Thinking about a Rock Lobster

Comments

• turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    You want to replace XT mechs with SLX or Deore? I'm sure there's a few on here that will swap with you![/quote]

besides weight ,why are XT better ??
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    turpinr wrote:
    You want to replace XT mechs with SLX or Deore? I'm sure there's a few on here that will swap with you!

besides weight ,why are XT better ??[/quote]

Apart from weighing less, they're better quality, smoother and more precise. It seems odd that you're not happy with XT so have decided to downgrade, that's all. Most people go the other way - hence a lot of people would probably swap with you.

What don't you like about them? Have you tried SRAM as an alternative?
  • turpinr
    the other bike i have has all deore. ie hubs ,mechs & shifters and i can't tell any difference .in fact i prefer the deore shifters,so won't be putting XT back on when the current ones are done.i do like the XT hubs and cassette though and no i haven't tried sram.
  • adb1006
    Is your XT set-up well? I'm not a Shimano fan (hence the SRAM recommendation), but even i have to admit that my mates full XT is a quality groupset - very smooth and slick feeling. Personally i just prefer the direct (clunk) of the SRAM.
  • turpinr
    yeah its well set-up.my mate has an 08 rockhopper and his shifters(deore) are much snickier than mine
    .i do have a sram chain on because the p-link makes cleaning the chain a doddle
  • adb1006
    An 08 Rockhopper is what my mate has that i referred to in my previous post! He upgraded the deore shifters/front mech and LX rear mech to full XT. 8)
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    XT rear mechs are a lot smoother than SLX, I'm running SLX rear on the commie at the moment after farking my XT one and the difference is noticeable.

adb go with the thomson, you know you want to :twisted:
  • adb1006
    pdid wrote:

Ha! I like the look of the Thomson but it doesn't seem that light - in fact i think it's heavier than the RF one. Think that's probably why i went for the RF in the first place - couldn't find lighter for cheaper at the time!
  • pdid
    turpinr wrote:
    yeah its well set-up.my mate has an 08 rockhopper and his shifters(deore) are much snickier than mine
    .i do have a sram chain on because the p-link makes cleaning the chain a doddle

Deore are snickier your right, I think Shimano designed the XT shifters to have a crisper more precise feel.
  • pdid
    adb1006 wrote:
    pdid wrote:

Ha! I like the look of the Thomson but it doesn't seem that light - in fact i think it's heavier than the RF one. Think that's probably why i went for the RF in the first place - couldn't find lighter for cheaper at the time!

The difference is negliable, if your counting every gram then fair enough. I think the mods I've made to mine have increased the weight apart from tyres. Not done much mind, new back wheel, new grips and a new seat collar. Bike was pretty much my ideal when I bought it.
  • boy on bike
    boy on bike Posts: 139
    I checked with Merlin today: they only do Rock Lobsters with Shimano now - no SRAM option :(
  • zerolight
    zerolight Posts: 155
    So Merlin got back to me. To upgrade the SLX spec bike to SRAM X9 kit, Avid Elixr R brakes, and DMR Flat Pedals would only add another £45 to the price. Very very tempting. The other half is convincing me that really, if we are sensible, we should wait a few months to clear some existing debt first. Probably a good idea. But still, I want. Then again, I'm also drooling over a Santa Cruz Chameleon too.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc
  • pdid
    zerolight wrote:
    So Merlin got back to me. To upgrade the SLX spec bike to SRAM X9 kit, Avid Elixr R brakes, and DMR Flat Pedals would only add another £45 to the price. Very very tempting. The other half is convincing me that really, if we are sensible, we should wait a few months to clear some existing debt first. Probably a good idea. But still, I want. Then again, I'm also drooling over a Santa Cruz Chameleon too.

Ha ha, my missus said that to me about a week before I bought the Meta. Get it bought :twisted:
  • adb1006
    zerolight wrote:

FFS - are you a man or a mouse :wink:
    Time to show her who wears the trousers!
  • zerolight
    adb1006 wrote:
    zerolight wrote:

FFS - are you a man or a mouse :wink:
    Time to show her who wears the trousers!

