How to upset a dog owner

Comments

• I'd imagine running over the owner's dog and then preparing a doggy tikka massala by the pathway might get the owner quite upset! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    two options
    1. kill said dogs
    2. buy an airzound
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    spasypaddy wrote:
    two options
    1. kill said dogs
    2. buy an airzound

nice suggestion, airzound can scare bears away.. so shouldnt have a problem with beligerant dog owners :wink:

Also has anyone noticed how fluorescent colours can cause dogs to chase / attack you ? Its happened over the years when running but also seems to freak out dogs when you are on the bike.

Last week this beligerant dog owner basically gave me the 'fook you' when i approached slowly :lol: sounding the bell, cycled slowly by and the dog gave chase ...it actually chased me for about 2 miles, the thing is propably still out there somewhere .. :roll: the owner didnt follow :D
  • AndyManc wrote:
    Report the issue to the council and your local councillor, if you want things to improve you will have to put in a bit of work.

The same goes for all of us really, if we have got issues on our commute route then try and address the problem, not only will you be helping yourself, you'll be improving the situation for the hundreds/thousands of other bikers that use that route.

It's probably worth contacting sustrans as well, the more people you get involved the quicker the resolution.

The solution on the very first reply to your post.
    The only thing troubling me about this whole thread is if these dogs are so dangerous that you can see them from 300 yards away & you expect the owners to be able to see you from the same distance why do you not seek an alternative route until this situation is resolved?

Dog wardens do have the power to seize any dog to which section 3 of the dangerous dogs act applys.

Is this just another example of my needs do not really outweigh anybody elses & I really do need to swallow a chill pill?

FWIW If you feel genuinely threatened by these dogs then the owner is unlikely to be the sort of person who responds to a bell & probably has already trained the dog to kill every moving thing it sees. :roll:
    Volition & freedom is within the remit of a democratic society.

Not everybody agrees with your point of view though.
  • doog442
    thanks for your reply

however

ive decided its all out war :wink:

You clearly have not dealt with your nutty dog walker who refuses to even acknowledge the presence of a bike......

and lets be honest we could hammer on past them at 20mph but we dont, your militant dog owner would rather put the safety of his/ her pooch on the line rather than give way..and when they do they make it clear that you are the biggest tosser in the world and you should basically get on your knees for causing them the inconveniance of having to do what 90% of dog walkers do...and that is...control their animal :evil:
  • doog442 wrote:
    You clearly have not dealt with your nutty dog walker who refuses to even acknowledge the presence of a bike......

Ever tried auditioning for Britains got talent?

Your psychic ability may even bring a smile to the lips of Simon Cowell.

No I always find that anticipating a hazard plus common courtesy means the dog walkers I meet are very reasonable people :P

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Just so you know, 300 yards at 15mph takes 49 seconds. Is this part of the NCN built on an old Roman road? Please don't accuse me of exaggerating.

Look, every cyclist on the forum is aware of the towpath phenomenon - your mistake is that you feel that you have more right to be on that bit of land than anyone not cycling.

You are wrong.

Its irritiating that people can't get out of the way in time, but you have to deal with it. Don't kid yourself that when the roles are reversed, you are a paragon of anticipation. More likely, you just haven't encountered any cyclists as rude as you are when they have to slow down for you as you are walking your dog. After all, you aren't riding your bike at that time, are you?

Perhaps you should get out in traffic a bit more. Might teach you some defference.

What are you like as a driver? Bet you do everything right there too, don't you.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i'll echo the if on sustrans/shared pathy type places i expect to stop or slow to almost nothing as i pass kids, dogs people who are chatting, what ever. if i wanted to hoon along, well i'd not be there. so i say hello to dogs/kids what ever, funnly enought never had a problem.
  • doog442
    Just so you know, 300 yards at 15mph takes 49 seconds. Is this part of the NCN built on an old Roman road? Please don't accuse me of exaggerating.

Look, every cyclist on the forum is aware of the towpath phenomenon - your mistake is that you feel that you have more right to be on that bit of land than anyone not cycling.

You are wrong.

Its irritiating that people can't get out of the way in time, but you have to deal with it. Don't kid yourself that when the roles are reversed, you are a paragon of anticipation. More likely, you just haven't encountered any cyclists as rude as you are when they have to slow down for you as you are walking your dog. After all, you aren't riding your bike at that time, are you?

