Halfords to phase out bike-only stores

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2009 in MTB general

Comments

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Bad I guess, until Tredz opened in Cardiff, Halfrauds was the only place you could get bike stuff on a Sunday if you got caught out. I guess it's the same around the rest of the country.

I'm surprised at the reasons though, a 1.2% reduction in sales in a recession would be been as good news by most retailers.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Good news if it helps a local bike shop (not chain stores) stay in business.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Kinda liked the Halfords bike hut in twickenham because it had quite a few cheap generic items like puncture repair and inners.
    Aren't there only like 8 bike huts anyway?

I've actually got friendly with my LBS now. They are very good, great advice etc, something you'd never get from the bleach blonde emo/chav weirdo in BikeHut.
  • P-Jay wrote:
    Bad I guess, until Tredz opened in Cardiff, Halfrauds was the only place you could get bike stuff on a Sunday if you got caught out. I guess it's the same around the rest of the country.

I'm surprised at the reasons though, a 1.2% reduction in sales in a recession would be been as good news by most retailers.

The tredz in cardiff was just as bad as a halfords :lol:
    Didn't know what a tension seeker was, couldn't recommend a chain... plus it was very pricey!

Felt sorry for the old man who was being swayed towards buying a new wheel for his bike... his bike was probably only worth a few quid, and the guy was trying to get him to pay for a £90 Replacement!
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Hmm. I'm sure they announced record profits last year which seemed very strange considering every branch of Halfords I've ever been in is always deserted no matter what time of day.
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    Where will the Boardman bikes be sold? They seem pretty good value.
  • swagman wrote:
    Where will the Boardman bikes be sold? They seem pretty good value.
    They are only closing the bike only stores, not the 'normal' stores. So you will still be able to go into your local normal Halfords, the ones that sell car stuff aswell, and buy your Carrera's, Boardman's or spare parts if thats what floats your boat.
    2009 - Giant Trance X3

2011 - Focus Black Forest XT
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

The tredz in cardiff was just as bad as a halfords :lol:
    Didn't know what a tension seeker was, couldn't recommend a chain... plus it was very pricey!

Felt sorry for the old man who was being swayed towards buying a new wheel for his bike... his bike was probably only worth a few quid, and the guy was trying to get him to pay for a £90 Replacement!

I know what you mean, when I first went it in it was full of useless kids who didn't seem to have a clue about anything, and they only seemed to sell kit for your occational rider. Lots of little hardtails and 1.9 tyres etc.

They've really turned it around for me though. The staff they've got there seem well clued up now, and interestinly one of them has got a really trick looking false/artifical leg (whatever the term is) it's all carbon fibre and funky linkages, reminds me of a X0 derailer oddly.

Getting me Lipirries (sp?) in now too, which is a major danger to my bank balance.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looking at the link Coley posted, they seem to contradict themselves. They are on record volume sales, sell 1 in 3 bikes in the UK and this:

"We are delighted with the strength of our bike sales in these tough times on the high street. The tax benefits of the Cycle2Work scheme mean customers are able to buy higher specification bikes and we have been particularly pleased with sales of our award-winning Boardman bike range, designed in partnership with Olympic champion Chris Boardman.

“It was a great achievement when one of Halfords’ Boardman bikes was ridden to Olympic victory by Nicole Cooke in Beijing last year and sales of the Boardman range are now exceeding established premium brands."

Bizarre.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Looks like they aren't making enough money from the bikehuts (which I didn't know existed as stand alones). Probably some accountant somewhere thinking the margins on bikes sold on their own aren't as great bikes sold in the bigger stores. Next thing we'll see is them stopping selling the better bikes because the margin / volumes aren't there and pretty soon after that they'll be back to a joke bike retailer competing with the catalogues :roll: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I've actually got friendly with my LBS now. They are very good, great advice etc, something you'd never get from the bleach blonde emo/chav weirdo in BikeHut.

Haha, you obviously have the copies of the folks who work in EVERY Halfords I've ever walked into then...

I went in with my lass only a few days ago, to get a cheapy road bike (she's finally getting into this cycling (albeit on road) business) and the guy who 'served' us didn't have even a semi-idea what the hell he was on about. Grr. Luckily I'm quite good, so we got the right size, and didn't get ripped off 8)

And swagman, the Boardman range of bikes are very good value imo. The top-of-the-range carbon road bike for 1000 quid, all carbon, and some SRAM gears (alrite if you get on with them I guess). Kinda like the Planet-X stuff, much under-rated!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The bleached blond emo in my local halfords is the best one! And he really knows his stuff, he's as passionate and informed about bikes as he is about being a miserable ****.

I think maybe what we have here... Is that the small bikehuts had all the disadvantages of the big Halfords branches, ie brand snobbery and being part of a big clumsy chain, but without the advantages of being monster-shops in the middle of nowhere. Or, if you prefer, had many of the disadvantages of an independant without being able to really reap the benefits. Big companies don't do small shops well, in general.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    They're closing the bikehuts yes, but they are opening the cycle republic stores.

http://cycles.actsmart.biz/news/halford ... -store.php

It's all about changing their brand identity at the moment.