Edinburgh to St Andrew's route

Comments

• tyax
    tyax Posts: 106
    themightyw wrote:
    My trusty steed is the 2008 Trek 1.5 triple, basically stock but with clipless pedals.
    I am liking! 8)

How do you find it in terms of comfort/safety on the drop bars? Obviously coming from someone who's never ridden drops, and is worried about breaking onesself when I eventually try :lol:

My brain tells me that my hands will adapt to drop levers in the same way that my feet have adjusted to SPD's, but my hands are telling me to get lost :wink:
    2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    Thorn003.jpg

So glad you asked MightyW. It's a Thorn Club Tour which I bought 2nd hand from SJS Cycles. It was basically brand new though, probably a return. I changed the flat bars to drops and bar end shifters. The bars are made for ladies - think they are much less wide and shallower than usual. The steering was strange at first.

It is set up as a triple with a 22t inner ring, which I am not using half as much any more, and good V brakes. It has 165mm cranks for my short legs (only realised they weren't the normal length when cleaning it yesterday :lol: ).

Think Mark Beaumont would be proud of my luggage :lol: . I have a small bag on the frame for tissues, money, mobile and lipstick, sorry chapstick! Also am not ashamed to have a mirror for right hand turns. The mirror wobbles a bit but suits its purpose.

Took the bike apart yesterday after buying £35 worth of special tools :shock: and gave the cogs and chainring a good clean (OK, I did the cleaning and hubby did the stripping and putting back together :lol: ) and changed to my summer tyres (32mm instead of knobbly 37mm). Think the new tyres helped me get over 12mph :lol: .

Have been feeling headachey and dehydrated all afternoon despite drinking loads this morning - also have burnt my arms. Makes a change from last week's downpours.
  • tyax
    AMcD wrote:
    Think Mark Beaumont would be proud of my luggage :lol: . I have a small bag on the frame for tissues, money, mobile and lipstick, sorry chapstick! Also am not ashamed to have a mirror for right hand turns. The mirror wobbles a bit but suits its purpose.

Took the bike apart yesterday after buying £35 worth of special tools :shock: and gave the cogs and chainring a good clean (OK, I did the cleaning and hubby did the stripping and putting back together :lol: ) and changed to my summer tyres (32mm instead of knobbly 37mm). Think the new tyres helped me get over 12mph :lol: .

Have been feeling headachey and dehydrated all afternoon despite drinking loads this morning - also have burnt my arms. Makes a change from last week's downpours.
    I'm liking your mount too AMcD, it screams "PURPOSE", and is the sort of bike that scares me when I'm out and about, because generally anyone riding a tourer like that will look only vaguely like they're trying, but effortlessly kick my butt seven ways to nowhere on the hills, while my lungs explode and I try not to be sick :lol:

That little bag on the top of the frame near the head tube interests me, as I still can't figure out a safe/effective way to get access to essential supplies like jelly babies, flapjacks, and fish suppers (joke) when I'm on the move :D Can I ask what it is, what it's called, and where it's from? :?:

Know where you're coming from re: headaches, in my own past experience that's classic dehydration... but the temp has been nuts the past few days, I'm amazed I've not given myself sunstroke TBH...

Oh and I have to rescind my earlier post - I DID get sunburnt... on the knees, where my baggies rode up. Eedjit :lol:

I'll get a proper photo of my tank up ASAP....
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Sunburn here too, but that was from the BBQ :(

AMcD - That's one impressive bike! Looks beatifully maintained. and decent balance of comfort and speed.

Tyax - My 'other' bike is a hybrid Trek (6 year old 7200 FX from memory, now weighted down beyond belief with child carriers, trailers and paniers). When I first considered getting a road bike I wasn't sure it would make much difference, to be honest, and I only went for it because the hybrid had become such a family wagon that it was impractical for getting out and about for fun.

After reading a few reviews I went for the Trek 1.5 as it seems to be a 'safe' starter bike - good frame that I could upgrade if I got into it all, but not stupid price. It's an entry level road bike, but with a decent base. Mind you I'm sure there are other, better bikes around in that price range.

How did I find the switch from heavy hybrid to relatively light alum racer? First 2 cycles were very odd. Took a while to get used to having the gear levers on the brakes (on my bike anyway) and felt VERY rigid the first time I went over some poor tarmac, but after the 3rd ride I was loving it.

Whereas on the hybrid I'd approach a hill with fear, and a slushy front suspension, I know just pick a gear and hit it. So much more focused and direct than my hybrid. You feel so much more in contact with the road. My hybrid's about the same weight as yours, and it's night and day between the two.

