Rim drilling question

mtbikerboy
mtbikerboy Posts: 325
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I think i already know the answer to this one, but just checking as i dont want to make a mess...

Would there be any problem from drilling my rims (single track sl1) in order to enlarge the valve hole to accomodate a shreadar valve. I utterly detest Presta, they're too fragile!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will invalidate any warranty. But it is an 8mm drill bit that you need ;-)

I don't find presta fragile - some DHers use them too!
  • There is nothing wrong prestas but they are best if your pump has a flexible connector, so as not to strain them. Having said that I only use Schraeders.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • mtbikerboy
    Thanks.

The reason i dont like presta is that the tip tends to bend quite easily while pumping no matter how much care is taken, eventually weakens and breaks. Very frustrating when this happens when on your last spare tube out on the trails.

I would rather not worry about that^^ and just pump away with all the force i can master .
  • mtbikerboy
    There is nothing wrong prestas but they are best if your pump has a flexible connector, so as not to strain them. Having said that I only use Schraeders.

My pump doesn't have a flexible connector :cry:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fix a brass converter widget to the valve. You can get them from Halfords for a quid (in the Woods valve kit). Just screws on and makes takes a Shrader pump then.
  • mtbikerboy
    I might try that. Thanks again
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Yes you can open up the hole to schraeder size with a drill bit but it can go horribly wrong. There was a thread on Mtbr.com forum with pictures showing what happened when someone got it wrong. The correct tool to use is a reamer like this.

http://www.avenue35.co.uk/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=22523

If your going to use a drill bit make sure it is nice and sharp (brand new is best) and make sure you go at it easy and keep checking you are going in straight.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mtbikerboy
    Update: i bought the Woods Kit and i'm now using that brass converter thing to protect the delicate prestas while pumpimg
    ...so now no need to drill rims :)