Road Discs vs MTB Discs?

Pennywise
Pennywise Posts: 54
edited March 2009 in MTB general
Is there a difference between mechanical disc brakes for use on a MTB and those for road bike?

I want to put drop bars on a MTB (for good reasons!!), and so need to use Road STI Levers. Can I use this with standard MTB disc brakes (BB5 etc) or do they need to be specific to road levers

sorry for double post, but the same question has to go in Road and MTB Sections

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No, as some calipers are designed to work with the different lever pull of a roadbike.
  • I've not seen a road bike with discs. Have you got an example?

Hybrids which have discs are closer related to MTB geometry than road anyway, I don't think I've ever seen a bike with drop bars and discs.

(With the exception of that F1 design project last week, but a £30k prototype doesn't really count, does it!?)

ETA: Just re-read your question, you couldn't use drop bars with discs, as Super says, the leverage would be different.

What's your reason for having drops on a MTB?
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,708
    Actually, you can. It was done for years before the road calipers started coming out. The brake feels quite different (can't remember if it's mushier or sharper, I think it's mushier) but it works, and the longer levers on STIs means there's loads of power available.

I must admit, I'm tempted to put drops on my MTB...
  • whyamihere
    Hybrids which have discs are closer related to MTB geometry than road anyway, I don't think I've ever seen a bike with drop bars and discs.

(With the exception of that F1 design project last week, but a £30k prototype doesn't really count, does it!?)
    Then you haven't seen many bikes...

Lemond Poprad

Kona Sutra

Focus Mares Cross Disc

Something, not sure what
  • Wow, thanks whyamihere! Some very cool bikes there! I especially like the Lemond and the Kona Sutra. The Kona has a more hybrid look about it, smaller frame with more relaxed geo.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • rackgaki
    rackgaki Posts: 309
    some of them are cross bikes though
    Dont you just love Marin's...i sleep with mine
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    whyamihere wrote:
    Actually, you can. It was done for years before the road calipers started coming out. The brake feels quite different (can't remember if it's mushier or sharper, I think it's mushier) but it works, and the longer levers on STIs means there's loads of power available.

I must admit, I'm tempted to put drops on my MTB...

Yeah, goes a bit squidgy IIRC, like running V brakes with none V brake levers. Can feel really powerful, but harder to adjust the pad to stop it rubbing.
  • whyamihere
    rackgaki wrote:
    some of them are cross bikes though
    Put slicks on. Then they're road bikes. ;)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You could just use a travel adjuster...