Tabletops - technique

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited April 2009 in MTB general
I went to Dalby on Saturday and did the red/black loop.
I stopped off in Dixon's Hollow and had a mess about on the three tabletop jumps. I've never been one for getting massive air, as it scares the crap out of me. However, I hit the tabletops and seemed to go into orbit before landing well down the down slope on the first and second before anchoring on and still clearing the third. I absolutely papped myself but thought I'd better have another go. This time I tried to flatten the first one a little and ended up clearing the second one and actually landing on the up slope of the third. I then went up the third off the bike and landed on the down slope, bending my mech hanger and skinning my forearm! :cry:
Now, on both attempts I had absolutely no intention of clearing any of the tabletops, and watching clips on youtube of other people trying these jumps, it doesn't seem that easy to clear all 3.

So my question is what the hell did I do right/wrong depending on how you look at it??

(I had put some more pressure in my shocks the other day and feel that they are now maybe a bit too hard, but surely this won't have had so much effect would it?)

Comments

• cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    perhaps the track has improved/is rolling a lot better than normal due to hot weather. maybe the people in the videos are just shi*t. perhaps.... your a genius!
  • Gee thanks for massaging my ego, but that's not what I was after.
    I genuinely don't know what I was doing and I'm trying to understand it. Having read some comments on Youtube, it seems I may have been going a bit faster than I needed to, which would explain things!
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Have you tried the jumps in Lee Quarry? went there last week and had lots of fun. Managed to get myself to jump the double, but did not dare the tabletops yet. I would imagine speed is the key ;) Will aim to do all 2 or 3 jumps next time :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    overjumped it?......too fast in, or too much emphasis on forward leaning....pulling back a little more might give you a better arc, so you travel a greater distance in the air.

e.g. like a rainbow, rather than a flatter arc.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Cheers Cee, I'll try that when my elbow has grown some new skin to scrub off again!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    just don't haul the mutha right back.....or you will get a skint back!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    I go to Dalby quite a lot and you are by no means the first to fall off. Most people are on the brakes on the first tabletop as they no if they clear it they carry way too much speed into the last two and run out of skill. I've seen dirt jumpers clear them all smoothly and thrown in tweeks, whips and all sorts, but those guys do nothing else and just practice jumping all the time. (Atleast that's what I tell myself!!)
  • I think I'll try less speed and more technique. The problem was over shooting the landing ramp. Strange really, because I never try to do doubles for exactly the opposite reason! (not clearing the gap)
  • pete higham
    pete higham Posts: 134
    it is much better to over jump than under! what you need to do is practice! once you have done it go and do it till you are comfortable with it, try it on as many sets as you can because after a while you will be able to judge any jump for speed.

the first set of jumps at lee quarry are great to practice on due to where they are situated on the trail (you can see people coming on the trail long before they get to you) i do love clearing the little double but im to knackered to bring speed into the first 2 tables due to the hill just before that little section!
  • I was a Lee Quarry yesterday and I managed to clear the first set of doubles. I couldn't do it last time and I just nailed them by accident/fluke. It was like the light bulb been turned on :lol: . I can do them all at the Quarry now.
    I was playing on the last section today and they are great fun. You just need a bit of practice and it will just click after a bit of time.
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Hey number 1 I was there on Monday too! 2 blokes, 1 Orange and 1 Marin, small world.

The tables at Lee Quarry are good, but they are big. I think Pete Higham is right here, you've just to practice, we go once a week at the moment, for me thats not enough practice time or experience of jumping, its a big thing and theres lots could go wrong.

IIRC the tables and jumps at Dalby are really quite big, nailing the ones at Lee Quarry, which I think you are close to? would be a good idea.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    lol you should try it on a pair of roller blades. there's no bailng!!

but basically just practise. start by rolling over them, going faster each time. after that concentrate on jumping (start small then slowly try to increase your distance)
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • Cheers for all the advise. I've never really had a problem with tabletops before, after a few tries I managed to clear the long one at Llandegla, but these ones at Dalby really caught me out and I over shot them. Looking back, I think I was too fast and maybe pre-loaded my forks a bit on the up slopes! I'll get up to Lee Quarry and have a play.
  • Hey number 1 I was there on Monday too! 2 blokes, 1 Orange and 1 Marin, small world.

The tables at Lee Quarry are good, but they are big. I think Pete Higham is right here, you've just to practice, we go once a week at the moment, for me thats not enough practice time or experience of jumping, its a big thing and theres lots could go wrong.

IIRC the tables and jumps at Dalby are really quite big, nailing the ones at Lee Quarry, which I think you are close to? would be a good idea.

I saw you were going in the Quarry thread. I looked to see if your car was there when I got there but that was about 2 ish and I think you'd gone by then. Let me know next time your going and I will tag along if it's not to early :wink: . Your from Huddersfield way aren't you?

Sorry to go slightly off topic :oops:
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Yeah we were away by 2 - Like to get the biking done early on, then free the rest of the day for other stuff.

Hudds way yes - We might well meet up next time we are off.
  • brownix
    brownix Posts: 115
    is it just me or are the landings on the table tops really steep??