New tyres needed ... But decisions

wrighty43
wrighty43 Posts: 44
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
My tyres are getting rather worn and i need a new set... i currently use kenda Nevegals which i have found to be good, but i was wondering if anyone recommends anything around the same price that is better.

I ride most stuff as i mainly go round the peaks and yorkshire dales, and some lake district riding. I found my tyres ace for the mud, but i have been sliding around alot on dry rocks etc. not sure if thats just as they are getting really worn or if they arent best suited to that sort of riding.... anyway any advice would be good.

Comments

• Not sure if mine are 'nevegals' but were standard kenda on a gt avalanche but I found them incredibly sticky and hard going...sounded like a swarm of bees when riding on tarmac.Just changed them for Conti Mountain King Protection which seem much faster and comfy.2 for 60quid at Merlin.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    For Peak riding I like my High Rollers, 60a rear and 40A front. Slow rolling tho' so will be going to Maxxis Minions soon, same compound setup as well. Plenty of grip in rocky Peak district trails.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • I think the Nevegals are great, I have a set of Tomac signature series on my Remedy. If I was going to change them, I'd go for some 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers. I think the Nevegals and the High Rollers are just about the best compromise for almost all UK riding conditions.
    There is a time to surf and a time to wax your board.....

'09 Trek Remedy 8
  • ratty2k wrote:
    For Peak riding I like my High Rollers, 60a rear and 40A front. Slow rolling tho' so will be going to Maxxis Minions soon, same compound setup as well. Plenty of grip in rocky Peak district trails.

+1 for the Minions I have been mildly surprised at just how versatile they have been, I took the plunge after reading the WMB tyre test last year and I was sceptical at first but I got a deal on a set and now I dont really feel the need to change them no matter what the conditions. (within reason) They seem to be a pretty damn good all rounder.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've got high hollers 60a front and back. I find them great in the dry and good in the wet but in the damp the local soil goes quite sticky and I find they clog up quicky. In the wet the soil seems to become more runnier and clears the treads ok.

Can any one recommend a tyre to try out as the recent on and off rain seems to keep the soil constantly sticky? Or is the high roller already a good compromise?