RS Reba Team 2009 - Is it possible to extend to 120mm?

JxL
JxL Posts: 383
edited July 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Right, getting a bit annoyed now with the mix of different information I have been getting.

I called Merlin a few days ago, and they confirmed you can extend them to 120mm.

I called today to order the forks with 120mm and they said you DEFINITELY cannot extend them as they tried last week...

?????????

Called TFtuned last week and they also said it is possible, just remove the spacer inside.

Here is an official press-release specsheet by RS:

http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog/wp-c ... 0/reba.pdf

What Merlin are saying is that only Team Maxle version can be extended to 120mm, yet on specs sheet it still says all of them (80mm/100mm/120mm).

Who is right??

Is it possible that Merlin have a version which goes against the official specs? (they do not have the u-turn model, but ALL TRAVEL)

advice appreciated, as trying to make a decision and order today.

EDIT:::

Caled TFtuned again, and they said that ALL forks that are supplied are the same and can ALL be adjusted to 80/100/120mm as explained in the specs and forks manual.

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    The team is definately adjustable to 120mm, Merlin probably just don`t want the hassle of having to do it for you. It`s only the 29er that only goes to 100mm.

Try ringing Merlin, instead of talking to the sales guy ask to be put through to service and ask them.

It`s apparantly not difficult to do yourself but I can appreciate if you`re buying it new you want the shop to do it.
  • JxL
    Well I went to Merlin this morning, the mechanic has said he is 100% sure that the ones they have only go up to 100mm as there are no spacers inside when you take them out (there should be 1 spacer to make it 100mm).

Bought them anyway for such a bargain price, will post pics later. I think I will stick to 100mm for now, and send them to TF few months down the line to service and possibly extend them.

Merlin said it could be the batch they got that don't go up to 100mm (although I find it very hard to understand RS doing a completely different product line, going completely against the specs of the forks)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is the problem with places like Merlin buying OE stock - sometimes it is different from the after market stuff. Maybe they are not all travel versions with shorter stanchions.

However they should not be advertiseing them as 120mm compatible and should bloody well find out what they are selling!
  • JxL
    Yes, it might be different stock indeed!

Anyhow, I fitted them... Took me a couple hours but finally all connected.

Right now I think they need pumping up, as I can almost bottom them out by riding and pushing down on forks. Still waiting for RS shocks pump from ebay...

Old and New..

_MG_8914.jpg

Poplock

_MG_8922.jpg

Top view

_MG_8923.jpg

Side

_MG_8925.jpg

I have no idea about air forks, off to read the manual! :D
  • sirtwist
    sirtwist Posts: 3
    did anyone ever extrend their reba team 100mm forks in the end? I've just got my tools and oils - jsut want to know that it's worth the bother before finding it can't be done ;)
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    I serviced my 100mm 2008 Reba SL's last week and noticed that there is a spacer inside. So these, which came stock on my Scott Spark, can be adjusted to 120mm. You will have to take yours apart and have a look. It takes about 1/2 hour doing it the easy way, or 2 hours the RS way.
  • Slo rider
    Slo rider Posts: 45
    Yeah, let all the air out of both chambers, drop the lowers off (by undoing the bolt on the damping side and the nut on the air side by four whole turns, hit with a plastic or rubber hammer until they 'plop' free from the lowers, then remove bolt and nut, and pull off the lowers.) do this over a bowl or bucket to catch the oil.
    Remove the top cap and then take circlip pliers to the circlip on the air side at the bottom of the stancion, remove, and pull out the air assembly. There should be a 'C' shaped plastic spacer underneath the top piston between that and the rubber bump stop, this is to be removed to allow travel adjust. If you cant find one, they aren't adjustable!
    To re-assemble, insert the air assembly into the leg and put the circlip back in the groove, there is a recess in the plastic stop for the clip to sit into, and make sire the circlip goes into groove all the way round.
    Fully extend the damping rod for reassembly.
    Slide on the lowers until you feel it hit the upper bushing, slide them about an inch more then put 16ml of fork oil into each of the lowers through the hole then push home the lowers until the pushrods appear in the holes, the air should come through and the damping rod will be visible inside.
    when lowers tightened up, not too tight mind, turn forks right way up and put 5ml of fork oil (large teaspoon or medicine spoon) into top air chamber and put top cap back.
    Its that simple, sounds long explaining it, but is quite a simple, short job.
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    That's the long way of doing it. You don't have to take the lowers off, just push the spring mechanism out of the top of the leg with a rod.