Caught in the middle...

BiggerBoat
BiggerBoat Posts: 168
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I am having problems with my chain getting “between” gears in the rear cassette. I frequently have to adjust the in-line barrel connector (jagwire?) on the cable just to the side of the STI and move the chain up and down to get it sorted while riding. The problems get worse on mixed terrain, frequent chain ring changes and torques. My groupset is Ultegra-SL (triple) on a Madone 5.2. Am I an idiot or does the in-line barrel connector (fitted as standard) just suck big ones?
We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
Trek Madone 5.2
Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)

Comments

• I have the same problem on my Focus 'Cross (with Jagwire in-line doodad), but not with my Litespeed (without). I notice that the in-line adjuster unadjusts itself over a few rides - I can tell by the amount of silver cable-end-cap visible; when the gears are working well there's 2mm or so visible, a few rides later that will have become less than 0.5 mm, and the gears go biffy again. I've fixed it by adjusting the thing correctly then securely taping it in place. Inelegant but effective.

You're right, the adjusters do suck mightily.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • BiggerBoat
    Thanks Jim - Sounds inelegant but an easy fix, me likie. I'll try this straight away. I wish I could just do without these doofers, more trouble than they are worth?
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME inline cable adjusters are a PITA - remove them, fit a single length of outer, learn to adjust your gears correctly and you should have few problems.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • BiggerBoat
    Thanks Monty - PITA indeed! I was fuming during parts of the Chesh Cat last weekend. My bike sounded like a Ford Model T at times.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)