Edinburgh to St Andrew's route

Comments

• fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    screebs wrote:
    themightyw wrote:
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    I've also made the mistake of buying some cycling mags (Cycling Plus and Bicycle Buyer), so I guess I'm finally going to have to take an interest in cycling products.

I'm rather disturbed by how addictive this cycling malarkey is becoming for a load of noobies like us. And more worryingly how much money I'm starting to spend on it :oops:

I'm getting almost as many deliveries from wiggle as my wige gets from next - now that's worrying! Bottomless pit this cycling malarkey! :o

I found that too....I have spent nearly twice as much on extra bits as I did on the bike itself!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    I got an Altura night Vision for the winter and it has been invaluable. Even on the coldest days it kept the chill out as I tend to only wear a couple of T-Shirts underneath it...(even in the -5 degrees that we had this year).

Make sure that you get the Waterproof version as we tend to get hit with good amounts of rain around Edinburgh/Fife. Should set you back around £60 but there are offers on now and then around the UK to get it cheaper.

Interesting, ta 8) I'd probably be looking for the lightest weight one possible, as I tend to wear plenty of baselayers/breathable stuff underneath. Altura seems to come up again and again so they must be doing something right, will look into them. Might see if EBC have any of their stuff in stock on Friday as they're doing 15% off everything again...

Coldest I've been out in is 35 miles at minus four wearing 3 baselayers, one breathable top and my waterproof, and I was fine. The thick leather gloves over my long-finger BG gloves also helped, as did the hiking socks and "longs" *shudder* :lol: But I was warm, so meh :)

To be honest I have no problem with the Altura stuff...Through the winter I was dressed head to toe in it....
    I have found it to be a decent fit with no irritations and also reasonable value...I also have night vision long bibs and Altura over shoes as well as the windproof/waterproof night vision gloves.....The gloves are knackered after one winter as the lining has come loose from the rest of the glove....I can still get my hand in but it is a bit of a pain. I am happy with the service they have given me (around 800 miles) and would be happy to buy another pair.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    However when I asked the assistant about racks he then looked to the high ceiling, where about 30 or 40 racks were hanging from hooks. Did I feel stoopid? Yes I did :lol:

Took it home and discovered the utter joy (seriously!) of the brazed on rack-fittings on my Focus. Tiny bit of bending needed for the rack and the seatstay supports, and it's fitted/all good 8) Well I say that, I was slightly confused as one of the seatstay supports was fouling me noodle (oo-er), but I figured out the support would happily sit on the other side of said noodle with plenty clearance :D Had to mess around with the locations of the pannier clips to minimise them sliding around, but have got it so they can only slide back and forth by 1cm or so, good enough. Even had the presence of mind to ensure that my shoes didn't foul the panniers when locked into the SPD's, there was about an inch of clearance. Very thorough :lol: 8)

I'd be a nice bro and carry her stuff too. It is her birthday on Saturday after all. Seriously 8) Means I can't really give her loads of grief for not keeping up tho :roll: :lol:

Glad you got sorted and can now carry your sisters stuff too! You'll have an excuse to drop by 1mph average now.

You mention having to move your pannier clips - do you mean the ones on top or the one that slides along on the back of the pannier? I didn't realise this could move at first. You can unscrew them and move them or even slide them off and put them back on upside down. You can set them so that they slide over one of the rack stays to stop the pannier moving even one cm. If you worked this out then sorry! but I didn't realise they moved for a long time (never read instructions properly :oops: ).

As for the racks hanging on the ceiling :D .
  • heftyrider
    heftyrider Posts: 70
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    PS welcome to the thread heftyrider, are you going for the St. A's loony run this weekend too?

Thanks tyaxnoob.

yep signed up for this insanity with a friend, looking forward to it. ridiculous how addictive it all is!
  • tyax
    tyax Posts: 106
    fuzzynavel - yep, I'm going to check out the Altura stuff in EBC tomorrow. With the discount I should be able to pick up a Nevis or Night Vision for around £40-45 if I like them. Not as cheap as some websites, but they won't be able to deliver on time now :)

AMcD - yeah the little blue folding clips that do the attaching to the rack. I wasn't supplied with any instruction at all, so I couldn't even RTFM! Only discovered they moved as it their stock positions they fouled the crossbars on the top of the rack :roll: I was doing some cursing about the concept of "universal fit" slightly before I discovered they were movable :lol:
    2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    Not long now - amazing how many imaginary strains and injuries i have felt this week!

Tyaxnoob - Looking like a wet one tomorrow, hope you made it to EBC! :)
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Good luck tomorrow guys. I'm sure you'll all be fine from what I've read. Take it easy and have a good day.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Indeed, good luck all. Can't decide whether it's going to be pelting rain or a warm and windy day.... Iooks like we're going to have to take a guess on the weather. I'll prob play it safe and be wearing shorts and a jersey, with waterproof shoved into the webbing on the fakelbak.

See you all at the Criterion for a pint!
  • AGNI
    AGNI Posts: 140
    Best of luck chaps.

Just checked weather forecast and it looks like there is little wind.

Looking forward to reading about your experience. Great thread
    Still suffering with wind
  • AMcD
    AGNI wrote:
    Best of luck chaps.

Just checked weather forecast and it looks like there is little wind.

That's great news Agni - I think I could cope with most things tomorrow but don't want a headwind. It's so windy on the tops of Dunfermline today.

I've even raised some money for Lepra - well my mum did. I delegated the task to her as I told her she has many more friends (I was creeping) and she had visited a leper village in India this year on a trip with her church. Mum phoned last night to see if I was still on course to finish - she asked if I'd be last - obviously has less confidence in my ability than I have. I said of course I won't be last, hubby says there'll be at least one bloke on a penny farthing behind me :wink: . That put her mind at rest, the joke I think was lost on her :lol: .

I'm just getting organised - have made up my bottles and have two plastic bags with 40g of sports drink as I have run out of bottles and will have to refill at one of the stops. I came on the forum to print off the list that, I think, MightyW posted - save's me having to think of what to take :lol: .
  • tyax
    AMcD wrote:
    I came on the forum to print off the list that, I think, MightyW posted - save's me having to think of what to take :lol: .
    :lol::lol:

Well I'm just about to do my final get stuff together. I have a ridiculously comprehensive list on my phone :roll: :)
    screebs wrote:
    Not long now - amazing how many imaginary strains and injuries i have felt this week!

Tyaxnoob - Looking like a wet one tomorrow, hope you made it to EBC!
    Bloody hell, I thought it was just me who was feeling the imaginary pulled muscles and so on :shock: So much so that I've not been out on the bike at all this week, just daily 45 minute walks :roll:

Yep I made it to EBC and bought the Altura Nevis jacket as recommended 8) I Got a bit of a bargain I think... the XXL one seemed to be marked up at £15 less than all the other Nevis's (Nevisii?), then I got the 15% discount too... so it cost £30 in total. Result? I thought so :D

Good luck everyone, see you by the Gowf Course! 8)
  • screebs
    Tyaxnoob - £30 was very good for that Nevis jacket. I got mine for £35 on the web and that was the cheapest I could find it anywhere. It folds up nice and small - managed to fit mine in my camelback.

Feel as though we should all have big name plates tomorrow as we've been going through this as a virtual group! :D
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • themightyw
    How did everybody get on? I had a blast today (and am convinced that my car was parked behind AMCD's before we started). Pretty lucky with the weather all in all, and was great to roll in to a sunny St As at the end.

Ended up doing 4h 40, with average of 13.9mph. Got in to St As at about quarter past 1. Slower than I'd hoped but the Edinburgh bit was a crawl and my knees fell asleep somewhere around Freuchie. Ended up not stopping, so am ravenous now - 2 gargantuan fillet steaks downstairs waiting to be guzzled as a reward.

