Which Canti brake pads?

Cheeky
Cheeky Posts: 113
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Just bought a singlespeed cross bike with a set of Shimano LX canti brakes and while th ebik ei sgreat, the brakes are, shall we say, poor!

The pads seem to rub horrendously when braking is applied and I'm wondering if there is anything a little more powerful and/or forgiving on the rims?

Thanks

Comments

• rickhotrod
    rickhotrod Posts: 181
    Dump the cantis and fit mini V-brakes!
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    I use Kool Stop Mountain dual compound blocks on my cantis. They've been the best pads of the dozen or so that I've tried.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Sounds like a set up problem, or old, hard pads. I've always liked Kool Stop pads. You could try Eagle Claws if you have a post mount fit. Or try Fibrax or Swissstop Rats.
  • Cheeky
    Cheeky Posts: 113
    rickhotrod wrote:
    Dump the cantis and fit mini V-brakes!

I was actually thinking along those lines!!!

Any recommendations?

Thanks
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    + Koolstop Dual Comp
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Mini-Vs are no better than cantis. They have there own setup problems.
    Get some better pads and check your setup.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    I've just resurrected my old mtb as a winter trainer (before christmas) and i bought some kool stop eagle 2's (pink ones) and took the time to set up the old canti's with new cables as well.

i used to hate the cantis because i thought they were hard to set up. after reading sheldon browns site i was able to set them up properly and they work a treat. the kool stops are great brake pads as well and they seem kind to the rims, especially in the wet.
    regards,
    dbb