DIY puncture-proof tyres

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited April 2009 in Workshop
Before I shell out some cash for decent tyres, I want to squeeze every last drop of life from my old crappy ones.

They are softer than butter sometimes... :?

...so i'm looking to do anything I can to increase thier puncture-resistance.

I've been told that you can glue some rim-tape to the inside of the tyres to create a thicker barrier between the road and the innertube.

Does this work?

Are there any more effective methods?

Also, when you get a puncture, and there's a hole left in the tyre - what's the best way to seal it up? Superglue?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Use a narrow tub instead of an inner tube
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Would that not be more expensive than just getting a decent pair of tyres?
  • gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    In the past I have had 2 tires per wheel on my commuter .

Cut the sides off an old tire and place it inside your "real" tire. Can be a bit of a fight , but when in all should be good.

Has saved me from many heartbreaks.

But they are obviously heavier.

(Have had continental gp inside continental gp and michelin pro race inside panaracer)
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    norbert colon lives
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    add stan's no tubes puncture sealant either post puncture or in advance. will seal most holes in my experience. you will need inner tube valves with detachable innards.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Why not fill them with sand. It saves an absolute fortune & they never deflate
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    beach sand not building sand. Much better rolling resistance.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just buy some new tyres if your old tyres are on there way out, no use using beat up tyres that are falling apart.
  • NaB
    NaB Posts: 105
    Tires or should that be tyres inside tyres...never would have thought of that myself :shock: . S**t tyres are not worth saving imo...but a dab of superglue in the cuts can help to extend their life.
    Its about focusing on the positives isn't it...you can view roadside puncture mending as a useful form of interval training much the same as stopping/starting at traffic lights......see if you can get up to 200 revs within 5 mins of a cold start...plus it makes your thumbs stronger...which might be decisive in the final km when your ninja shifting abilities (and humongous chainring) will force the sprint beyond 44 mph and into hyperdrive :lol: