WHY??

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
I was out for a fairly big ride yesterday taking in some nice hills and enjoying the cracking weather. Anyway another cyclist with a brand new bike come's flying past me really putting in an effort to get past(and I was averaging 17mph) and he even shouts see you later.

Two miles on when the road went upwards |I come round the corner and he is really struggling and grinding away in his BIG ring I came up beside him and try to give him some advice as he is clearly not local and try to tell him that this road is fairly hilly to be constantly grinding in his big gears but he is not for listening and I leave him struggling way.

A few miles on and the road has flattened out again and he comes flying past and clearly not happy that he has been overtaken by me earlier and he going at 110% with his tongue hanging out.

I meet him on the next hill a few miles on and he gone and completly blown, side of the road job with snot and saliva all over his purple face. I pass and ask him if he is okay and he cannot even talk. He is now stuck in the middle of nowhere completly spent and virtually unable to even ride a bike.

What prompts people to even act like this if they cannot back up their arrogance with a half decent effort. Anybody else had any similar run ins with obvious newbies that think they know it all?
Brian B.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've not had run-ins but I have been that newbie :)
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Inexperience and personality disorder by the sound of things .

:lol:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Teddzzy
    Teddzzy Posts: 13
    Some people just have to "be the best" at everything... I am sure he will learn with time!!

I doubt he is walking today!! :lol:
  • If people scalp me in such a manner, I usually let the pass by, increase my speed and sit behind them by about 100m. It is amusing to see them continually glance around and then increase their own tempo. When they blow-up, I will pass them by and give a knowing glance.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    yeh sorry, must stop doing that :wink:
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Brian B wrote:
    I meet him on the next hill a few miles on and he gone and completly blown, side of the road job with snot and saliva all over his purple face. I pass and ask him if he is okay and he cannot even talk. He is now stuck in the middle of nowhere completly spent and virtually unable to even ride a bike.

Seeing that and knowing he wasn't going to catch me again, I think I'd have been tempted to point as I rode past and, in my best Nelson from The Simpsons voice, shout "Ha, Ha".

The guy just sounds like an out and out knob. On the other hand, maybe when he passed you the first time and said 'see you later' he was telling the truth and not being a bit of a throbber?
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    Either he's a knob as you all say or he is just enthusiastic and trying to improve.

THE NERVE!

Takes all sorts...
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    About a month ago, I was about half a mile from home at then end of a 105miler, when I caught-up a guy on a MTB, knobbly tyres, jeans, going quite a lot slower than me.

I passed and said 'how-do', then was amused when he came tearing back past me about 100yds further up the road.

As I'd said, I'd done 105 miles and was nearly home so I really wasn't minded to race anyone, not that I'd bother racing someone on a MTB with knobbly tyres and wearing jeans at the best of times, so I just grinned to myself and carried-on at my own pace.

But after a couple of hunderd yards he slows down again and I catch him again, pass him and grin wryly across at him.

Sure enough, I've barely pulled back in in front of him before he comes tearing past me again, panting this time, only to get 50yds in front and slow down again.

Fortunately I got to the end of my road and turned-off before I caught him a second time.

I hope he enjoyed 'beating' me ! :lol:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,246
    Brian B wrote:
    I pass and ask him if he is okay and he cannot even talk. He is now stuck in the middle of nowhere completly spent and virtually unable to even ride a bike.

What did you do then, knowing that he was in trouble?
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    This wasn't a hill near Balerno was it?
  • Brian B
    LittleB0b wrote:
    This wasn't a hill near Balerno was it?

No - near KIllin
    Brian B.
  • Brian B
    Brian B wrote:
    I pass and ask him if he is okay and he cannot even talk. He is now stuck in the middle of nowhere completly spent and virtually unable to even ride a bike.

What did you do then, knowing that he was in trouble?

Nowt he is grown man after all and I dont know him :lol: . Seriously though I asked if he was okay and he said he had done enough and was heading home but i gave him some advice on a easier road to get home.
    Brian B.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I usually back off if i know that i cannot maintain my speed after overtaking.

Last weekend i though i would make it all around RP without getting overtaken. Sods law when i hit dark hill i could see out the corner of my eye another cyclist coming behind me. Thankfully he waited for me to get up and over the hill before blasting past. Nothing worse than getting mugged on a hill :oops:
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    people tear past me all the time but i never seem to catch them up lol :lol::lol: