keep or dump

amircp
amircp Posts: 132
edited April 2009 in Workshop
My rear Aksium wheel went out of true, with a couple of spokes being pretty loose. I took it to an LBS and it was trued a bit but leaving loose spokes. He reported that the nipples had seized. At home I found that it was still pretty wobbly. I trued it up quite a bit more, with the looser spokes a bit tighter but a couple of spokes are well seized limiting how far I can go in terms of spoke tension. I took it out for a hilly spin and it kept the same level of trueness but it still makes an annoying clinking noise especially going up hills. Should I live with the wheel as it is (I am worried that it might fail on me out in the sticks), take it to another LBS or look for a new wheel?Timings not great for the last since prices are 50% higher than a couple of years ago.

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Is it possible to get replacement nipples and rebuild?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Ditto. If you can loosen them completely, just replace the nipples.

Easier to keep it straight if you do one spoke at a time.
  • Cheeky
    Cheeky Posts: 113
    Sounds to me you are trying to justify to yourself the purchase of some new wheels? I gave this up a long time ago and am now on a single handed crusade to keep the bike industry out of recession!

Go on, you know you want to!!!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    How old's the wheel? Even if it is out of waranty, it is reasonable to expect that it should be servicable. Find Mavic's agents and get their advice on getting the seized spokes replaced properly. A slack spoke not only decreases the longevity of the wheel but also reduces your enjoyment, due to the noise and your increased apprehension.

I'd never dump a pair of wheels if there is life left in the hubs. Even then they get given away on Freecycle
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    What I'm wondering is:
    How on Earth can a bike shop send you away with a wheel that still has loose spokes after being 'trued'.

Everyone in the industry knows that if you ride a bike with loose spokes, it will fail sooner rather than later... :roll:

If they can't be tensioned properly due to siezing, then they should replace the nipple and/or spoke. It's that simple. They're mavic aksiums, one of the most popular wheelsets around, so that bike shop of yours really should have spare spokes & nipples ready to go. :x

I mean you don't even need to take off the cassette to replace a broken spoke on the drive side... it's too easy.

So I'd definitely take them somewhere else.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Cheeky wrote:
    Sounds to me you are trying to justify to yourself the purchase of some new wheels? I gave this up a long time ago and am now on a single handed crusade to keep the bike industry out of recession!

Go on, you know you want to!!!

You and me together Cheeky!!

:lol::lol: 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • amircp
    amircp Posts: 132
    Thanks for all the advice. Seems that it should be straightforward so I've taken it in to another lbs which does wheelbuilding. Should be really cheap (£6 ish). Shame about the other lot misleading me.

And I would have like the excuse to buy new wheels but will have to wait until something more drastic! At least the prices may have come down by then.