If you ride a MTB on the road

2»

Comments

• soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    a new C2W scheme has started at my work but since im still paying for my bike from last year i have to wait until july to get a road bike.... anyway, i was thinking about getting some slicks for my bike but then i wonder if it would be better to get a pair of wheels with slicks (instead of getting the road bike) and just change wheels instead with commuting as im pretty rubbish of changing tyres and it would be cheaper.... :?

i locked my fork once when commuting but i didn't like the feeling of it. :lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Greg T wrote:
    You can, and i have, ride off road with slicks...

You CAN cut your toenails with your lawn mower - doesn't mean you should...

Where have the CX mafia come from anyway? I'm all for tribalism and all that but you guys need to get off the fence on this one...

Which side are you on boys? Which side are you on?

It's horses for courses, ss steel road bike, slick tyres is much quicker on really smooth dusty off-road and gravel paths than a road bike, and you don't need the knobblies slowing you down.

Personally I think steel road bikes are the way to go rather than cx bikes per se...

i did toy with the idea of selling my MTB and getting a CX bike but quite frankly i'm not a fire road lover, and i've done my time with rigid bikes over rock gardens, and for mild rolling along smoother stuff, the old bike i've got is quite happy to roll along off road 20mm tires or not,

the idea of less bikes did appeal for a moment but only a moment...
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    i wonder if it would be better to get a pair of wheels with slicks (instead of getting the road bike) and just change wheels instead with commuting as im pretty rubbish of changing tyres and it would be cheaper.... :?
    I asked that of my LBS and he said something about the chain wearing with the the crank chainring and the gear cassette on the rear wheel - if you suddenly then stick a new wheel on, shiny new cassette - you might find it stresses the chain to breaking faster? Or something?

Someone who knows better will probably elaborate with some actual knowledge...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521

He's a witch!...Burn HIM! :twisted: ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    sarajoy wrote:
    i wonder if it would be better to get a pair of wheels with slicks (instead of getting the road bike) and just change wheels instead with commuting as im pretty rubbish of changing tyres and it would be cheaper.... :?
    I asked that of my LBS and he said something about the chain wearing with the the crank chainring and the gear cassette on the rear wheel - if you suddenly then stick a new wheel on, shiny new cassette - you might find it stresses the chain to breaking faster? Or something?

Yep, better off to buy another bike! ;)

It's a lot less faffing around...just keep the saddle and the pedals the same and you'll be laughing ;)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    sarajoy wrote:

Indeed, in time you chain "meshes" with your cassette and shifting should improve somewhat.
    You could always run 2 chains, use one for each cassette/ wheel combo (if you run SRAM chains you don't even need a tool, of course).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    they do however have to be caught first, i'd imagine it is a bit like foxes hunting horses... the cx guys are faster, but the mtb are more agile...

and if the roadies try chasing, we just hop onto a tiny bit of dirt track where their wheels turn into interesting pretzel shapes and their false teeth rattle out :wink:

You obviously haven't seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CbQOLqZ8IA
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    So where would a slick-tyred, rigid, flat barred 29er fit on the Road/CX/MTB continuum?

I wouldn't mind a Marin Muirwoods 29er myself.
  • Garou
    Garou Posts: 33
    This is all a bit confusing what with differing opinions, but i'm going to stoke the fire nonetheless...

I'm doing an 18 mile each way commute, on an mtb, comprised of a stretch of urban (lots of traffic lights, some potholes etc.) then Richmond Park, through Kingston, a dusty river path around Bushy Park, then some long straight roads into Walton-on-Thames. I have locked-out forks and slick tyres, which seem to make a big difference. My lockout mechanism has already broken once however, so i feel like i'm putting excessive road wear into my mtb, which is so much happier off-road. I occasionally commute on the knobblies so i can off-road a little on the way home, but they are slower and much more puncture-prone, so i do this less and less.

Basically (and i think i know the answer already, just looking for re-assurance) will getting a road bike be a good idea?
    'I'm not in the business; I am the business.'
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    nation wrote:
    So where would a slick-tyred, rigid, flat barred 29er fit on the Road/CX/MTB continuum?

I wouldn't mind a Marin Muirwoods 29er myself.

29ers don't fit anywhere :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • robmanic1
    Garou wrote:
    This is all a bit confusing what with differing opinions, but i'm going to stoke the fire nonetheless...

I'm doing an 18 mile each way commute, on an mtb, comprised of a stretch of urban (lots of traffic lights, some potholes etc.) then Richmond Park, through Kingston, a dusty river path around Bushy Park, then some long straight roads into Walton-on-Thames. I have locked-out forks and slick tyres, which seem to make a big difference. My lockout mechanism has already broken once however, so i feel like i'm putting excessive road wear into my mtb, which is so much happier off-road. I occasionally commute on the knobblies so i can off-road a little on the way home, but they are slower and much more puncture-prone, so i do this less and less.

Basically (and i think i know the answer already, just looking for re-assurance) will getting a road bike be a good idea?

Careful, you're lurking in the nether world here, don't underestimate the power of the "dark side".
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    There's nothing wrong with sitting on the fence, just watch out for the occasional splinter :shock:

I resisted the lure of the road bike for years and finally sucumbed last year, the dark side does indeed have great power. I now have one foot in each camp, but resolutely refuse to accept CX as being the natural path of progression for me :shock: no, never, it's just wrong :twisted:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Garou wrote:

Does your dusty river section look anything like the bridlepath surface as per my commute?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12614964

if so - it'll kill a road bike unless you fit fatter tyres (28-32) and then you run up against fitting mudguards.

