Which fixie to get?

ebenzo
ebenzo Posts: 26
edited April 2009 in Track
I wasn't sure if there was a sub forum for fixies so I posted this in the nearest one.

I am new the fixed gear scene and was converted after riding my friend's Genesis Flyer.

Ideally I would like something custom but I don't have the time or money (Brick Lane bikes asked was something in the region of £900...)

So I'm looking to buy one "off-the-peg".
Evans do a large range of singlespeed bikes and I'm keen the following bikes:
    Charge Plug Racer £537.99
    Bianchi Pista £599.99
    SE Premium Ale £799.99I would like something that will last me a couple of years (throughout university) and am also keen in the bike looking good, perhaps turn a few heads :P.

Now, I don't know much about specs although I have done a little research regarding the types of frame (butted, lugged, etc) but not sure what exactly they mean in terms of bike performance. Furthermore, how important is geometry?

I understand Charge and Bianchi are well known brands but SE i+seems like a relatively new company; again, not too sure.

I hope you guys can help!

Comments

• grahamcp
      grahamcp Posts: 323
      If you were converted by your friends Flyer, why not get one of those? I love mine.

Other options are the langster (popular, but I prefer my flyer).

And think boardman do one too if you don't mind having his name on the side and can cope with going into halfords/bikehut.
    • I got a Fuji Track. £294 from Winstanleys. Its £350 from Evans.
      It's great, but I'm just using on the track at the moment.

Thinking of converting my old Giant OCR4 to a fixie after I get a new bike
    • ride_whenever
      ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
      on one cromo track bike? bit unusual, only costs a bit over 500, cromo so it'll last forever
    • zippypablo
      zippypablo Posts: 398
      have a look at edinburgh bike co-op
      they've got 2 fixies, flat bar and drops £280 qnd £350 respectively. Also doing 15% off over this weekend (fri-sun)
      If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
    • Pete Beer
      Pete Beer Posts: 604
      The Bianchi is a great starter or a Condor, buy 2nd hand and you won't loose money if you decide to sell and build you're own (and you will)............I started with a £90 conversion (which I still have), bought and sold (eventually) a Condor and have now built up about 6, I've still got the best 4.
    • edhornby
      edhornby Posts: 1,780
      have a look on london fixed gear single speed - lfgss

they have a thread called the list of lists and in there is a very comprehensive list of off the peg fixed gear bikes (and also lists of everything else...)
      "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
      --Jens Voight
    • torin
      torin Posts: 102
      go to your local bike builder and see if they have a frame

bikes built for you are always comfy
    • blorg
      blorg Posts: 1,169
      I'd say for your first fixie get something relatively cheap and off-the-peg, you can always upgrade it down the road when you are familiar with riding it and know what you want. Second hand is a good idea.
    • I have a pearson touche and love it.

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/index.html?action=97

This link below is reviews of some of the most popular fixed bikes from C+

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/images/C ... _bike1.pdf
    • felix500
      felix500 Posts: 46
      +1 for the Pearson Touche - fantastic frame but go for better wheels if you can. Mine shed metal into the brake blocks from day one and after putting up with it for a year, I've just upgraded to some Halo Aerorages. Front brake also seized after one winter season and couldn't get it sorted despite trying all the obvious things so swapped both brakes for some nice Ultegra long reach jobbies. Now rides like a dream (although crank does creak a little - hmmmm, next excuse for an upgrade?). The guys at Pearson are really helpful if you need any advice.