To be honest, I've never had a moment of serious discomfort - if anything I find the riding position more comfy and I spend less time standing up in the saddle pumping my legs like a lunatic. Also it seems I have buttocks of steel as I never yet have felt too much discomfort in thee nether regions. Seemms you can slap cream around like crazy and that's fine though.

I'm biased, but I'd say go for it. I'm sure you could spend a fortune on some souped up mega road machine that's got far more to it than you need, and personally I can see my bike lasting me for a few more years yet. But if you can afford a decent starter you'll notice a huge difference.
  • tyax
    mightyw - that's interesting stuff regarding the roadie, very encouraging! My biggest complaint with any bike is the amount of weight on my wrists - my MTB is terrible as it has a clamp on stem therefore can't really be raised, but the hybrid is fine as it has an old-skool quill stem :) The geometry on the likes of your Trek and the Specialized Allez et al looks a lot higher at the front (therefore comfier!) than the likes of the Focus roadies, which seem very well priced.

I'd definitely be prepared to pay a decent amount for my first road bike, maybe £600-800. From what I can gather, there doesn't seem to be the same overstocking/manufacturing of road bike as with others. I got my Mongoose MTB online (supplied unbuilt) for £280 as it was a previous years model (that retailed for £400), and the Focus was around £220 as Wiggle kept discounting it down from £390 (allegedly :)) at the start of '09. I was happy to take a chance buying those online, but don't think I'd want to do the same with a roadie, as I'd likely be spending a LOT of time on it :D

Biggest problem for me at the moment is storage, there's only just enough room for the MTB and hybrid.... actually there's not even really enough space for them :lol: But a house-move is immenent and should have plenty of room for a roadie. And maybe even a single-speeder as well :idea: :roll: :lol:

mightyw and AMcD - I keep reading about this Cleish Hill, and now have some reservations about it - any further info about it, like gradient, length, total climb etc? Oh and if you could tell me where it is that'd be good too, so I can go and see what I've got to deal with :shock:
  • gordoncp
    gordoncp Posts: 994
    Cleish Hill isn't so bad. There's a wee bit before that that'll open your lungs :wink:
  • themightyw
    I've yet to face the Cleish hill and must admit I don't actually know where it is yet either :oops:

I've driven from Edin to St As a number of times over recent weeks, and have been scanning the horizon to see if I can spot a likely candidate!

Any info appreciated!
  • gordoncp
    gordoncp Posts: 994
    I always found the start if the day's work was from Crossford (point 89 on the map on the link given on page one). Drive the route from there.
  • AMcD
    I agree with Gordon, the road out of Crossford to the A907 has two or three steep bits (sorry haven't yet worked out gradients). Speaking as probably the unfittest amongst us I wouldn't worry about Cleish hill - yes I was in the inner ring but it doesn't get that steep, more long than steep. If you came the other way over Cleish hill then you would be worried (I haven't attempted that yet). Think serious roadies use the other way for hill training - must be mad :lol: .

As I've now completed all the route after the Forth Road Bridge I can safely say the hill after Freuchie is the worst, Crossford comes in at 2nd place, Cleish not so bad at all :lol: .

I've used the link that was posted early on on this thread as Gordon said and have mapped it out on my Anquet maps. Cleish hill (or Loch Glow as more experienced roadies call it) is the road through the forest after you have crossed over the B914. After you've gone over the top the downhill bit to the B9097 is very steep and bendy so take it easy. A friend of my husband went through a fence here when he did the event a few years ago.

Will catch up with the other postings later!
  • tyax
    Thanks for the info gordoncp and the others :)

Would I be right in thinking that this is the roadon google maps?

Also AMcD, can you direct me to the other two horrific hills you mention? I think a wee recce mission may be coming up :lol: :shock:
  • AMcD
    Yes, that's definately what I'd call Cleish hill. Only about the first half to 2/3rds is uphill, the sharp bends on the map is the lovely downhill part.

From here pan down the map a bit so that Dunfermline is showing. Look for the village of Crossford on the A994. The hill is the road from Crossford up to the Carnock Road or A907.

For the other hill pan over quite a bit to the right then up to find Freuchie to the right of Falkland and look for the A914 - you cross over this A road exactly where you see the A914 sign on the map. From here the squiggly bit immediately after the A road is the hilly bit, by the time the road straightens out (on the map) it is slightly downhill if I remember through a cool forrest. You then take the left to Coaltown of Burnturk.

