Hollowtech II Bottom Brackets

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,062
edited April 2009 in Workshop
I'm just about to order a replacement BB and noticed the price difference between 105 & Dura Ace BB is only a couple of £ should I therefore get the Dura Ace? would there be any noticeable difference?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the DA might be a tad lighter but it'll be not much, but whether the lighter DA is as durable I don't know. I suspect there's not much in it, in reality, and it is more sensitive to fitting it properly and not over-preloading the bearings, than the model you're using.

I've used Ultegra cups in the past and they were fine.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Had the same predicament a few months back when replacing my square taper BB for a HTII. Went for the 105 which although only about £2 cheaper than the Ultegra and about £10 cheaper than the DA (ebay), most of my research seemed to indicate that the 105 was more robust and longer lasting. Not being one to worry too much about performance, I thought that cheaper + longer lasting = best VFM. Funny thing is though, I couldn't actually ascertain why it was considered more longer lasting? :?:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    Mmm interesting I was under the impression that Dura Ace was all round better made and more durable, I'll give it a go after all it's only a couple of pounds.

Is there a knack to getting the preload just right, i've installed a couple myself and they seem to be smooth with no play unlike the factory fitted mess on my Trek.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I think the 105 is rumoured to be longer lasting because it is heavier and the dura-ace weaker because it is lighter... not the most compelling argument. I have an ultegra so am sitting firmlyon the fence however you look at it!