Why do CUBE not exist in Magazine world ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Bit confused, but you rarely see CUBE's in test, rarely see them in mags and apart from owners on here, you rarely see any posts on them.

They don't seem to be on the "oh, get one of...."

Why is this ?

Comments

• hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    I also wonderd this - not sure if they are a bit of an unknown entity? did get very excited though when I saw someone riding a cube HT in this months MBR! I know im sad - its like a little secret club being at cube owner at the moment! :) Great bike mine though!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MBUK's Doddy has got one as a long termer. I'll send him this thread link...
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    You're reading the worng magazines.
    My magazines here are full of them!
    I guess it's one of those brands that hasn't yet made waves in the UK yet - great value for money though...
    Not really active
  • hoochylala
    Was about to ask what magazines you read then saw your location! :) Yeah German company, but mine came shipped from Holland? Is that where they are manufactured? Get good reviews over there Ferret?
  • Doddy
    Doddy Posts: 2,100
    I indeed have one on the go, and will be updating you on it's performance soon.
    It looks great on paper and has good geometry, just depends on how it rides...
  • weeksy59
    Doddy wrote:
    I indeed have one on the go, and will be updating you on it's performance soon.
    It looks great on paper and has good geometry, just depends on how it rides...

What do you have fella ?

I'm in the UK, and to be fair i don't read all the mags regularly, but even adverts in them etc when browsing in WH Smiths, i never see CUBE.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Im sure there is a sub £500 cube in this months MBUK, and ive seen them in MBR in the past but only a passing review nothing in great detail
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    The Cube Attention gets mentioned in the sub £500 category of WMB every month. Apart from that, you dont see them
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    There's a Cube in this months WMB. Did quite well, 8/10 I think. Got a bit of stick for it's paint job and bar ends but overall the reviewers seemed to like it.

The lower end ones also seem to suffer from having great finishing kit but poor forks so maybe that's why they don't get reviewed?

We also don't know if Cube themselves are providing bikes for the magazines to look at. A shop near me had a demo day the other week and they couldn't provide any Cubes as the bikes were elsewhere so maybe demo bikes are in short supply.

I thought you were glad to see the back of yours weeksy, as your new spesh was better?
  • weeksy59
    Eranu wrote:

I thought you were glad to see the back of yours weeksy, as your new spesh was better?

I wouldn't go that far mate, i'm £900 down as the bike was stolen... so i'm far from 'glad'

LOL.

But yes i do prefer the Spec.
  • Eranu
    Yeah having re-read that it did sound harsh :) You know what I meant though!
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    doddy is riding a cube fritzz, a lovely bike.

i have to say though, CUBE's best value bike is their Reaction 2009. a pushfit BB (like a headset almost) and a wider downtube connecting to the bb help make this bike soo stiff.

where else will you find k18 brakes, fox F100RL forks, XT and syntace duraflite kit, and a sweet handling bike (24lbs aswell (and thats for the heaviest model)) for only £1400? it blows all competition out of the water. if you are in scotland and want to try a cube at a demo day, there is one at laggan wolftrax on the 26th april.
  • hoochylala
    Is that £1400 accounting for the recent CUBE price rise? CUBE managed to avoid it untill now - dropped mine in for free 6 week service and LBS said I had bout it at the right time - my LTD Race 09 has gone up from £900 to £1100! Eek
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    I love my Cube, the best bike I have had. Very comfortable, aggressive, great on climbs, a really good allrounder. I love the RP23 Propedal option, the remote lockout and U_turn front forks.

Matt black is a very cool colour too. It's a very unique bike even for Switzerland which isn't far from southern Germany where they are made (I think). I bought my bike from velovirus.ch which only sell cubes, I have still to spot another bike though and I go out every 3rd day and see about 20 mountain bikers every run (Cannondale, Trek, Focus and Specialized being the most popular) The Swiss and especially the German mags here are full of them and the mid range and upward bikes get very good ratings indeed. I have the AMS125 K18.

I guess 50% of the reason for buying it was the fact that they are rare and the colour scheme, the other 50% due to the spec and the test ride. The bike just felt great after 10 seconds, something I couldn't say for the Trek Fuels and the GT's I tried.

