Can't get rear mech to fit frame

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited March 2009 in Workshop
I didn't expect this problem: I am doing up a new old stock Italian steel frame and I can't get the Campag Chorus rear mech on. The thread on the frame just seems too tight for it. If I force it any more I am going to ruin the threads of either the frame or the mech. It can't be a different size surely? The frames dates from 1995 and the mech from 2003.

Comments

• croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    Is there any paint in the frame thread?This can make it tight.I had this problem with a new frame.To clear the thread I bent an old spoke to a right angle and filed it to a point and scraped the paint out.An alternative is to run a tap through it.Lbs should have one.
    The thread should be M10x1.
  • bice
    Yes, it's paint and rust and no-margin Italian stuff.

I tried threading the mech from the wrong side and have now broken the holding ring on the Chorus mech. A right-off I think if I can't get another. Any thoughts?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Take it to your LBS who will tap-out the threads on the frame hanger. Check the Campagnolo spares breakdown on their website - many parts are available as spares or you might be able to cannibalise / use a part from a cheaper mech. Likewise, see if anyone's got a trashed mech for parts rather than buying a new one.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bice
    I have sent it to Geoffrey Butler Cycles in Croydon who have a part and can do the job. Seemed very professional.