Campag veloce 10 spd crank removal

brookter
brookter Posts: 51
edited March 2012 in Workshop
My Tifosi CK7 is now 5 years old (only done 1400 miles, but that's my fault, not the bike's...) The cranks are Veloce 10spd and the bottom bracket is, I think, campag too, but I've no idea what exactly (and I can't find out till I get the cranks off...

Am I right in thinking I just need a bog-standard allen key to get the cranks off - size = 10mm? Or is there some sort of special campag tool made of unobtanium and costing £oodles (can't find one on Wiggle, though).

Any special incantations I need to recite / tips I need to know?

(I have searched, but posts seem to be confined mainly to ultra-torque, and whatever that is, I don't think I've got it.)

Many thanks

David

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll need a crank puller like this:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/lifeline-6655.jpg[img][/img]
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • brookter
    Thanks for the quick reply - but unfortunately that link is dead and the only Lifeline crank removal tool on Wiggle is for Shimano, which (if I've understood this right - probably haven't), uses the non-allen key type.

The Park tool website talks about certain cranks having one-key release systems, which do not require crank-pullers - and I assumed the Veloce 10spd was one of these because the allen-key is clearly not for a dust-cap. Is that wrong?

(BTW, I don't have a 10mm allen key, otherwise I'd have had a go anyway just to find out...)

thanks

David
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The allen-key screw is just the retainer bolt - use an 8mm allen key to unscrew it - you will then be confronter with a larger recessed thread in the crank and the samller internal thread of the BB spindle. The crank puller screws into the crank thread and turning the inner drive screw will pull-off the crank. Unscrew the inner before fitting and tighten the puller into the crank firmly with a spanner or you'll strip the threads. Park Tool:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Park_Tools_Cotterless_Crank_Puller/5300002313/
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • brookter
    Thanks!

I already have a crank-puller tool from the previous bike - it was the references to the one-tool removal that was confusing me - it looked like this was another new method since the last time I'd tried (and the absence of a suitably large allen key meant I couldn't just give it a go...).

Regards

David
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    I'm currently having real problems removing a powertorque crank.

I suspect the crank arm wasn't greased propery when the bike was assembled.

The guy at the LBS used his parktool extractor, but it wouldn't budge, and he claimed he eventually borke the surrounding pit of plastic on the tool that protects the crank

Having taken a look on line, I'm not convinced he used the 'power torque' plugs for the extractor.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/servic ... oid_45.jsp

Can anyone let me know if these are essesntial or not. If so, probably worth taking it back and getting him to have a go with the right tools....

Thanks

Russ