IMGP0134Medium.jpg
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    I was extremely tempted by a cube but decided to custom build my kinesis instead as it was an oppotunity to do exactly what i wanted. I think the colouring and paint jobs are mint on their bikes
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think WMB has tested a couple over the last year or so. I guess they aren't too popular due to the 'old school euro xc race' styling and geometry (hardtails) - steepish, with short top tubes. I also think the frames are quite heavy for such an XC derived ride: the LTD is 1850g for a small, a mid range Decathlon rockrider fares much better at 1650g for the large. Though the reaction is much better - although for 1400 quid, the top rockrider is better specced and lighter:

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/rockrider-8-xc-69012121/

Proof is in the pudding, but the Cube hardtails I personally wouldn't shortlist. But that's me, they are good value!
  • Eranu
    That Rockrider looks pretty grim though, even compared to the Cube Teamline paint job :) Nice spec though and a nice touch giving 2nd set of rims for road training.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, true that the Decathlons don't have the fanciest of paint jobs ;-)

More money for the spec though hehe. Amazing to see Crossmax SLRs ona bike of that price. AT one point they were selling last years model for 1000!
  • Enwezor
    Enwezor Posts: 124
    Eranu
    Hey Eranu, does the Cube Reaction K18 have a QR15 Fox F100RL fork?

Cheers
  • Eranu
    Mines a 2008 with a Reba, sorry.
  • _Ferret_
    Sorry, late reply.

Cubes get good reviews over here, generally you get a lot of bike for your money.They are always at the head of the pack when it comes to 120mm or 140mm fullys.
    I was looking at a cube stereo a year ago, nice bike but the back end flexes too much for my riding style (I consider it bad flex, others might say good flex). I decided on the Lappierre because of how solid the back end is.
    My mate also bought the AMS and liked it but sent it back because the cable guide on the frame bashed against the rear triangle - I think that has been sorted now.

Still - nice bikes, personally I would look at a RADON or CANYON. you can't test ride them but they are incredible value for money. (well, in Euros at least :lol: )
    Not really active
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I've just got a CUBE AMS 125 XT. I'm a roadie and this is my first MTB with any suspension at all!! I've been getting by with a 1994 Gary Fisher but I have to say I wish I'd got suspension earlier!!

I did a great single trail route last weekend and once I got used to the fact that the bike was far more capable than I was I had so much fun.

Being a newbie on a MTB I can't really comment on whether it's better/worse than any other bike. All I can say is that the build quality is excellent
  • Eranu
    Weeksy, it seems WMB have been listening to you. This months mag just dropped through my door and the CUBE LTD Race is reviewed. It got 9/10 the verdict was:
    Scary Fast and scary light, one for the extroverts and we're not just talking about the paint job
  • weeksy59
    Eranu wrote:
    Weeksy, it seems WMB have been listening to you. This months mag just dropped through my door and the CUBE LTD Race is reviewed. It got 9/10 the verdict was:
    Scary Fast and scary light, one for the extroverts and we're not just talking about the paint job

Perfect :(

Almost identical to the Cub Ltd Team i had stolen LOL.

I'll let the guy know who was interested. :)

Cheers mate
  • Eranu
    If its any consolation it got beaten by the Boardman Pro :)

If off out now on my Cube, 35 miles! I'm so gonna die :)
  • Enwezor
    Picked up a Cube Reaction K18 on the weekend.
    Haven't ridden it offroad yet, just on-road but so far I'm pretty impressed with the build quality and the components are top-notch.
    One of the reasons why Cube may have been to keep the price low is that they use some older components, the Fox F100 RL fork is the 2008 model while my Spark has the 2009 Fox F120 RL.
    By all accounts is a bloody good fork and you could say that it is good business sense by Cube to get some older cheaper forks.

Small points:
    1. Don't like the bull bars so took them off especially as it moves everything on the handlbar even more to the centre of an already narrow bar.
    2. Don't like flat handlebar. Personal taste but I much prefer a small riser bar.
    3. Do like - everything else! :D
  • hoochylala
    Eranu wrote:

Well thats a result then :) Shame im slow! Really though, the bike does just take off when you put the power down - is this the same with your reaction?
  • Enwezor
    Power delivery and acceleration are really good. The 2009 XT Crank set is superb and really puts the power down well.
    I can tell that it is easily faster than my old custom Rockhopper, however, I need to ride it off-road as I have only ridden it on-road so far but so far so good! :)
  • does anyone know why have their prices gone up?
    I assumed it was due to the exchange rates
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • _Ferret_
    Prices here in Germany are similar to last year. Slight increase but that is due to compnent changes.
    Seems like the exchange rate is the problem there...
    Then again - if you're in france order it from there...
    Not really active