Perhaps you should get out in traffic a bit more. Might teach you some defference.

What are you like as a driver? Bet you do everything right there too, don't you.

you dont get it do you (bangs head)... theres a hard core of dog walkers who hate cyclists... you have propably never encountered such a situation so why comment...other than have an argument for arguments sake

I cycle 60 miles a week on A roads so dont give me the traffiic tosh...

I cant comment on your commute so why be the expert on mine.....mine isnt a towpath,(you need to think out of your big city lifestyle) there are no canals in Dorset so if a towpath is your idea of the situation then you really have no idea

anything else you want to throw into the equation....? youve done the cat,horse bit and now the driver bit ... :D

Enlighten me on what the hell my driving ability has to do with me cycling along a trailway in the middle of Dorset encountering a minority of stroppy dog walkers
  • always_tyred
    i'll echo the if on sustrans/shared pathy type places i expect to stop or slow to almost nothing as i pass kids, dogs people who are chatting, what ever. if i wanted to hoon along, well i'd not be there. so i say hello to dogs/kids what ever, funnly enought never had a problem.
    Oooh, I don't know... surely this should happen?

moses_part_red_sea.jpg
  • roger_merriman
    Oooh, I don't know... surely this should happen?

moses_part_red_sea.jpg

apparently so...
  • doog442
    ever encountered militant dog walkers on a major cylcling commuter route between 2 towns roger.....(look up NCN 25 wimborne and poole)

we could chat / portray thanks and apologise for our presence all morning whilst surrounded by retired / unemployed dog walkers taking their dog for a crap but would never actually get to work

think of it...this is a commuting forum, this is a commuting route, there are members of the public who actively discourage cyclists making any sort of progress by nothing more than being miitant and anti cyclist

It will be taken up with the LA (Poole Borough Council who own this route) with a view to educating dog owners
  • always_tyred
    doog442 wrote:

You are wrong.

you dont get it do you (bangs head)... theres a hard core of dog walkers who hate cyclists... you have propably never encountered such a situation so why comment...other than have an argument for arguments sake

I cant comment on your commute so why be the expert on mine.....mine isnt a towpath,(you need to think out of your big city lifestyle) there are no canals in Dorset so if a towpath is your idea of the situation then you really have no idea

anything else you want to throw into the equation....? youve done the cat,horse bit and now the driver bit ... :D

Enlighten me on what the hell my driving ability has to do with me cycling along a trailway in the middle of Dorset encountering a minority of stroppy dog walkers
    What on earth makes you think that anyone on here DOESN'T know what you are talking about? Of course I get it. I cycle roughly twice as much as you. I just disagree.

I am pointing out that you come across as inappropriately indignant in relation to a routine event.

YOU don't get it. You have no idea that the dog owner in question was one of a "hard core" because you started out rude.

The only dog owners who have a problem with cyclists (by virtue of their distinction as dog owners, as opposed to their people who just don't like cyclists who happen to be walking dogs) are dog owners startled by cyclists who don't give them time to get out of the way.

Today, I was cycling in the middle of nowhere. I cycled through a hamlet and nearly got trip-wired by a barking dog on an extendable lead. Now I could have berated the owner for letting this happen. But this would have been unreasonable because she reacted a fraction of a second too late to lock the lead and did her best.
  • always_tyred
    doog442 wrote:
    we could chat / portray thanks and apologise for our presence all morning whilst surrounded by retired / unemployed dog walkers taking their dog for a crap but would never actually get to work

think of it...this is a commuting forum, this is a commuting route, there are members of the public who actively discourage cyclists making any sort of progress by nothing more than being miitant and anti cyclist

Have you considered medication? You appear to be of the belief that there is a grey army out there to try and get you. Some of them are even armed with sticks and attack poodles.
  • doog442 wrote:

You are wrong.

I detect that in the space of one post on one thread we have gone from A hardcore of dog walkers to a minority of dog walkers.

Amazing how that sort of thing can happen is it not?

• doog442
    doog442 wrote:

You are wrong.

I detect that in the space of one post on one thread we have gone from A hardcore of dog walkers to a minority of dog walkers.

Amazing how that sort of thing can happen is it not?

you will find the hardcore are actually the minority..isnt that the case in most scenarios in life :? i dont see to many hardcore majorities

unless you are desperate to make a point that is :!:
  • roger_merriman
    doog442 wrote:
    ever encountered militant dog walkers on a major cylcling commuter route between 2 towns roger.....(look up NCN 25 wimborne and poole)

It will be taken up with the LA (Poole Borough Council who own this route) with a view to educating dog owners

no they not being miltant, sustrans routes are not for fast commuting, no i don't have this problem as when commuting i don't use shared paths as i'll be wanting to be close to or over 20mph which simply is not a reasonble thing to do on a shared path so roads it is.
  • The only point I wish to make is it is a minority.

How much the above stresses you out is obviously a function of your own mental health perception.

A down trodden cyclist because a minority choose to persecute you or somebody with anger issues?

I do not have your psychic ability therefore I am not qualified to really give an answer.

I sadly have to rely on common sense to ensure my journey from A to B is completed safely & with as least aggravation as possible. :wink:

• doog442
    doog442 wrote:

You are wrong.

What on earth makes you think that anyone on here DOESN'T know what you are talking about? Of course I get it. I cycle roughly twice as much as you. I just disagree.

I am pointing out that you come across as inappropriately indignant in relation to a routine event.

YOU don't get it. You have no idea that the dog owner in question was one of a "hard core" because you started out rude.

The only dog owners who have a problem with cyclists (by virtue of their distinction as dog owners, as opposed to their people who just don't like cyclists who happen to be walking dogs) are dog owners startled by cyclists who don't give them time to get out of the way.

Today, I was cycling in the middle of nowhere. I cycled through a hamlet and nearly got trip-wired by a barking dog on an extendable lead. Now I could have berated the owner for letting this happen. But this would have been unreasonable because she reacted a fraction of a second too late to lock the lead and did her best.

you cycled through a hamlet ...if thats your experience of dog walkers i bow down to your experience (you did say a hamlet :lol: )

did you get lost, go off the beaten track..were there peasants roaming the hamlet :mrgreen:

as you cycle twice as much as me (really...!! ) ...(the chances are that I have cycled for twice as long as you) then that must enlighten you with all sorts of wisdom that I could never possess

as for medication...you cant get lower can you... you have done the big animals so now it must be the medication
  • Volition & freedom is within the remit of a democratic society.

• doog442

you may work for them but go peddle your custom elsewhere pal 8)

Im dealing with someone who can argue the toss for three pages because she' cycled through a HAMLET

Im not actually aware of any Hamlets as such in the UK other than those in the mind of people who live in big cities and read their kids little red riding hood :roll:

For my next moan I will have a go at the perils of negotiating that Hammersmith flyover thing with no hands on the handle bars, riding a fixie.. with no helmet and argue the toss as to how i nearly got killed 30 times in 10 minutes by all them nasty motorists
  • always_tyred
    edited April 2009
    doog442 wrote:
    you cycled through a hamlet ...if thats your experience of dog walkers i bow down to your experience (you did say a hamlet :lol: )

did you get lost, go off the beaten track..were there peasants roaming the hamlet :mrgreen:

as you cycle twice as much as me (really...!! ) ...(the chances are that I have cycled for twice as long as you) then that must enlighten you with all sorts of wisdom that I could never possess

as for medication...you cant get lower can you... you have done the big animals so now it must be the medication

Mmm. I'm older than you think and I commute to the centre of Edinburgh every day. Some of my route is along shared paths in the hills that are popular with horse riders and dog walkers. Guess what, sometimes I have to slow down and wait. Sometimes I say "good morning" other times I say "thanks". If I'm in a particular rush, I use the roads instead.

Truly, there is nothing about your experience which is in any way unusual.

Hamlet - I figure if its a row of houses either side of the road for about 100 yards, with not so much as a village hall, 3 miles from the nearest shop, 10 miles from the nearest small town, I figure it qualifies as a hamlet. Would you like me to restrict myself to the Daily Mail vocabulary? "Small village". There you go.

