oil on the brake pads...

connor123b
connor123b Posts: 21
edited March 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, back in the winter months when England was covered with snow I decided to go out maybe a once in a lifetime in snow terrain. Everything was ok until the gritters came along, the snow went slushy this then became a bikers worst nightmare if you have aluminium parts as the aluminium oxides more with salt on it and corrodes it. Now I made a silly mistake of cleaning the parts with wd-40 and sprayed loads of it all in the areas where metal parts are showing. And also sprayed the brakes and near the pads. 2 weeks after when I could get a proper use out of them they seemed horrible not making any noises but no power was coming from them they usually are good powerful brakes but recently even some cheap brakes are better. Oh there avid ultimate 7 custom on my specialized by the way so not cheap ones. Personally I think its oil which has penetrated its way through the metal and lubricated the pad I guess I need some new pads or try and get Evans to replace them under warranty correct me if I am wrong?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sounds like you have killed your pads, i dont htink there is any way to repair them and you will need to replace em, bad luck dude.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new pads and clean the rotors well with IPA or meths. ( or a suitable cycle brake cleaner).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown