Edinburgh to St Andrew's route

Comments

• screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    themightyw wrote:
    My fakelback carries about 4l of water, and yesterday kept my keys, phone, a couple of chicken breasts, spare tyre and repair kit in it. Not sure you'll be able to fit your make up, powder mirror and boyzone CDs in there though.

I'll bring it in so you can take a look.

Mighty W - Ended up buying a 2l camelback from wiggle - looked at them in Halfords yesterday and it looks just the job. So no need for you to bring yours in.

Cheers
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    AMcD wrote:
    To confuse things the official cycle route doesn't go this way I believe. It goes from Freuchie to Kingskettle, then over the A914 at this point and up the road that has Annfield Muir typed over it on the map. Perhaps this is the one you went up MightyW?

Aha! Well looking at my Garmin the route I did followed the 'old' route, but instead of turning off before Langdyke I carried on and went next left - a slightly higher and longer route to Cults Mill it seems. Should be a fair bit easier on the legs then - if you carry straight on you end up with a quarter mile fairly steep ascent - not half as steep as the initial hill, but it was grim when you've already nuked your muscles.

I'm probably going to take it relatively easy between now and then with no long rides - I'll prob go out for 60-90 minutes rides max. I'm already starting to wonder what I'll work towards assuming the event goes ok. Will probably do a 10k run in Anstruther, but I'll miss my bike!

As for weather, AMCD, I'm with you - I'll be placing an order bright but mild, with no wind thank you!
  • themightyw
    screebs wrote:
    Mighty W - Ended up buying a 2l camelback from wiggle - looked at them in Halfords yesterday and it looks just the job. So no need for you to bring yours in.

Cheers

Ah cool. I have mine in the car at the moment but reckon you've done the right thing!
  • Hullo,

new to the blog and did my first 50 mile last weekend in prep for next week. Does anyone have a route map? Also, slightly nervous about the distance - passing 50 has given me some confidence, any advice welcome!

AMcC
  • screebs
    Never went out this weekend, decided to out my bike into my LBS foe a service before next weekend's ride and my trip to France in 3 weeks. Excuses excuses!
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    Hullo,

new to the blog and did my first 50 mile last weekend in prep for next week. Does anyone have a route map? Also, slightly nervous about the distance - passing 50 has given me some confidence, any advice welcome!

AMcC

Welcome fellow Edin-St Andrew's virgin :lol: . Congrats on your 50! I've only got up to 43 but not too worried as there was some left in the tank. Today did an easyish 38 (wanted to do 30 but ended up a bit lost :wink: ). Had a lovely morning - great views to the Ochils on the way out and great views of the Forth on the way back - you can't beat it. I've even got energy left to do the decorating - when I first started doing longer distances I'd have to lie on the sofa for the rest of the day :wink: .

This route was posted by Steve early on in this thread and the one I've been training on. I can't really give too much advice as a beginner myself but my philosophy is to pace yourself, don't grind the gears, liberal amounts of chamois cream :oops: and to drink lots, especially from the moment you set off - don't wait till you're thirsty. Seems to work for me. If you've done 50 I'm sure you'll be fine on the day.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ed ... -Ride-2007

Screebs, I think a bike in full working order is much more important than a last long ride - hope you enjoyed your time off :D . The hard work's now done, roll on next weekend :lol: .
  • themightyw
    Went for a short jog yesterday and a 45 minute 13 mile pedal today - decided against doing anything too hefty incase I sprained or bumped anything. Will probably just go for the same ride (from St As to Craigtoun, then Kemback, up a nice steep hill then rolling down from Strathkinness to St As). I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that you should take ut easy the week before...

Put my bike in for a service and it needed new brake pads so glad I went, though it's picked up a slightly worrying rattle in the last week...
  • themightyw
    Oh, for what it's worth here's my provisional packing list - sure I'll forget something.

Pink skintight cycling catsuit
    Emergency waterproofs
    Gloves
    Cleat shoes
    Helmet
    Camelbak & spare water
    Stopwatch
    Tools
    Spare tubes
    Official info
    Assos cream
    Wallet
    Phone
    Camera
    Sunnies
    Garmin cycle comp
    HRM?
    Pump
    Dried Fruit
    Water bottles
    Energy bars / snacks
  • screebs
    Hullo,

AMcC

If you can do 50 miles, it seems to be widely considered that you'll do the 67 ok - think of marathon runners they don't do training runs of 26 miles! I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you pace yourself.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    themightyw wrote:
    Oh, for what it's worth here's my provisional packing list - sure I'll forget something.

Emergency waterproofs
    Gloves
    Cleat shoes
    Helmet
    Camelbak & spare water
    Stopwatch
    Tools
    Spare tubes
    Official info
    Assos cream
    Wallet
    Phone
    Camera
    Sunnies
    Garmin cycle comp
    HRM?
    Pump
    Dried Fruit
    Water bottles
    Energy bars / snacks

Why do you need an extra stopwatch if you have a garmin....does it not record the time taken?
    You have your butt cream but what about sun block...

I have a night out on the 19th but If I can make it to the start on time then I will join the ride too. Did 22 miles out around Uphall...back down to the A71 and home (Edinburgh) on Friday in a shade over an hour....I'm fit and up for 68 miles! may even try to ride home too and get a train when I can take no more....Nothing like getting stuck in the middle of nowhere to motivate you to keep riding!! :)
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • screebs
    themightyw wrote:

Emergency waterproofs
    Gloves
    Cleat shoes
    Helmet
    Camelbak & spare water
    Stopwatch
    Tools
    Spare tubes
    Official info
    Assos cream
    Wallet
    Phone
    Camera
    Sunnies
    Garmin cycle comp
    HRM?
    Pump
    Dried Fruit
    Water bottles
    Energy bars / snacks

pretty in Pink! oh dear! :shock:
  • fuzzynavel
    screebs wrote:
    themightyw wrote:

Emergency waterproofs
    Gloves
    Cleat shoes
    Helmet
    Camelbak & spare water
    Stopwatch
    Tools
    Spare tubes
    Official info
    Assos cream
    Wallet
    Phone
    Camera
    Sunnies
    Garmin cycle comp
    HRM?
    Pump
    Dried Fruit
    Water bottles
    Energy bars / snacks

I hope mightyW is a girl!
  • tyax
    tyax Posts: 106
    Final week, D-day is near! :shock:

I haven't managed to get out on the bike since last Tuesday for a whole variety of reasons, but I'm not overly concerned :) Will try and get out tonight or tomorrow, then that's it till Saturday.

My panniers arrived from Wiggle and seem great for the money (lots of waterproofing features!), but I can't seem to find a rack with parcel-shelf to fit 700c wheels. Will I get one in time? Who knows :roll:

Weather's looking okay for Saturday, but being Scotland the forecast'll obviously change numerous times before then... I agree with earlier comments that I'd like an overcast day, around 15 degrees and a pleasant SE wind. We'll see :lol:

Slightly concerned as I've not had time to put my bike in for a service, but I'll give it a going over with some allen keys and a can of teflon lube, make sure everything that should be tight is tight, and what should be slippy is slippy :D
    2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)
  • screebs
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    themightyw wrote:

Emergency waterproofs
    Gloves
    Cleat shoes
    Helmet
    Camelbak & spare water
    Stopwatch
    Tools
    Spare tubes
    Official info
    Assos cream
    Wallet
    Phone
    Camera
    Sunnies
    Garmin cycle comp
    HRM?
    Pump
    Dried Fruit
    Water bottles
    Energy bars / snacks

He's a hairy ar5ed bloke - i seriously hope he was joking about that cat suit! :shock:
  • themightyw
    screebs wrote:
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    themightyw wrote:

Emergency waterproofs
    Gloves
    Cleat shoes
    Helmet
    Camelbak & spare water
    Stopwatch
    Tools
    Spare tubes
    Official info
    Assos cream
    Wallet
    Phone
    Camera
    Sunnies
    Garmin cycle comp
    HRM?
    Pump
    Dried Fruit
    Water bottles
    Energy bars / snacks

He's a hairy ar5ed bloke - i seriously hope he was joking about that cat suit! :shock:

Well it would be a good incentive for you to keep in front of me...
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    MightyW - think you forgot the sun tan lotion but then again if you're wearing an all over pink body suit you perhaps will only need a dab on the tops of your ears :lol: . Won't have any problems finding you at the start then :lol: .

I wore shorts :shock: for the first time this weekend. Not liking my knees that was a big achievement for me :oops: - I went out in 3/4 cotton cycling trousers over my padded liners and took off the trousers after 12mins - they were annoying me and probably cutting off the circulation in my thighs - they fit me well until I bend over in them :wink: .

My knees were exposed for the first time in years so it made me pedal fast, and now have two different tan lines on me legs :cry: . As it was the liners are quite thick so just looked like shorts anyway. But I think I'll wear my 3/4 lycra leggings on the day - not as well padded as the liners but don't want to be worried about exposing my knees when I've got 67 miles to think about :D . Oh, and I've decided on my husband's saddle for the day - much comfier than mine this weekend.

Tyax I hope you find a rack soon - I thought all racks covered 700c wheels as I've never had problems getting one before (never thought of the size, just ordered one - perhaps I was just lucky!). Could you phone Wiggle for advice as they are usually very quick to deliver, or your local bike shop might have one in stock?
  • themightyw
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    AMcD - thanks for the info regarding the pannier sizes, I think i'm gonna go ahead and order them

Which ones did you go for?
  • screebs
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    Final week, D-day is near! :shock:

Weather's looking okay for Saturday, but being Scotland the forecast'll obviously change numerous times before then... I agree with earlier comments that I'd like an overcast day, around 15 degrees and a pleasant SE wind. We'll see :lol:

BBC suggesting light rain at present for Saturday - plenty time for that to change!
  • heftyrider
    heftyrider Posts: 70
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    My panniers arrived from Wiggle and seem great for the money (lots of waterproofing features!), but I can't seem to find a rack with parcel-shelf to fit 700c wheels. Will I get one in time? Who knows :roll:

I got one in Edinburgh Coop, they also fitted it for me, took less than 2 minutes.
  • tyax
    AMcD & heftyrider - went to Edinburgh Bicycle last night and picked up a rack, just a dirt-cheap £12 Revolution one specifically meant for 700c wheels. I'd already been in and was cursing due to only seeing what appeared to be a tiny selection of racks, with the only 700c-specific one being £35. I'm not a skinflint, but it's a piece of bent/welded tubular steel, and £35's taking the weewee :o However when I asked the assistant about racks he then looked to the high ceiling, where about 30 or 40 racks were hanging from hooks. Did I feel stoopid? Yes I did :lol:

Took it home and discovered the utter joy (seriously!) of the brazed on rack-fittings on my Focus. Tiny bit of bending needed for the rack and the seatstay supports, and it's fitted/all good 8) Well I say that, I was slightly confused as one of the seatstay supports was fouling me noodle (oo-er), but I figured out the support would happily sit on the other side of said noodle with plenty clearance :D Had to mess around with the locations of the pannier clips to minimise them sliding around, but have got it so they can only slide back and forth by 1cm or so, good enough. Even had the presence of mind to ensure that my shoes didn't foul the panniers when locked into the SPD's, there was about an inch of clearance. Very thorough :lol: 8)

mightyw - went for the DHB front panniers from Wiggle. I was going to get "proper" rear ones, but they've sold out and they don't seem to be back on the site, but having asked AMcD about the size of hers ( :shock: :lol: ) I came to the conclusion the front ones would easily fit everything I needed in them - I'd probably only use one of them, but my sister's riding with me, and I thought I'd be a nice bro and carry her stuff too. It is her birthday on Saturday after all. Seriously 8) Means I can't really give her loads of grief for not keeping up tho :roll: :lol:

screebs - ah that's just typical, I knew that long range forecast wouldn't hold up. Ah well, will bring my jacket :)

PS welcome to the thread heftyrider, are you going for the St. A's loony run this weekend too?
  • themightyw
    Given the delightful weather on my drive in this morning I think I'm going to need to buy a jacket :(
  • screebs
    themightyw wrote:
    Given the delightful weather on my drive in this morning I think I'm going to need to buy a jacket :(

I bought the Altura Nevis Hi-Vis jacket earlier this year from Tredz - cheapest i could find it on web was about £34. Good jacket.
  • tyax
    I bought a £12 packaway hi-viz breathable rain jacket from Mountain Warehouse, because it was cheap :lol:

It's done me this long when cycling in rain, but I fear I should possibly invest in a "proper" cycling one with pockets and stuff for keeping jelly babies and chicken in. Anyone know of ones that go to XXL? Or maybe XXXL knowing how cycling gear makers love to cater to skinnies... :roll: :arrow:
  • fuzzynavel
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    I bought a £12 packaway hi-viz breathable rain jacket from Mountain Warehouse, because it was cheap :lol:

It's done me this long when cycling in rain, but I fear I should possibly invest in a "proper" cycling one with pockets and stuff for keeping jelly babies and chicken in. Anyone know of ones that go to XXL? Or maybe XXXL knowing how cycling gear makers love to cater to skinnies... :roll: :arrow:

I got an Altura night Vision for the winter and it has been invaluable. Even on the coldest days it kept the chill out as I tend to only wear a couple of T-Shirts underneath it...(even in the -5 degrees that we had this year).

Make sure that you get the Waterproof version as we tend to get hit with good amounts of rain around Edinburgh/Fife. Should set you back around £60 but there are offers on now and then around the UK to get it cheaper.
  • screebs
    tyaxnoob wrote:

Here you go - only do the Blue in XXL though - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altur ... 360025729/
  • themightyw
    Given how short on time I am now I just grabbed one of these from the evil Halfords (they've got a buy one get one half price deal on at the mo) - Polaris Orbiter

Gutted that they didn't have one in pink, but it should be small enough to cram into the webbing on the Fakelbak.

I bought an Altura Attack) at the start of the winter - awesome bit of kit, keeps you totally imune from the elements when up on the Fife hills, but it's far too bulky to drag around on Saturday.
  • tyax
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    I got an Altura night Vision for the winter and it has been invaluable. Even on the coldest days it kept the chill out as I tend to only wear a couple of T-Shirts underneath it...(even in the -5 degrees that we had this year).

Make sure that you get the Waterproof version as we tend to get hit with good amounts of rain around Edinburgh/Fife. Should set you back around £60 but there are offers on now and then around the UK to get it cheaper.

Interesting, ta 8) I'd probably be looking for the lightest weight one possible, as I tend to wear plenty of baselayers/breathable stuff underneath. Altura seems to come up again and again so they must be doing something right, will look into them. Might see if EBC have any of their stuff in stock on Friday as they're doing 15% off everything again...

Coldest I've been out in is 35 miles at minus four wearing 3 baselayers, one breathable top and my waterproof, and I was fine. The thick leather gloves over my long-finger BG gloves also helped, as did the hiking socks and "longs" *shudder* :lol: But I was warm, so meh :)

I've also made the mistake of buying some cycling mags (Cycling Plus and Bicycle Buyer), so I guess I'm finally going to have to take an interest in cycling products. Was a little cheesed off that my DHB Earnley Baggies came last on C+'s shorts test :? I never thought they were as comfy as my Earnley lycra shorts, but wouldn't have thought too much about it if I hadn't seen that review :roll:

EDIT: Ta screebs, I like the look of that. The underarm vents seem like an especially good idea, as it's my arms that get sweaty in my cheapo jacket :oops:

mightyw - this obsession with pink is worrying me :shock:
  • themightyw
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    I've also made the mistake of buying some cycling mags (Cycling Plus and Bicycle Buyer), so I guess I'm finally going to have to take an interest in cycling products.

I'm rather disturbed by how addictive this cycling malarkey is becoming for a load of noobies like us. And more worryingly how much money I'm starting to spend on it :oops:
  • screebs
    themightyw wrote:
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    I've also made the mistake of buying some cycling mags (Cycling Plus and Bicycle Buyer), so I guess I'm finally going to have to take an interest in cycling products.

I'm rather disturbed by how addictive this cycling malarkey is becoming for a load of noobies like us. And more worryingly how much money I'm starting to spend on it :oops:

I'm getting almost as many deliveries from wiggle as my wige gets from next - now that's worrying! Bottomless pit this cycling malarkey! :o
  • tyax
    screebs wrote:
    I'm getting almost as many deliveries from wiggle as my wige gets from next - now that's worrying! Bottomless pit this cycling malarkey! :o
    :lol:

TBH as a hobby I don't think it's all that expensive. Let me qualify that... I know people who've spent £1000 on a single golf club :shock: But then I don't *get* golf, so that may be why I'm shocked :lol: I'm also a car/motorcycle enthusiast, people spend scary money on that stuff. I have a friend who's spent around £15,000 on modifying and fixing his car in the past couple of years, it's just crazy money to me.

But I can justify spending money on a hobby that has the benefit of making me less fat :D

Incidentally EBC (no I don't work for them!) have those Altura jackets mentioned, and their 15% off sale starts on Friday, so I might go in and treat myself on Friday afternoon after work 8) I'm working on the basis that I'll probably spend most of Saturday wearing a rain jacket, and I think I'd boil after 6 hours in my cheapo one with no vents... :?