I did that last year when I spent over 2.5k on a guitar. I think you only get to wear the trousers bi-annually. Besides, she wants me to spend even more money on a Santa Cruz in 3 months - I'm trying not to argue.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • Move your PC out of the kitchen, then she won't be able to see what you're up to online.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • adb1006
    zerolight wrote:
    I did that last year when I spent over 2.5k on a guitar. I think you only get to wear the trousers bi-annually. Besides, she wants me to spend even more money on a Santa Cruz in 3 months - I'm trying not to argue.

Sweet! What guitar??? I want a Gibson Hummingbird but had to settle for the Epiphone version :cry:
  • zerolight
    Its a James Tyler studio elite.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • ashfanman
    ashfanman Posts: 186
    adb1006 wrote:
    zerolight wrote:
    Cheers for the advice. I have to admit, I'm more worried that the 19" would feel too big. However you're slowly convincing me that isn't a worry.

Like i said, PM me your email address and i'll email you the geometry - has things like standover height etc so you can assess for yourself. 8)

Any chance you could send me the geometry too?
  • adb1006
    ashfanman wrote:
    Any chance you could send me the geometry too?

No worries - just PM me your email address 8)
  • zerolight
    Guys,

What diameter headset is on the Team Tig SL?
    Santa Cruz Hightower
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    how you finding the "hed doctor" it working as good as the sfn? or did merlin still go with a sfn on the build?
  • adb1006
    Merlin didn't build it, i did! They put the headset cups in the frame for me (as i don't have a press) but that's i, i did the rest. The Head Doctor i thought was a PITA to fit personally. However, it feels a bit more sturdy than the old starnuts do!
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    ahh right :) just my cane creek "c2" cheapo has seen better days even with it's new "c2 mk2" bearings in so thinking about a new one, juggling fsa orbit mx, hope and ck hmmm.
  • adb1006
    I was thinking of a Cane Creek - purely for the value, they're decent headsets for that price. I was also considering a CK, but for the price, i thought the Hope represented better value. Plus the Hope is VERY sexy (it'd be even sexier if the jobsworth at Merlin who fitted the cups had lined it up so that the "Hope" logo was central). Also, Merlin don't do the CK's and as they were fitting it to the frame on the same order, i kind of had to buy one off them!

p.s. - my mates Rockhopper came with a Cane Creek - we fitted some new forks to it last night so took the bearings out to clean - they were seriously very clean after over 6 months of regular offroad use/abuse - testament to the seals i guess.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    For headsets, i've got two FSA orbit II XL a race face deus (in my road bike 8) ) and a FSA pig DH. Of that lot i'd recommend the race-face, seriously smooth and doesn't seem to come loose like the others.
  • boy on bike
    boy on bike Posts: 139
    So, to those of you contributing to this thread who own Rock Lobsters, can you answer a few questions?

- Do you have the ally or the steel frame? If the ally, is it comfortable enough to spend all day in the saddle?

- What is the all-up weight of the bike?

- What kind of riding is it good for? Is it more than just XC?

Thanks muchly...
  • adb1006
    So, to those of you contributing to this thread who own Rock Lobsters, can you answer a few questions?

- Do you have the ally or the steel frame? If the ally, is it comfortable enough to spend all day in the saddle?

- What is the all-up weight of the bike?

- What kind of riding is it good for? Is it more than just XC?

Thanks muchly...

Alloy - i think it's very comfortable - done 40-50 miles on it no probs.

Mine weighs about 25lbs but i reckon you could get it to under 22lbs. I went for strength over weight in some areas.

It's pretty much an XC machine.
  • pdid
    adb1006 wrote:
    Alloy - i think it's very comfortable - done 40-50 miles on it no probs.

Mine weighs about 25lbs but i reckon you could get it to under 22lbs. I went for strength over weight in some areas.

It's pretty much an XC machine.

Agree, It will take a bit of stick though, more than adequete for most UK trail centres small jumps and drops not a problem.