Strangest sight of the day? A poor bloke in a hand pedalled machine and charging up towards Crossford. A lady with a toddler in a child seat (I had to do a double take but I'm sure she was part of the race)
  • AMcD
    Hi there MightyW, I had a blast too! Did 5:58, average of 10.9mph. Perhaps would've got over 11 if it wasn't so busy in Edinburgh - but then again might've pushed it too much at the start so you never know :? . Your time is excellent - and no stops too - something for me to aim for next year.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Saw Tyax (Ronnie) and sister Christy just as we set off. I recognised Ronnie's panniers and Christy had 'happy birthday' on her back so by then I was pretty convinced :lol: ! Saw Ronnie and Christy at the bottom of Cleish Hill again. I was surprised they were behind me but they had both had punctures. I didn't stop for rests other than at Kinross (lovely pasta) and Freuchie (lovely tea) but did have to stop for three wees in bushes and putting on and taking off the waterproof, and changing the water bottles. Didn't stop on any hills or 'for a rest' as such so was very pleased. Got soaked for 10 minutes after Cleish Hill - if I had been 10 minutes quicker would have been indoors having me lunch in Kinross :cry: .

Got a bit worried after 60miles because I thought it was all down hill. There were a few very slight inclines which got me worried I'd forgotten some of the route but thankfully the last 3 really were downhill. Just had a long soak and am looking forward to my tea :) .

Once I'd climbed Freuchie hill I was so pleased that the worst was over. The views after Burnturk were fab as the sun had also come out. What a great day - the organisation was great, the tea stops great and everyone seemed to have a great day. And the t-shirt fit! What a bonus!

MightyW, our car was a grey micra and we had two dogs with us. If you were behind I just remember a lady with a baby getting out of passenger seat? Sorry didn't notice you getting out - it was a black car and we joked that we hoped you weren't following us as we weren't sure we were going the right way!
  • themightyw
    AMcD wrote:
    Once I'd climbed Freuchie hill I was so pleased that the worst was over. The views after Burnturk were fab as the sun had also come out. What a great day - the organisation was great, the tea stops great and everyone seemed to have a great day. And the t-shirt fit! What a bonus!

I actually thought they weren't doing T-shirts as I didn't notice them on the stand, then when buying my fillet steak reward at the butchers I spotted a bloke wearing one. Took a wee detour back via the bandstand and nabbed one myself.

Tyax - I should have put 2 and 2 together as we were right behind you on the road out from Edinburgh - the birthday badge should have reminded me!
    AMcD wrote:
    MightyW, our car was a grey micra and we had two dogs with us. If you were behind I just remember a lady with a baby getting out of passenger seat? Sorry didn't notice you getting out - it was a black car and we joked that we hoped you weren't following us as we weren't sure we were going the right way!

Yep, that was us. Had a hunch it was you as I recognised the paniers and jacket! Great work AMCD - impressive time. Peersonally I def reckon the Freuchie hill was the toughest bit, but after that I knew the route and knew it was doable.

Don't feel too bad at all now, though I did just have a cheeky hour of sleep on the sofa ;)
  • tyax
    Birthday celebrations just finished, and I've successfully rehydrated myself. With beer. And some fizzy wine :D

We managed it in 5hrs 15mins, think the average was around 12mph, but due to GPS fails we've no idea! Total time was about 6hrs 50mins 8) Remind me to moan about overloaded panniers tho.... :?

Was very nice to meet Angie (AMcD) twice! :shock: And shocked mightyw was behind us too, probably for the only time during the ride :lol:

Yup, the p*ncture fairy decided to come and kick our asses at Crossford, just before the first climb :roll: Both had simultaneous front punctures, my sis's caused by metal slivers, mine by thorns :roll: No idea how much of our total time was added to by the p$%ctures, would guess 20 mins minimum. But not too fussed, we made it 8)

Will post more tomorrow, once sorted. As for now it's pretty much bed-time. The cycle has weakened me, not the beer and food. Honest :D

Oh, and the Freuchie Hill was indeed the killer. I had to walk for 2/3 of it. The shame! But I was walking up with a guy on a black Trek roadie, so I didn't feel too bad with my 25KG tourer :roll: :lol: :arrow:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Well done everyone for finishing. I managed 4 hours 31 stopping at every rest point and starting in the last 10. Only thing I feel today is a hangover!! The free massage at the end was a god send and the weather in st Andrews was fantastic.

What's the next challenge then? Best way to keep goingis to sign up for another when you're still buzzing
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • AMcD
    Well done Steve, Ronnie and Christy - great times, and punctures too! My bike was a star and didn't feel too heavy even with both panniers. I suppose I cheated after Freuchie when hubby took one pannier to the car with what I no longer needed. I even had a short-sleaved t-shirt in my pannier that I planned to put on if the sun came out - sorry all of you in Freuchie who saw me in my bra for 10 secs whilst changing - at that point I didn't care!

I looked out for you at the end Ronnie whilst sat on the grass bank near to the bandstand - a man with a white and red spotted top was stood up talking to us for a while. He works with my husband and leads the Saturday Spokes rides - what a coincidence. I've been meaning to join them and now will!

There were many creaking bikes going past me - I wondered when they were last oiled :lol: . Hubby said that when he walked back to the car at the start there were still a few getting organised. Two lads had taken a back wheel off and were standing on it obviously trying to get it true :D . Hope they got on OK.

Inspiring sights - an elderley lady in cords, checked shirt and across the body handbag in the toilet queue at Freuchie - I thought she was one of the tea ladies but I passed her walking up Freuchie hill. Saw her arrive at the end - think she was on a hybrid. Also saw the lady with the child on the back resting at the tops after Burnturk. She looked very fresh and was telling her child some interesting story - don't think I'd have had the breath :oops: .

Also a guy with a baby sat on the crossbar in a great contraption that let the baby rest his head on a padded mat - must say the baby looked sort of bored :lol: . And the guy with the bare feet, the guy on the hand driven bike, the Bromptons, the young teenage girl out with mum and dad I think, also a young lad heared asking his dad "how long have we been riding now dad?" :D . 3 hours was the reply.

Oh, MightyW, I'm now worried that you heared me talking to the dogs as if they were children :oops: . I know they're not, honestly :D .
  • themightyw
    It did make me chuckle at the start when all of us were standing round with our carefully selected shorts, wicking tops, cleat shoes etc and there was a 13 yr old lad with a knackered MTB, jeans and a T shirt. I bet he beat us all...
  • AMcD
    MightyW - I'm sorry I missed you yesterday - I asked my husband to take a photo of anyone he sees in a pink lycra catsuit..........he found this guy, was it you?
    MightyW.jpg
  • themightyw
    AMcD wrote:
    MightyW - I'm sorry I missed you yesterday - I asked my husband to take a photo of anyone he sees in a pink lycra catsuit..........he found this guy, was it you?
    MightyW.jpg

Absolutely not - there's no way you'd catch me dead wearing such terrible shoes.
  • screebs
    Well done all - is it a bit too early to sign up for next year?

4hrs 55minutes cycling time for me - as expected, mightyw pulled away from me near the top of Cleish hill never to be seen again until the bandstand at st Andrews.

Didn't think cleish was too bad but the hill after Fruechie was too much for me - I walked the last 100 metres I have to admit!

AMcD/Tyxanoob - well done, all the hard work was worth it then!

Have to admit, the 3.5 miles from the bus drop off in Edinburgh to my car were among the worst of the day! Got home at 10.30pm tired but happy!
  • screebs
    There were some great sights yesterday - the girl with the shopper complete with wicker basket, the woman dressed in a long skirt as if she was popping to the shops, the old couple on the tandem, the young lad (aged about 10) with a kids Raleigh racer cycling with his dad, the guy with the hand powered bike and me trying to get up the path to the Forth Road Bridge whilst clipped in (not a good idea)!
  • tyax
    Well, my butt hurts.

But other than that, it was all good 8) Walked up 2/3 of Freuchie with a guy on a Trek roadie, with full-on lycra, them sticky-out cleated shoes and so on, so I didn't feel so bad. My sis made it all the way up on her creaking/squeaking Schwinn MTB that's never been serviced and has had minimal maintenance, and cost her £120 to buy. There's a lesson there for all of us :lol:

My fave sights were, in no particular order:

The two guys on the fixies, whose I kept flying past on the downhills, and who powered past me on the climbs. They must have had thighs the size of my waist :shock: But damn, those bikes looked awesome. Especially parked outside the nearest pub when we were leaving St. Andrews 8)