You'll need to look at a bike with bigger clearances on the forks, which would be....

anakin_skywalker_hayden_christensen.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • robmanic1

You'll need to look at a bike with bigger clearances on the forks, which would be....

anakin_skywalker_hayden_christensen.jpg

Dear god no, not a, a.................................................HYBRID!!!

• Garou
    Yeah it does look fairly similar to that kind of bridlepath, different colour though.

Do sections like that really stuff road bikes though, or is it just a case of getting the right rims/tyres? Will it cause bent wheels, pinch punctures, or simply a little discomfort?

It is an avoidable section (it actually makes my commute slightly longer by about a mile or so) but it's much nicer than the road...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Garou wrote:
    Yeah it does look fairly similar to that kind of bridlepath, different colour though.

Do sections like that really stuff road bikes though, or is it just a case of getting the right rims/tyres? Will it cause bent wheels, pinch punctures, or simply a little discomfort?

It is an avoidable section (it actually makes my commute slightly longer by about a mile or so) but it's much nicer than the road...

yes

yes

i had various thorns in the 25s

you do rattle a bit :D

The bridlepath was my entire reason for taking to wearing dark capes, breathing weird and cross dressing.... 8)

Best decision I ever made when buying a bike :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    snooks wrote:

heh! only for a moment though i am reducing the fleet from 4 to 3 by giving my old MTB with a stuck seat post, thats little too small any way for child carrying/pootling by lakes duties it's lasted 15 odd years off road so should cope fine!

this leaves, big green = massive hybrid with basket/paniers for shopping/rolling down to pub etc, new ish MTB for trips to downs and swinley forest. and old red for surrey lanes i don't have time for any thing else truth be told.
  • snooks
    edited March 2009
    Garou wrote:

Go the way of the roadie young Garou, the road around bushy park is fast and flat, and the road from/to Walton on Thames is good as well...follow your destiniy, on the black hard stuff it will be faster and you can ride into the surrey hills at the weekend

The Thames is a winding route to take, the roads are straight and flat follow your heart, big chain rings and lots of carbon, you know you want to ;)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    snooks wrote:

this leaves, big green = massive hybrid with basket/paniers for shopping/rolling down to pub

:D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • roger_merriman
    Garou wrote:

assume you mean the river path past hampton court? rather than going though Bushy park, but either way a roadie should be fine i use both when i'm having a potter.

but if you get a roadie you could if one wanted to use either hampton court rd then bridge or Portsmouth rd up to esher and the walton or cut though thames ditton and the molesey's.
  • Garou
    This has got rather exciting. I didn't realise this decision amounted to a fight for the destiny of my soul...
  • snooks
    Garou wrote:
    I didn't realise this decision amounted to a fight for the destiny of my soul...

Haven't you ridden a bike before? :shock:

:D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Garou
    Garou wrote:

assume you mean the river path past hampton court? rather than going though Bushy park, but either way a roadie should be fine i use both when i'm having a potter.

but if you get a roadie you could if one wanted to use either hampton court rd then bridge or Portsmouth rd up to esher and the walton or cut though thames ditton and the molesey's.

Yeah, at the moment i go over the hampton court river path, cross the hampton court bridge, then through the molesey's. Those last few roads would definitely be much more fun on a faster bike...
  • roger_merriman
    Garou wrote:
    Garou wrote:

Yeah, at the moment i go over the hampton court river path, cross the hampton court bridge, then through the molesey's. Those last few roads would definitely be much more fun on a faster bike...

even as a witch i'd agree that you could go a lot faster on a roadie, the roads are fairly traffic light free around there so you can howl along, my club do a training run around there.
  • I mainly commute, but i also like to do so MTBing and xc riding ... huge grip is not required but at least soem tread is neccesary .... can anyone suggest a good tyre for me? thanks
    Giant XTC 3 2009
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I mainly commute, but i also like to do so MTBing and xc riding ... huge grip is not required but at least soem tread is neccesary .... can anyone suggest a good tyre for me? thanks

To fit an MTB? I use Schwalbe Hurricanes for both. They're lightly treaded with knobby edges but the centre section is slick. They work pretty well on the road and they're good on dry trails and gravel. Careful not to lean to hard into corners on the road, the knobby edges don't hold it too well.

They're lethal in mud, though, I swap to Bontrager Jones XR for wet riding.
  • Thanks v much for the help, much appreciated .... So excited just got a Carrera Fury! Cant wait to try it out in siwnley forest!!! :D:D:D:D
    Giant XTC 3 2009
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Lazarus style return of thread

Put slick tyres on it

The difference is astounding, 5 mins off my best time for 9 miles

Not bad for a total spend of £23.38 (City Jets from the Wiggle Fairy)

Will be going clipless when a bigger size arrives in the DHB M1 shoe, might pick up a couple of minutes there as well

Rode the same circuit on Monday night on the road bike, one lap warm up then balls out effort and the results amazed me

MTB with knobblies c45mins
    MTB with slicks c40mins
    Road bike 30min33secs

Now I'm not that much fitter and certainly no thinner.

Reckon most of the time was made up on the steep (for me) climb and a 3 mile section into the wind.

Does anyone have the profile of Richmond Park, I would be interested to find a similar circuit here and do a virtual 3 lap challenge :?:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!