I did my recces a few weeks ago. Good luck!!
  • AMcD
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/-_-/5360021663/

Hi Tyaxnoob, this is the bag I have on my frame. I bought it from my LBS but found it online at Wiggle. The silver cover you see on mine is the integral raincover mentioned in the ad. It has two compartments, the thin one useful for notes, bank cards. It's roomy enough for a mobile phone as well as flapjacks or the like - not long enough for a banana though and you'd have to fold your fish in half :wink: .

Have decided to try jelly babies on my next long ride - thanks for the idea - as the chocolate coated raisins melted in my hands.

I've just realised from my link that Wiggle no longer sell the one I have but hopefully someone might stock it - I only bought it earlier this year. I see they do have a 'mini' Topeak bar bag which appeals to me as I could fit more in and it wouldn't take up too much room against my small handlebars - still it's a bit pricey! :lol: .
  • tyax
    AMcD - ta for the info, I've plotted all the locations onto a personal Google map, so will go out for a nosey :D Am also thinking I could get the route of Bikely, and somehow bodge it into my Garmin 205... will have a think and a play :)

Will have a look at bar top bags too, they seem a great idea for access to grub. Jelly Babies are just the best thing ever when cycling, one of the few times I eat sweeties these days :shock: Also got these Craisin things from Tesco that my OH bought me, they're cranberries with added sugar, top fuel 8)

Anyone getting their bike serviced before the big ride? I'm thinking about putting mine in as I'm paranoid about a breakdown! Got some clicking coming from the bottom bracket, seem to remember the same thing before PfS which made me get it services, and it was really good afterwards 8)
  • themightyw
    Was vaguely considering a service since the poor beast has been hauled around the country getting bashed around on the back of my car for the last couple of weeks. Was going to take some time this weekend to give it a bit of love myself though - I used to spend hours as a wee lad working on my rubbish 50 ton argos bike, but I haven't really 'got to know' tthis bike properly and really should get under the bonnet a bit more.

I've got rather fond of the old gal over the last few months while we've been putting the miles in - I hope I haven't given my bike a pet name before the 20th :)
  • themightyw
    BTW did you guys find that the energy drinks / bars helped? I did my 50 miler with just a wee bottle of water for company, but was planning on taking an energy drink for the last third and a bar or two.
  • tyax
    I done all my own work on my bikes as a kid (some luminous yellow Townsend MTB, then my prized Holdsworth Maxima MTB, which got nicked from the shed :( ), and also used to work on my own car as a skint yoof... happy days :) Nowadays I feel I can justify paying someone else to do it, as I convince myself that my time's too valuable to spend doing maintenance. In reality it's probably more to do with laziness and fear of my own incompetance :lol: The difference with my MTB last year before and after its service was night and day 8)

I definitely find carb drinks help when I'm doing longer runs, and I'm a fan of Gatorade too, which is a cheaper alternative. The bars seem a bit gimmicky but if they're free I'll have them, otherwise it's Jelly Babies, dried fruit, etc etc. I'm interested in the recovery stuff tho, been reading about replacing muscle fibre with protein, but then cooked chicken is a whole lot cheaper than fancy bars :lol:

You done 50 miles on a bottle of water? :? I know it was roasting on Saturday, but for that 50 miler I had 3.5 litres of water, 1.5 litres of carb drink and 1.5 litres of Gatorade, all during the ride, and still felt slightly dehydrated afterwards :shock: For shorter runs at normal temps (<20 miles) I'll stick with water, generally an 800ml bottle full, but for longer/hotter runs I need way more. Dehydration is no fun :arrow:
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    AMcD wrote:
    Hi, as of today I am in training for this event in June but am seriously worried about what hills to expect.

Can anyone help me out with the exact route? I've entered but don't know if you receive a route map with your number or whether you are expected to just follow the other cyclists? There's no details of the route on the LEPRA website and I didn't find any other info by googling.

I really want to know when to expect the hills and to be able to train on the actual route before the day.

I'm not really a beginner to cycling but I am to this type of distance, and being quite overweight every hill is an effort :oops: . Today I managed 11 miles but needed two stops - it was the flattest route I could find from my house and still a struggle :roll: .

Reading this thread, you've come a long way in a relatively short time.

I am also doing the Lepra event on 20th June, having just taken up cycling in March. Now regularly (2/3 times a week) doing 26 miles without any bother - doing 31 tonight and got a 40 planned for the weekend. Hadn't been on a bike for c25 years before this year but looking forward to the Edinburgh St andrews jaunt.

Have diffiiculty finding the time to go for longer rides though - combination of work, a working wife and kids to be honest. Need to try a bit harder i suppose.

This thread is pretty inspiring if truth be told.
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • tyax
    screebs wrote:

I am also doing the Lepra event on 20th June, having just taken up cycling in March. Now regularly (2/3 times a week) doing 26 miles without any bother - doing 31 tonight and got a 40 planned for the weekend. Hadn't been on a bike for c25 years before this year but looking forward to the Edinburgh St andrews jaunt.

Have diffiiculty finding the time to go for longer rides though - combination of work, a working wife and kids to be honest. Need to try a bit harder i suppose.

Good for you screebs, 25 years is a good while to be off two wheels! What are you riding if you don't mind me asking?

if you're putting the mileages you mentioned then I don't think you'll have too many problems with the 67 miler. Of course I'm saying this before my hill recce :lol:

My advice is don't worry about the hills, no-one's going to give a stuff if you get off and walk as I did with one particular bugger of a bump on my last charity ride :)

And you're absolutely right that finding time's the biggest pain in the butt, though I've found that as cycling becomes a proper hobby I start to prioritise it over other things... but then I've no kids to look after so that's probably why :lol:

Good luck with the training and ride, keep us up to date with your progress (and then results!) 8)
  • screebs
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    screebs wrote:

Good for you screebs, 25 years is a good while to be off two wheels! What are you riding if you don't mind me asking?

Boardman team hybrid - road tyres and no suspension but straight bars, got it on the ctw scheme, quite happy with it but if truth be told I'm a bike ignoramus! :D

if you're putting the mileages you mentioned then I don't think you'll have too many problems with the 67 miler. Of course I'm saying this before my hill recce :lol:

My advice is don't worry about the hills, no-one's going to give a stuff if you get off and walk as I did with one particular bugger of a bump on my last charity ride :)

And you're absolutely right that finding time's the biggest pain in the butt, though I've found that as cycling becomes a proper hobby I start to prioritise it over other things... but then I've no kids to look after so that's probably why :lol:

Good luck with the training and ride, keep us up to date with your progress (and then results!) 8)
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • screebs
    Boardman team hybrid - road tyres and no suspension but straight bars, got it on the ctw scheme, quite happy with it but if truth be told I'm a bike ignoramus!

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_team.html
  • tyax
    screebs - Nice, I like the Boardman bikes, have often given them a good look over if I'm in a Halfords that sells them. The bikes get some stick around these parts, but I think most people believe the issue is more about the service from Halfords (there's good ones and bad ones...), the bikes themselves seem to be really good VFM for what you get 8) I seriously wish my employer would partake in C2W :roll:

AMcD - Can you tell me how much space is in your dHB panniers? I was thinking about buyng some as wiggle have given me a discount voucher for not buying off them for a while, but they've no rear ones left, so I figure the front ones might do. As a rough guide, how many 500ml bottles of water could you fit in each? Ta :D
  • screebs
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    screebs - Nice, I like the Boardman bikes, have often given them a good look over if I'm in a Halfords that sells them. The bikes get some stick around these parts, but I think most people believe the issue is more about the service from Halfords (there's good ones and bad ones...), the bikes themselves seem to be really good VFM for what you get 8) I seriously wish my employer would partake in C2W :roll:

To be honest, Halfords in East Kilbride seemed absolutely clueless, so not surprised by any criticism they get - although having been in the BikeHut at St Pauls a few times, I found them to be most helpful. I suppose that is general Halfords v their Bike specialists, so no surprise in the difference in service/knowledge. As for the bike, not had any issues with it at all - just wish i had went for a road bike now rather than a hybrid. There's always next year's CTW scheme!

My local row of shops has a small bike shop and tend to use that for anything i need, happy to give them the business to be honest as they are very helpful and happy to oblige my stupid questions with answers.
  • screebs
    Anyone know what the parking situation is like in Edinburgh at the start of the Lepra event - around Inverleith park?

i'm driving through from Glasgow that morning and need to know that there is somewhere close i can park my car until the bus drops me back off in Edinburgh that evening - don't fancy having to cycle a few miles to get to the start or want my car being towed away! :roll:
  • tyax
    Yup agree re: local bike shops, I try to give them my business whenever possible, but more often that not I'm nearer to Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op when I remember to buy something :?

Parking around Inverleith park is fine most of the time, it's pay and display during the week but free at weekends I think. I suspect it'll be heaving due to the event tho, unless you rock up fairly early doors. It's also very close to the Botanic Gardens, which means the streets tend to clog up quite quickly. I used to work at the nearby Western General Hospital, so know most of the streets around about, and I always used to be able to get parked on or around Grigor Avenue, which has no parking restrictions at any times. If you get really stuck for a space around Inverleith/Fettes/Botanics I'd head there. It's far enough away from Inverleith that most people won't park there (it's just under a mile) but you should be able to pedal down to Inverleith in a couple of minutes. See this map for details :)

That would however make your right 68 miles instead of 67, and hence give you far superior bragging rights :wink:
  • screebs
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    Yup agree re: local bike shops, I try to give them my business whenever possible, but more often that not I'm nearer to Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op when I remember to buy something :?

Parking around Inverleith park is fine most of the time, it's pay and display during the week but free at weekends I think. I suspect it'll be heaving due to the event tho, unless you rock up fairly early doors. It's also very close to the Botanic Gardens, which means the streets tend to clog up quite quickly. I used to work at the nearby Western General Hospital, so know most of the streets around about, and I always used to be able to get parked on or around Grigor Avenue, which has no parking restrictions at any times. If you get really stuck for a space around Inverleith/Fettes/Botanics I'd head there. It's far enough away from Inverleith that most people won't park there (it's just under a mile) but you should be able to pedal down to Inverleith in a couple of minutes. See this map for details :)

That would however make your right 68 miles instead of 67, and hence give you far superior bragging rights :wink:

Thanks for the map and useful info - one question, is it weegie proof? :wink: As for bragging rights, finishing it will be enough for me! :lol:
  • screebs
    Didn't manage to get out last night but just in after doing 31 miles tonight - tougher than I thought. But aiming for 40 miles on Sunday morning, which will be my longest ride yet. Stlll confident I can do the ednburgh to st Andrews if I take it easy on the day. :shock:
  • tyax
    Yep, I'll certify it fully weedge-proof as a displaced Westerner myself :wink:

Mileages sound pretty good, good on you! :D

I was supposed to do two 10-milers this week but thought I'd be smart and commute to work today instead (18-19 miles round). Woke up this morning at 6:15 and it was chucking it down. No chance :lol: Can't stand the thought of sitting at work wringing wet, then having to get back into soaked clothes to get home. No ta. :evil:

Will have to finish early, get home and get out, rain or not. Then 30 miles on Sunday too. Gulp... :?

On the plus side I now have two of those ZipVit boxes of bars/energy drinks/goo, so I'll not be short of swankily-packaged crap to eat/drink on the big ride :D
  • themightyw
    I've got the opposite problem re: travel, as I live in St Andrews. At least once I've finished I can limp into the nearest pub without faffing about with coaches etc. I was actually hoping to catch the train over from Leuchars in the morning before the event, but I reckon the train will be jam packed with lycra types.

It's been a week since I've got out on the bike now so might well try to get out after work tonight.

I remember the days when Friday nights were spent in a guilt free drink fuelled frenzy :cry:
  • screebs
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    Yep, I'll certify it fully weedge-proof as a displaced Westerner myself :wink:

Mileages sound pretty good, good on you! :D

I was supposed to do two 10-milers this week but thought I'd be smart and commute to work today instead (18-19 miles round). Woke up this morning at 6:15 and it was chucking it down. No chance :lol: Can't stand the thought of sitting at work wringing wet, then having to get back into soaked clothes to get home. No ta. :evil:

Will have to finish early, get home and get out, rain or not. Then 30 miles on Sunday too. Gulp... :?

On the plus side I now have two of those ZipVit boxes of bars/energy drinks/goo, so I'll not be short of swankily-packaged crap to eat/drink on the big ride :D

Cycling to work in the rain is not good is it! And putting wet clothes on for cycle home is even worse! :shock:

On the bars/energy drinks/goo front, i know i probably should, but don't know where to start to be honest! Think i'll stick to water, jelly babies and dried pineapple!
  • AMcD
    screebs wrote:

Thanks Screebs - sorry I haven't posted for a while - have been to busy contemplating going out for a ride :wink: . Did a 7am ride again on Tuesday and should really head out tonight but have been digging the garden and feel like just slobbing out after tea.

I think you are doing great with your distances what with working full time and having kids too. I think you're trying very hard. I only have two dogs to worry about and only work 3 days per week so really have plenty of time, but little money to spend on bike servicing - will be doing my own :D. Our plan was to keep our weekends free for cycling / running / walking the dogs with all housework banned at the weekend and done on my off days.
    I do feel that I'm making progress, thanks - on my morning ride this week I felt strong in my legs - going in a higher gear up a short, sharp hill and accelerating around a busy roundabout like a pro! It was either get my legs pumping or get hit by white van man :lol: .