Saddle Sore and Bruised!!

GoNads
GoNads Posts: 12
edited March 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi there I'm new so Hello!!

My fiancee has introduced me to the wonderful world of MTB and I'm hooked, we've been out riding Holmbury Hill and Leith Hill as his folks live in Surrey and my confindence is growing by the trip, also doing a few long rides to build up strength and fittnes to tackle trails but finding the damage to the vital areas and also bruises down my legs a bit much.

It's starting to look like my fiancee takes me to the hills to hit my legs with sticks! mostly my left calf and my right knee as has anyone else found this? I've been looking into getting some knee pads to prevent this but don't want to look like an idiot!! also will these actually help?

As for the erm soreness :? ! I have a decent pair of specialzed padded shorts but it's still really painful any advice??

Thanks guys!

Comments

• batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Hello glad your enjoying the new experience.

Scrapes and bruises are all part of it unfortunately!

Knee pads may help but you'll need to find some that are lightweight and comfortable to you, I can't help as I've never worn any personally.

Soreness, well thats another matter, padded shorts help, the correct size saddle for you is paramount, its all to do with your sit bones (goggle it), not too much padding, correct width, correct height and angle, all trial and error.

Chamois cream aswell is beneficial plus knowing when to stand and when to remain seated.

From what you say though your best bet would be to stop riding into things! :wink:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    GoNads wrote:
    It's starting to look like my fiancee takes me to the hills to hit my legs with sticks! mostly my left calf and my right knee as has anyone else found this? I've been looking into getting some knee pads to prevent this but don't want to look like an idiot!! also will these actually help?

Nothing wrong with wearing knee and shin pads - even the pros wear them!! A decent pair will be all-day comfortable and can prevent some nasty injuries. They can get a bit sweaty in warm weather, but personally I'd rather be a bit sweaty than taking a trip to A&E.

For a beginner such as yourself they can also be a great confidence booster.

I swear by my RaceFace Rally FRs - these are a hard-shell model and are comfortable, stable and protect the whole shin down to the ankle, which many don't.
    GoNads wrote:
    As for the erm soreness :? ! I have a decent pair of specialzed padded shorts but it's still really painful any advice??

You may have noticed that men and women are a bit different :roll: . It's not just in the obvious areas either.

The female pelvis is proportionately wider than the male pelvis (it's all to do with popping sprogs out) and as such, your "sit bones" (the two bony lumps that you can feel under your buttocks which you sit on when using any form of saddle, be it bicycle, horse of motorcycle) are further apart than a blokes.

Many saddle manufacturers offer womens models, which have a wider flare at the back than a man's saddle. Women's saddles sometimes also have a cut-away down the centre to relieve pressure and also have a shorter nose. However, this doesn't mean that it a woman's saddle will be correct for you. Saddles are a VERY personal issue and it is really a matter of trial and error finding one which suits.

Specialized offer their Body Geometry saddles in a number of widths for both men and women. Larger Specialized dealers will have the facility to measure how wide your butt is (no really!!) and then supply a saddle which is the correct width for you.

There is also the issue that you WILL get used to it - most new riders find it a bit uncomfortable to start with! Oh, and I'm sure that I don't need to mention that "cleanliness is next to godliness" - make sure you keep everything spick and span!! 8) It can make a heck of a difference.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Good padded shorts a must, but again as mentioned you do get acclimatised to it try altering saddle position as well can make a huge difference.
    As for knee pads- I wear 'em depends on the ride more than anything as Dave says- better wearing them than getting hurt.
    These may be worth a look- not too bulky:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9590
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • GoNads
    GoNads Posts: 12
    Muchos thanks guys, think def going to invest in some knee pads managed to whack my knee with my peddle and I think it's the final straw!!

I'll be looking into the specialized saddle, thanks for that, not sure about my bum being measured!!