rear shock sizes - mongoose otero

seb1188
seb1188 Posts: 16
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Hi,

How important is it to get the same eye to eye size in a new rear shock?

I am considering getting a Mongoose Otero, either Elite or Super, but either way I'd replace the rear shock with one that comes with lock out or pro pedal. They told me 6.5x1.5 (inches), but can I get away with a little more? And what's all this adjustable travel nonsense with the Otero: Heat treated 6000 series alloy frame QR adjustable travel 2.5-4.4"? How can the travel be higher than the stroke length?

Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

Thanks...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is very important.

and easily as the rear is a suspension linkage and not a fork. IE it is not linear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • seb1188
    Thanks for replying. That seriously limits the range of shocks I can stick on it then...
  • seb1188
    What about the difference between coil and air shocks? On a coil of the same eye to eye length, would you get a longer stroke? Is that beneficial?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'd seriously reconsider the Otero if I were you. It is too cheap for a full susser and at that money a hardtail would be much much better.

I looked at the Otero and thought very little of it.

For me, assuming RRP, the cheapest decent full susser available is the Boardman FS range which starts at £800.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • seb1188
    Yeah I realise I should be spending over a thousand on a FS, but I don't have that much cash. And I don't do anything extravagant on my bike - the suspension is purely for comfort and the fact that I can ride further in a day (due to lack of back and bum ache) with it than I ever could without it. Basically, I'd like to have the quality of a hard tail in my price range, but the paths I ride on around here are a bit bumpy - just enough so to make it uncomfortable on a hard tail, but not enough to need a £1,000 bike.

What exactly is it that's so bad about the Otero? If you can tell me specifics, I'll know what to look for. Thanks.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Stick with the provided dimensions - eye to eye and stroke length, or the sus will be working outside it's design parameters (ie you may bottom the tyre on the seat tube etc).

The 2008 Otero Super looks quite well specced, RS front and rear shocks - I'd keep the rear shock.

If spending this much on a bike, then putting a 300 quid rear shock on it, may as well buy a better bike to start with.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    seb1188 wrote:
    What exactly is it that's so bad about the Otero? If you can tell me specifics, I'll know what to look for. Thanks.
    I thought it was heavy and I was not impressed with the spec. Just a personal opinion of course. Also remember that decent rear shocks are not cheap and this is going to push you closer to the price of a Boardman FS - £800.

If you do go ahead and get the Otero Super then try and get hold of the 2008. The 2009 version is lower spec and has a lower quality fork.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    For £500 if that's your budget, you can get better fullsuspension bike than the Otero.
    Worth a look:
    BeOne Nirvana 3.0 2008

And as supersonic said on the Otero Super 2008 you don't have to change anything.