Scotland or wales

Shorty12
Shorty12 Posts: 478
edited April 2009 in MTB general
I got the choice of getting away for 4 or so days and i got the choice between south scotland or northish wales so i was wondering what you prefer and whats best. The riding i do is betweeen downhill and xc

Cheers

Comments

• tnwoolley
    tnwoolley Posts: 114
    Gotta be Peebles.

Glentress Black/Red route, Innerleithen XC and downhill.
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    the border country has some good xc riding, but the best riding is further north.

i would go to wales.
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    For North Wales I'd recommend Betws-y-coed for a base to stay. From there you have Llandegla, Penmachno, Coed-y-brenin, Marin trails if that's your bag. Coed-y-brenin has several good trails, The Dragons Back I recommend..... Did 3 days here myself last month and had a ball.....

Not too sure about the of the beaten trak routes though. Never been to Scotland either so can't comment on that
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Scotland every time. All the 7 Stanes are excellent, far better than the Northern Welsh centres in my experience.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • rhysduk
    rhysduk Posts: 138
    Wales:

Welshcakes
    Mountains
    Sheep
    :D 8)

Rhys
    PP Shan & Intense SS2
  • dave_hill
    ...and Welsh people :shock: :cry:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • My grandparents live in Fife anything good near there? (theyre asking me to visit)
  • rhysduk
    dave_hill wrote:
    ...and Welsh people :shock: :cry:

That's gotta be a good thing... Apart from "Duffy".

Rhys
    PP Shan & Intense SS2
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    Scotland every time. I enjoyed my time in Wales but....it wasnt't as good.

Peebles is nice, Glentress n nat. I used to live 20 mins away in Biggar but best bet is to head up the west coast, do some routes that use the West Highland way, I loved the devils stair case and parts of Glen Coe, Tyndrum, Loch Lomond, Ben Glass camp site, Bridge of Orchy, classic memories to say the least!!!
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Callum on a felt f4:-)

Depending on whereabouts you will be in Fife, you are only just over an hour away from Glentress and Innerleithen. The Pentland hills just south of Edinburgh offer some good routes (fair weather preferred) or even Pitmedden Forest just to the North of Auchtermuchty has plenty of trails (singletrack and fireroad).
    Also remember that in Scotland, you can legally ride ALMOST anywhere as long as you use common sense.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Given your choice of destinations I am assuming you are based somewhere in between south scotland or north wales?
    Possibly manchester/yorkshire sort of area-not too far from south scotland or north wales??

Why not get a couple of maps and just get a train (on day 1) that takes you a 3 day ride away from where you live.

Plan and ride a complete route home avoiding as many roads as possible.

You could even try it andy mcnab style - assume all humans are enemies and try to make it home without anyone seeing you!

You could make it more fun by "taking out" anyone who spots you "en route".

This gives you another option if you fail - move to North Scotland or South Wales.
  • rhysduk
    jstock wrote:
    Given your choice of destinations I am assuming you are based somewhere in between south scotland or north wales?
    Possibly manchester/yorkshire sort of area-not too far from south scotland or north wales??

Why not get a couple of maps and just get a train (on day 1) that takes you a 3 day ride away from where you live.

Plan and ride a complete route home avoiding as many roads as possible.

You could even try it andy mcnab style - assume all humans are enemies and try to make it home without anyone seeing you!

You could make it more fun by "taking out" anyone who spots you "en route".

This gives you another option if you fail - move to North Scotland or South Wales.

Love it :lol:
    I can even put you up for a night, with bike washing facilities 8)
    PP Shan & Intense SS2
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    can't speak for Wales....never ridden there.

fife....Falkland Hill has some really gnar DH and freeride trails...with a pretty big road gap...you tube has videos, but there are loads of other hills...arm yourself with a map and go explore.

out of fife....Dunkeld has more gnar DH, and perthshire in general has some great natural riding.

Borders...GT, Innerleithen obviously, but also check out Yair forest and the 3 brethren on the southern upland way....and also caberston forest...good trails there...some natural some built by racers to train on...

Just outside edinburgh there is loads of riding in the Pentland hills (Flotterstone Inn Car Park is a good starting point.)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • scottyjohn
    scottyjohn Posts: 143
    Totally agree about the West Highland Way, if the weather isnt too bad its a great weekend adventure. Stunning scenery, some challenging terrain, all in all excellent!
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    problem with the www is that if its a nice sunny day and a weekend, its filled with ramblers and large groups of scouts, school parties, tourists etc.

best to go about this time of year and during the week if you want some peace.

having said that, i ride my fave bits of it like a madman, all helmeted and padded up. im the sort of person that walkers complain about i guess.
  • Wales is Good.

7 Stanes is better.

Look at the weather but Head North.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Got to Scotland

less Welsh people to deal with
  • ben-1888
    ben-1888 Posts: 59
    im originally from south west of scotlnd and the 7 stanes are amasing... all the way up the west coast is good... as for the west highland way it is just getting into walking season as my parents are going to do it this weekend... and i know that they couldnt even get somewhere to stay everynite as everywhere was booked up! so probably lots of borin walkers. Dont want to skelp a dog! never been to wales so cant comment on that! Agree though that scotland definatly has MUCH fewer welsh folks!
  • dave_hill
    ednino wrote:
    Got to Scotland

rhysduk

You noticing a pattern emerging here??? :lol:

Could be worse I suppose. You could be French :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    Hmmm just fitted my XT mech so all i need is a few set of pads then ill have to book the place
  • rhysduk
    dave_hill wrote:
    ednino wrote:
    Got to Scotland

rhysduk

You noticing a pattern emerging here??? :lol:

Could be worse I suppose. You could be French :shock:

Unfortunately yes...
    People don't want to admit they'd rather go to wales in case they get their bike's pinched. :lol:
    But what can I say... nothing beats lamb & mint sauce with roast pots 8)
    PP Shan & Intense SS2