Keep getting weird unexplainable flat tyres...?

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited April 2009 in Workshop
I keep on having to pump my tyres up every 15 or so miles when out riding.

If I pump them up to 110psi before going to bed, they're at 2psi when I wake up. If I take the inner tubes out and pump them up a little, they do not go down overnight.

No holes in the innertubes. I even put new innertubes in, just in case.

Cleaned out the tyres and hoovered them to get all possible dust out. Sanded the insides too, just to get them as smooth as possible.

Rim tape on the wheels is super smooth.

Valves are completely screwed shut.

What's going on? :shock:

It's happening on both tyres - front and back!

Comments

• yoadius
    yoadius Posts: 541
    Sounds like the valves, when you pump the innertubes when they are not in the tyres, they are hardly at any pressure compared to when they are installed in your tyres at 110psi. So hardly a fair comparison.

Try pumping the tubes up on their own a bit (don't pop them) then put them in a bucket of water, air bubbles will come streaming out from the leak.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tartanyak</i>

Dude, did you trace that, from a distance off a diagram drawn by a blind man using his feet from the description given to him by someone that could only use English quotes from the movie of \'Grease\'?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
  • Bhima
    But it happened with new innertubes (hence, new valves)...?

Tried it. No leakages.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Bhima wrote:

What's going on? :shock:

It's happening on both tyres - front and back!

maybe someone is winding you up..?
  • Bhima
    Nobody else in my house for the last week and I've been out riding by myself.

When I posted this thread only a few hours ago, I pumped them both up.

Now: Front at 0psi. Completely deflated. Back: 15psi. You could probably just about ride on it for half a mile on smooth road.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    maybe your garage is a super low pressure zone...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    wierd. if you have the same problem with both the old and new tubes - and if both sets of tubes stay inflated when off the bike - then it can only be one other thing...

the house must be haunted... ;)
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Hmm, I guess you probably batch-buy tubes. Regardless if you have others, buy some more (helping with the credit-crunch too :lol: ), as it could be that the particular set of inner tubes all have crappy valves, or a bad seal between the rubber valve base and the rubber tube.

Honestly, try other NEW (shopped-for new) tubes, and I think you'll be fine.

IF, however, they do STILL go down, you'll have to get an exorcist (or a psychiatrist (multiple personalities :twisted: 8) ))

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Bhima
    I buy only 3/4 tubes at a time, because I tend to repair them to death before throwing them out...

Of the 4 innertubes i've tried, they are of three different brands!

Update
    I just pumped up the back wheel and heard a hissing sound - I put my ear to the tyre and spun it until I found where the hiss was coming from - it was a small hole from a previous puncture.

Here's where it gets weird - I took the innertube out to repair it but there was no hole in the inner tube :shock:. I put it back on the wheel, pumped it up and now it's fine! No hiss, no slow deflation! :?

:?: x1000
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Hmmmm. Ok, so get your bike exorcised, and see how that goes :lol:

:wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    ask your lbs? failing that i would say it could be:

a thorn / sharp bit in an inner tube
    a spoke puncturing the tubes,
    valve
    sharp bit of rim

failing that, try new wheels? or borrow a friends to see if it is the tubes....
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Bhima wrote:
    I buy only 3/4 tubes at a time, because I tend to repair them to death before throwing them out...

Of the 4 innertubes i've tried, they are of three different brands!

Update
    I just pumped up the back wheel and heard a hissing sound - I put my ear to the tyre and spun it until I found where the hiss was coming from - it was a small hole from a previous puncture.

Here's where it gets weird - I took the innertube out to repair it but there was no hole in the inner tube :shock:. I put it back on the wheel, pumped it up and now it's fine! No hiss, no slow deflation! :?

:?: x1000

This isn't the first time i have heard about this.

Unfortunately i do not know of any answer's however i can remember a fella who filled the innertubes with slime which solved the problem.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bhima - it could only happen to you. Or possibly Willhub as well....
  • Bhima
    cullen_bay wrote:
    ask your lbs? failing that i would say it could be:

a thorn / sharp bit in an inner tube
    a spoke puncturing the tubes,
    valve
    sharp bit of rim

failing that, try new wheels? or borrow a friends to see if it is the tubes....

It's definately nothing on your list.

Local bike shop says I should just live with it and continue to pump them up. They also suggested I buy sixty quid's worth of new tyres from them but the tyres are fine.

Wheels are new and only have about 300 miles on the clock.
  • Bhima
    Vivid wrote:
    i can remember a fella who filled the innertubes with slime which solved the problem.

Don't want to go down that route to be honest... I used to have slime in my tyres on my other bike and it made the bike feel like a lifeless tank.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    I think I have your ghost too. My tyres lost pressure last night and again this afternoon after my ride. A very slow leak, but enough to be noticeable. I took the tube out and checked it very carefully in a bucket of water - couldn't find any leaking air bubbles anywhere. I'd repaired it four times and checked the patches very carefully - no sign of a leak. Clearly it was coming out somewhere, though, so I've binned it and started again. I'm not going to be amused if I go out tomorrow morning and find it flat again.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago, during a ride I noticed my rear tyre had lost some air, but couldn't see a hole in the tyre so pumped it again but in the morning it had gone down from 125psi to 65psi. So I change the tube and everything fine but I checked the suspected tube over and over again (I even submerged it in water!!!) and nothing no holes no hissing - NADA - nothing - oh well :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cougie wrote:
    Bhima - it could only happen to you. Or possibly Willhub as well....

Well actually it aint happening to me.

But I've not had one puncture since feb when I got these tyres, the inner tubes are even ones I repaired, havent needed to pump em up at all for ages.