Recommend me a trail centre please.

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited April 2009 in MTB general
Not Scotland as i live in the South.

Something a bit more different than Swinley as that's local so we can go there anytime.

Want nice downhills with twisties. Some wooden sections, etc etc.

Where shall we go lads ?

One of the lads recommends Sherwood Pines... any good ?

Comments

• valheru
    valheru Posts: 87
    I was at Dalby forest at the w/e and i cannot rcommend it enough, the red route is virtually 24 miles of single track with a great mixture of down hills, drops, NS, etc etc.

I live near Swinley Forest, trust me Dalby is in a different league!
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    Would you venture to Wales? There is loads of excellent centres there.....
  • peachos
    peachos Posts: 47
    +1 for wales.
    I'm from Manchester and we usually drive to the TC's in North Wales. Coed-y-Brenin is the obvious one, you could spend a couple of days here. The Climachx is also ace - probably the best TC descent in Wales!! They're pretty close to each other so you could do 2/3 days riding and stay somewhere central.
    Norco Six-One

Manchester Mountain Bikers (search on www.meetup.com)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    South Wales

I've just spent the last three days at Afan & Cwmcarn. White's level at Afan should give you everything you're after. Plus there are two other short routes (17km) Penhydd and The Wall plus a monster 30 mile route, Skyline, which has 6 km of twisty, rocky descent at the end (although if you make it that far around you will be knackered).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • weeksy59

Yup more than happy to head to Wales.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    stumpyjon wrote:
    South Wales

I've just spent the last three days at Afan & Cwmcarn. White's level at Afan should give you everything you're after. Plus there are two other short routes (17km) Penhydd and The Wall plus a monster 30 mile route, Skyline, which has 6 km of twisty, rocky descent at the end (although if you make it that far around you will be knackered).

What he said. You can even do the Whites climb, down the black and back up, along a little bit of fire road and do the final skyline descent if you're after a rush.
  • gsxrian
    gsxrian Posts: 97
    weeksy59 wrote:

Yup more than happy to head to Wales.

we could stay with your inlaw!!! 8)
    stumpjumper FSR comp 2008
    trek 1.5 2010
    Orbea Alma H70
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    stumpyjon wrote:
    South Wales

Seconded, although there is a shortcut on Skyline at waymarker 18, just past the Granada in the woods. You can go left uphill or right, downhill. Go right. Taking this cuts the trail from 46km to ~26km, and you're fresh for the monster descent :)

Glyncorrwg is the better-equipped of the centres in the Afan valley, it has a massive bike shop and the cafe is excellent, and you can camp there. I think you can also camp at Afan, but the food isn't as good. The trailheads are only a couple of miles from each other though so it doesn't really matter where you're based.

Cwmcarn has to be one of the best trails anywhere, it's just a pity it isn't longer. Fitter riders could do it twice in a day, and take in the play park at the top. The "xc" descent is more like a mini DH track, you'll see lenty of people on big rigs hooning it. There's also the DH track and an uplift service (www.cwmdown.co.uk) - they'll drop you anywhere you like so if you planned it you could have a proper blast.
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    If you are planning to travel a fair distance to a trail centre I would suggest going to somewhere more worth while than sherwood pines like Wales as sugested. Don't get me wrong, sherwood is great (it is my local) but I think it would be better to combine into a trip such as if you went to dalby - the new kitchener trail at sherwood will only take you an hour to hour and a half to go round, although there is lots of hiden singletrack to explore :)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    cant recomend whites level at glyncorrwg enough, all the trails round here are awsome. if your in the area check out Brechfa too
    I like bikes and stuff
  • weeksy59
    Thanks for all the posts up to now lads.

Are the places mentioned the sort of routes we can turn up at and 'find' or are we needing local knowledge ?

Swinley for example, i accept you can't 'find' all the routes quickly and easily, but you can get the rough idea and have a top day out.

Ideally something with a start point, a few sign posts etc would be nice :)

It does seem like Wales is the option though. We might make a weekend of it and stay at my folks in Liverpool.
  • Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    Afan is fully marked up with each section of the trail named and loads of marker posts, you can't go wrong.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Have you thought of heading down to Surrey? Peaslake/Holbury is pretty good for some single track action. :D
  • weeksy59
    Have you thought of heading down to Surrey? Peaslake/Holbury is pretty good for some single track action. :D

First i've heard of it... will jump on Google.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wharncliffe. Ok it is not a trail centre, no little cafes, bike shops and lots of strangely named features, but what it does have is a big variety off natural riding to suit all skills. Peaty rates it as some of the best trails in the world.
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    Wharncliffe is rated by Steve Peat as some of the best trails in the world cos they're fucking hard. Also extremely slippery at the moment.

I'm not going to tell you my favourite because I really rate it and I don't think many people have caught on yet.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You just need to find the easy ones, and the dry ones! I was on the crags and north forest on Monday, dry as a bone and nice easy trails.

Wharny isn't all about rocks and mud, dh and FR - there is even a green marked way lol.
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Wharncliffe. Ok it is not a trail centre, no little cafes, bike shops and lots of strangely named features, but what it does have is a big variety off natural riding to suit all skills. Peaty rates it as some of the best trails in the world.

I've not been but is there really enough there to warrant a trip up from down south? That's not the impression I got.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Had my first Welsh adventure in Afan a few weeks ago, we did Penhydd then The Wall in one day. I don't know what sort of level you're at with your riding weeksy, but that was an ideal introduction to trail centres I reckon. They both have a lot of climbing to deal with (often on fireroad), but the decents are awesome fun - long, fast, winding, quite technical in places but nothing ridiculously difficult. I especially loved Hidden Valley on Penhydd and Zig Zags at the end of the Wall, put a huge grin on my face!

I can honestly say the next time I went riding locally I felt like my technique on the downhill sections had improved noticeably - I was smoother, faster and braver and I felt a lot fitter too.

Carry plenty of fuel with you and the little pack of tyre boots in my bag came in pretty useful (not for me fortunately). It does also eat disc pads in a way my local trails never could, so check yours have plenty of life in them or carry spares.
  • weeksy59
    Looks like Afan is indeed the plan lads.

Just been watching some vids on Youtube and it looks great :)

My level... i dunno either mate... i'll let you know after Gorrick on Sunday ;)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Big old trek over from Berks mate, well worth it though! It's beautiful up there too, had to force myself to get my head up occassionally and take it all in :D
  • weeksy59
    Big old trek over from Berks mate, well worth it though! It's beautiful up there too, had to force myself to get my head up occassionally and take it all in :D

We used to go down that way regulalry to Pembrey, near Llanelli when racing motorbikes, my wifes parents live in St Davids, where we regularly visit too, so driving to there is no major concern for me :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There is a test track next to red road near camberly here is a link
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/DE ... 2008-WDMBC
  • weeksy59
    JA5ON wrote:
    There is a test track next to red road near camberly here is a link
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/DE ... 2008-WDMBC

Nice one mate... less than 15 mins from work :)