The Edinburgh Bicycle support van halfway thru changing our second puncture, finished the job for us, and gave my sis another tube for nowt in case she had another blowout. Thanks guys :) I wanted to produce reciepts to prove that I use EBC with regular monotony, but I had none, and suspect it would have been irrelevant anyway :D

The guy using the hand-cycle. I saw him on various occasions, and every time I felt like a moan about my legs, I thought of him. My OH is disabled and uses a wheelchair, so I'm aware of the challenges, and thinking about doing that journey using arms alone was genuinely humbling. Well done to him 8)

The lady (for she can only have been that!) on the steel shopper who NEVER appeared out of breath, never appeared to have any nutrition whatsoever (I imagine she survived on cups of tea at the rests) and appeared to be packing nothing more serious than a cardigan for weather protection :shock:

The couple on the tandem, especially the bloke off the front who had stopped at the top of the Crossford climb for a fag :shock: :lol:

There will be more, I'm sure :D
  • themightyw
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    The lady (for she can only have been that!) on the steel shopper who NEVER appeared out of breath, never appeared to have any nutrition whatsoever (I imagine she survived on cups of tea at the rests) and appeared to be packing nothing more serious than a cardigan for weather protection :shock:

:lol::lol:

She was pure class - she was getting everyone going near the start, and chatting away to people even while going up the first hill. What a legend.

Anyone got any general photos of the event by the way?
  • tyax
    I have a few pics from the start, but they're pretty damn poor. Once moving we only took pics at the top of Cleish, forgot after that :oops:

I've got some video footage from my ATC Action Cam Piece Of Crap, but as it's such a piece of crap and was mounted on my bard I'll have to do some serious editing to get rid of the shakiness. I'll post them all up once I've got em sorted 8)

Anyone been back out on their bike yet? My first time back out will be on Wednesday to cycle to the Blood Tranfusion Centre to give my first ever platelet donation. It's been an altruistic June for me :lol: :roll: :wink:

Speaking of which, how did everyone do in terms of sponsorship? I think I'm at about £330 which I'm fairly chuffed about :D
  • This was my first attempt at this ride and really enjoyed it. Time was 4hrs 54 mins for 72 miles which gave me an average of 14.67 MPH(which included the short ride from Lanark to catch the 6.40am train at Carstairs ).

Just got to the start as the riders were pulling out, was amazed at how many riders there were and even more amazed at the amount of female riders there were, hardly see any females cycling around my part of the world.

Was very well organised and went smoothly indeed, will definately be doing it again next year. Weather wasnt too bad, just the odd rain shower now and then, was great to arrive in the sunshine in St Andrews.

Managed up Cleish HIll (wasnt nearly as hard as I expected, even managed up Freuchie hill no problem, but I think if there had been another hill like it in the last 6 miles I would have died on it lol

All in all - it was a great experience :)
    Skinny Git on a Bianchi.
  • AMcD
    Hi Y'all,

Yes I've uploaded some general photos and will post a link once I can get back on the PC at home - hubby in hospital and in-laws using the spare room / office - I'm having withdrawal from the forum. A mad week and haven't had a minute to think about getting out on the bike. What a shame :lol: ! Actually leg muscles have been very tired since Saturday - dog walks taking twice as long :oops: - usually it's just my knees that ache after a long ride but the muscles must've been stretched to their limit I think :lol: .

Seriously, looking forward to getting going again on Friday and will be doing long runs around 4 hours every other week instead, and 2 hours on the other weekends. Once I've found something else to train for I'll be back to weekly long runs. Can't remember ever thinking that I'd one day consier a 2 hour run as 'short' :D .
  • AMcD
    Oh, and my mum got me £100 in sponsorship for Lepra. Just over £1.30 a mile - I feel my effort was worth more than that :lol: .

Now must get back to work :cry:
  • themightyw
    Look forward to seeing the photos, AMCD! We need to find a decent 100miler to work towards. I had considered the Caledonia Etape or the Trossachs Ton next year, but they do sound a pretty steep jump in difficulty.

Still haven't been out on the bike either but have been a tad under the weather.

I'm feeling sorely tempted to buy my bike a wee reward of two... What is it about cycling that makes it so compulsive to spend money!