Few Boardman Team HT niggles

teulk
teulk Posts: 557
edited April 2009 in MTB general
Theres a vibrating sound (well more of a wasp in a jar noise if you know what i mean) comming from the front wheel when i hit about 14mph, for the life of me i cant find where its comming from. Im thinking perhaps its a brake pad or perhaps a loose spoke. Also today i have a creaking noise which i think is coming from the crank, i dont know if this is just coincidence but before i went out i adjusted my cleat positioning and tightened the tension on my pedals - do cleats and pedals creak ? The last time i heard a noise like this was on my old bike when the handle bar stem bolts were loose - def not the hadnle bars tho as it makes the noise if i ride with no hands. Any ideas ?
Boardman Team 09 HT
Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
Specialized Secteur Elite 2011

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You have the bike !

Check for loose spokes and brake pads.

Then check what else could be loose ?

You'll get a million different answers from strangers off the net who havent got your particular bike. Like me. ..
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I will do some serious checking tomorrow cos the noise is driving me crazy.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Creaking could be the bottom bracket.Check everything is tightened up.Sometimes just tightening the bb cups does the trick.
    Have you taken the wheel out of the forks,to check it.Spin it,check hub bearing not loose,and disc is fully tightened and not warped.
    With problems like this,you need to go through each component step by step,to eliminate each possible source of the noise.

Cleats and shoes can make a noise,try spraying a bit of WD40 on cleat and pedal interfaces.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    The buzzing could be the valve lock ring being loose, I take it you hav Presta's ?

Or Brake lines and cables vibrating against each other?

My SPD cleats creak on my Specialized Taho Shoes.

Cheehee
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    The wasp-in-jar noise sounds like something to do with the brake pads/rotor. The creaking could be any one of a hundred things, but if you've been fiddling about with your cleats/pedals that would be an obvious place to start as they sure can creak.
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    some tyres make a buzzing noise when you reach a certain speed... yeah my spuds creak some days, and dont others.