. Width is one thing but there are more factors to consider. Still might not be comfortable for your bum .