Need some clothing!

jamief00
jamief00 Posts: 5
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,

After buying a GT Aggressor XC1 last year, I've finally got round to using it.

I do a mixture of road (rural) cycling and will shortly be starting my offroad adventures.

However, i have NO really suitable clothing. Currently I'm using a load of stuff that makes me look, as we term it locally, like a total jakeball.

I think I need

# Baselayer
# Shorts / Trousers
# Jacket
# Gloves
# Shoes

Could someone provide links to decent, but reasonably priced stuff? For now I'll be doing spring/summer riding (maybe Autumn), so don't need anything too heavy. Don't have a budget as such, but I dont want to spend a fortune if possible!

Thanks.

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    TK Maxx usually have a good selection of multisport and cycling-specific clothing as do Decathlon, Lidl/Aldi/Netto and (allegedly) Tesco.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    also look at crc or wiggles price drop sale sections always a good place to pick up a bargin..especially during season change overs.
  • papasmurf. wrote:
    also look at crc or wiggles price drop sale sections always a good place to pick up a bargin..especially during season change overs.

+1 I love pricedrop
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    mountain warehouse has some cycling stuff too, but it's their general kit that I like- their base layers are good quality and very effective. TK Maxx's sports section is always worth a trip, my local one has vans cabs and half cabs on sale for £15 just now, they're a bit airy for general riding mind ;) Also various Nike and Puma base layers and light tops. merlin has various Altura shorts at £25 just now, which could be worth a look, my normal riding shorts are altura mayhem which are in the sale there, quite nice. If you want a light warm top for in case you get caught out in colder weather, any old fleece is perfect...

The only place I really think it's worth spending a little money is a waterproof- this is britain after all ;) I just don't leave the house without a packable, breathable waterproof, mine is a Montane Featherlight but there's loads out there that'll do the job. I don't think you'll regret getting the best you can afford, unless of course you kill it! Cheap jackets can be too boil-in-the-bag, I don't want rain to stop play.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    +1 to everything said above.

And don't feel you have to buy loads of mtb/cycling specific gear. I spend most of summer in baggies - shorts and vest - that I pick up from high st, e.g. H&M or online, e.g. Joe Browns. But I wear the same off bike as well.

Take a bit more care with shoes and try some on. Depends on riding etc but I can't look past Shimano MP66 for everything I do.

DHB branded stuff on Wiggle has always proved good value for me for anything else.

Personally I've never got on with trousers on a bike. Shorts all the way then unpadded cycling tights underneath in winter.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    the dhb brand at wiggle always gets good reviews.
  • tbeat
    tbeat Posts: 119
    i was also looking to buy some new gear. i am looking at the altura baggies. altura summit shorts in particular. anyone any experience with these? these type of shorts can be used for XC trails and stuff right? :oops: they seem good value. Merlin cycles having a sale on them at the mo.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    If you have an Aldi near you, at the moment they have some good base layers that you can get for less than a tenner. They're having a special offers for walkers, but some of the clothes suit cyclists too. They also have some softshell jackets that may be of use to you.
    Don't knock the Aldi stuff, it isn't the greatest quality stuff, but it is brilliant for the price you pay!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro