Spokes coming loose on my Specialized Allez 09 road bike!!

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited March 2009 in Workshop
Hi All,

I purchased a Specialized Allez 09 road bike a couple of months ago and so far touch wood (tapping head) the bike has been superb :D with the exception of spokes coming loose on the front wheel :(

Does anyone else have a Specialized Allez 09 road bike and suffer with the same problem? Is there a solution apart from keep tightening them up all the time or buyng better wheels?

I think the cause of them coming loose is mainly due to the extremely poor road surfaces with rattle the bones and the wheels.

Any info or advice would be greatly recieved.

Tino.
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    get them hand finished, so re-tensioned really evenly, that should stop them coming loose
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I had the same problem with my Scott road bike last year. The problem was apparently down to the spoke pattern and the shop ended up doing a complete new front wheel with the spokes in a different pattern. I know nothing about wheels or why the pattern of the spokes would make a difference but since they did this I've had no problems.
    If it'll help I can post a link to the original spec bike and try to get a pic of how it looks now.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The bike shop you bought it from should be prepared to retension the wheel properly. Many front wheels are radially spoked purely for cosmetic reasons because the lack of spoke crossing means a weaker wheel and more inclination for the spokes to loosen. Ask for some Loctite on the spokes too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Yep, take it back to the shop you bought it from & see what they say. They may just re-tension it but if a lot have come undone they might be able to wangle a replacement out of the supplier.

Either way, ask your shop for a temporary wheel to keep you on the road in the meantime.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Hey Tino

I've got the same bike and have had exactly the same problem. It is an amazing bike for the money and the machine built wheels were obviously one of the few neglected areas of the build. As someone else recommended, I got the wheels tensioned by a local wheel builder and they have since (touch wood) been great, even on some pretty pot-holed sussex roads.

Don't let this put you off the bike. Once that issue is sorted, it's a really enjoyable bike to ride.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Oh yeah, and (if you haven't already) change the tyres ASAP.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Thanks very much for all of your replies. I got the bike from Evans and it has already been back to them once for its six week free service.

When I took it in I explained the problem with the spokes and they advised that its due to the wheels being machine built and that they would sort it out.

It was fine for about a week after the service but the problem has now arrisen once again.

Im gonna just take it back in.

Thanks again,

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!