This afternoon I drove to the Borders, then cycled over the Davleen and Mennock passes, nipping up the 2nd highest bit of tarmac in the UK on the way back. About your weekly quota. This is some of the best cycling to be had in Britain, and there were few cars and no towns, just the odd hamlet. You may be amazed to know that there are parts of Britain that don't have a mobile phone signal, and where you can't get Channel 5? Did you know that? Amazing, eh? They even let sheep wander all over the road, not on leads or anything.

The point was that in the circumstances it wouldn't have been reasonable for me to expect the home and dog owner to act any differently on the offchance that someone as important as me would happen to pass on a training ride. Unsuprisingly you missed the point. The questions about other forms of transport are to attempt to assess if you are a beligerant pillock in other stituations. You are happy enough to have a go at dog owners, old people and the rural community, so I guess so.

I'm managing to cope with my conscience with regard to poking fun at you, although my efforts pale into insignificance compared to your own, I must say.

Occasionally, on this forum, I encounter an attitude that makes be cringe.
  • doog442 wrote:

Im dealing with someone who can argue the toss for three pages because she' cycled through a HAMLET

Im not actually aware of any Hamlets as such in the UK other than those in the mind of people who live in big cities and read their kids little red riding hood :roll:

For my next moan I will have a go at the perils of negotiating that Hammersmith flyover thing with no hands on the handle bars, riding a fixie.. with no helmet and argue the toss as to how i nearly got killed 30 times in 10 minutes by all them nasty motorists

Wow all your skills except you allow a couple of Chihuahuas to wind you up.

Everybody here is really impressed. How do you so captivate us?

Is it your perceived alpha male natural charisma? :lol:

• doog442
    doog442 wrote:

Mmm. I'm older than you think and I commute to the centre of Edinburgh every day. Some of my route is along shared paths in th hills that are popular with horse riders and dog walkers. Guess what, I have to slow down and wait. Sometimes I say "good morning" other times I say "thanks". If I'm in a particular rush, I use the roads instead.

Truly, there is nothing about your experience which is in any way unusual.

This afternoon I cycled over the Davleen and Mennock passes, nipping up the 2nd highest bit of tarmac in the UK on the way back. This is some of the best cycling to be had in Britain,and there were few cars and no towns. Just the odd hamlet - the point was that in the circumstances it wouldn't have been reasonable for me to expect the home and dog owner to act any differently on the offchance that someone as important as me would happen to pass on a training ride. Unsuprisingly you missed the point. the questions about other forms of transport are to attempt to assess if you are a beligerant pillock in other stituations. You are happy enough to have a go at dog owners, old people and the rural community, so I guess so.

I'm managing to cope with my conscience with regard to poking fun at you.

and me likewise...buy please dont post such picture postcard nonsense and ruin the persona for me ..my weekend ride is the jurassic coast from Swanage to Lyme or north from Wimborne to Shaftesbury through the North Dorset downs but Im not bidding for brownie points...the post is about dogs on my commute
  • doog442
    doog442 wrote:

Wow all your skills except you allow a couple of Chihuahuas to wind you up.

Everybody here is really impressed. How do you so captivate us?

Is it your perceived alpha male natural charisma? :lol:

You must feel really captivated after 2 weeks on here ... i left it for at least 3 months before calling someone a nutter :D
  • [quote="doog442"
    You must feel really captivated after 2 weeks on here ... i left it for at least 3 months before calling someone a nutter :D[/quote]

Prior experience goes a long way :wink:

• always_tyred
    doog442 wrote:
    and me likewise buy please dont post such picture postcard nonsense and ruin the persona for me ..my weekend ride is the jurassic coast from Swanage to Lyme or north from Wimborne to Shaftesbury through the North Dorset downs but Im not bidding for brownie points...the post is about dogs on my commute

It was here, actually.
    114062164_842cf4f0e6.jpg
    If you look closely, you can see a hamet, as such, in the valley. Dorset is nice and all, but its a bit cramped. You need to get out more.
  • always_tyred
    Doog, is this you?

CerneAbbas.jpg
  • doog442
    lol cerne abbas giant :D

i prefer this

06.jpg

Spreadeagle hill shaftesbury..not too cramped :wink:

top bunch of trees on the right is called coronation clump..beyond it is the highest village in Dorset....
  • always_tyred
    doog442 wrote:
    lol cerne abbas giant :D

i prefer this

06.jpg

Spreadeagle hill shaftesbury..not too cramped :wink:
    Where's the hill?